What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

A Northern Light
This topic is about A Northern Light
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA set in late 1800s/early 1900s - girl who loves to read - is friends with a black boy. [s]

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ola (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ola | 2 comments I read this book sometime in 2005-2011. The book is medium length and the cover has a thick light blue border and painting-style art in the border. I don't remember the author or title. I think this was a standalone book, not part of a series but I could've just not known about any sequels.

The book is set in the late 1800s/early 1900s, in America. The main character is a girl who lives in the country. I think her mother is dead. She loves to read.

She has a friend who is a black boy and his mother was a former slave. There is a scene where the two of them are picking fiddleheads and the have a game they play which is a "word duel' where they stand back to back and walk away from each other then turn and one person says a word and the other person has to say a synonym of the word and they keep going back and forth until someone can't think of another word.

Later in the story, the boy's mother had been saving money for the boy's school and it gets stolen and she doesn't take it very well.

Her father doesn't want her to work at a hotel/boardinghouse but then they need the money and he allows her to go. There is a part where a couple leaves her a tip on the table and she doesn't know about tips so she runs after them to give them back their money.

A boy starts courting her, but he doesn't really understand her. She realizes that he only wants to marry her because her family's farm borders land he want to buy and farm and he thinks that since she has no brothers, her father will give her the land. He knows that she likes to read and so he buys her a book and she's so excited but when she opens it, it turns out to be a cookbook and she realizes what kind of person she is.

SPOILERS

In the end, after the summer is over, she decides not to marry the guy but takes the train to the city where she is going to go to school.

message 2: by Ayshe (new)

message 3: by Ola (last edited Apr 23, 2019 05:24PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ola | 2 comments YES! This is it! Thank you so much! I'm so happy! I can't wait to reread it. After looking at the book covers, it definitely doesn't have a blue border, so I misremembered that part. Thank you again!