The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

TASK HELP: Spring Challenge 2019 > 50.1 - Bluegrass Pam's Task: 2 is Better than 1!

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited Apr 15, 2019 05:28AM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 4348 comments Mod
50.1 - Bluegrass Pam's Task: 2 is Better than 1!

The three books must total at least 750 pages.
No books with the genres children or kids on the main book page may be used.

Read 3 books:

Book 1: If one author is good, two are better!
Read a book that is a single work collaboration by exactly two authors. A one author name that represents two authors, such as Charles Todd the pen name used by the mother-and-son writing team, Caroline Todd and Charles Todd, works.

Examples: Zeke and Ned by Larry McMurtry & Diana Ossana
Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch by Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman,
Black House by Stephen King & Peter Straub

This list may help Best Books by 2 Authors

Required: If the two authors writing under one name are not clearly identified on the GR author page provide a reference.

Book 2: If you like a single word title, you will love a single compound word title!
Read a book with a single word TITLE that is a compound word. For this task, compound words are made up of two or more smaller words that are combined to make a new word with its own meaning. Each word component must be at least three letters, able to stand on its own and must appear in www.dictionary.com as a part of speech: noun, pronoun, adjective, verb, adverb, preposition.
Subtitles should be ignored. If you read a book in a language other than English the direct translation must fit the compound word definition.
Examples: Middlemarch = middle + march, Quicksand = quick + sand, Cloudstreet = cloud + street, Rosemary: The Hidden Kennedy Daughter = Rose + Mary (both appear in the dictionary linked)

Book 3: If one character’s name in a title works, two names are sure to be a winner!
Read a book with a TITLE that contains either one character name that includes a first and last name OR two character names. The two character names may be first names, last names, full names or any combination. Honorifics, such as Dr, Sir, Mr, Mrs, Herr, Captain, Spanish titles Don and Dona, etc. do NOT count as first names for the one character option. Possessives work.
Subtitles should be ignored.

One character examples: Oliver Twist, Clara Callan, Marie Antoinette: The Journey
Two character examples: Parrot and Olivier in America, The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, Don Carlos and Mary Stuart, Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist

message 2: by Pam (last edited May 02, 2019 06:54PM) (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) These work:

Book 1:
Thieves of Baghdad: One Marine's Passion to Recover the World's Greatest Stolen Treasures
Our Iceberg Is Melting: Changing and Succeeding Under Any Conditions
Powers That Be

Book 2:
These titles are considered compound words:
Bandwidth
Beaglemania
Beartown
Birdsong(s)
Blackout
Candlenight
Cloudwalkers
Heartless
Heartstone
Homegoing
Killshot
Middlesex
Slugfest
Stormbreaker
Summerlong
Touchstone
Whiteout

Book 3:
Vanessa and Virginia
The 7½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle
Silas Marner

message 3: by Pam (last edited Apr 26, 2019 10:10PM) (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) These do not work:

Book 1:

Book 2:
These titles are not considered compound words:
Emma
Kindred

Book 3:
Names are in the subtitle rather than the title.
Something Wonderful: Rodgers and Hammerstein's Broadway Revolution
Queen of Fashion: What Marie Antoinette Wore to the Revolution

message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 4348 comments Mod
This help thread is open!

message 5: by Trish (last edited Apr 15, 2019 03:45AM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2437 comments Morning. So I'd gone through my TBR in preparation to find compound words, and I think I've found myself a selection to choose from. - could you confirm how many, if any of these would be okay.

I'm reasonably confident on these:

Summerlong
Spellbound (although there seem to be lots of other books called Spellbound as well)
Birdsong
Killshot (various books called Killshot)
Bandwidth

And less confident on these, but I thought I'd check

Slugfest
Beaglemania
Blackout, Whiteout (lots of books called these)

Hopefully they're quick yeah/nays

Thanks

message 6: by Cat (new)

Cat (cat_uk) | 2221 comments There's no min word length, right? so Emma works, made up of:
em - noun https://www.dictionary.com/browse/em?s=t
ma - noun (informal) https://www.dictionary.com/browse/ma?s=t

Thanks!

message 7: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) Trish wrote: "Morning. So I'd gone through my TBR in preparation to find compound words, and I think I've found myself a selection to choose from. - could you confirm how many, if any of these would be okay.

I..."

Yes, those all work.

message 8: by Brooklyn (new)

Brooklyn (raynebair) | 303 comments Would this work for book 2: Blindsided ? Thanks.

message 9: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) Cat wrote: "There's no min word length, right? so Emma works, made up of:
em - noun https://www.dictionary.com/browse/em?s=t
ma - noun (informal) https://www.dictionary.com/browse/ma?s=t

Thanks!"

Cat - We clarified the task to state "Each word component must be at least three letters...". With this change, Emma doesn't work.

message 10: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) Brooklyn wrote: "Would this work for book 2: Blindsided ? Thanks."

Yes!

message 11: by Nick (last edited Apr 15, 2019 06:52AM) (new)

Nick (doily) | 2389 comments For book 1, does a memoir written by the memoirist with help from another author work?

I am asking specifically about Thieves of Baghdad: One Marine's Passion to Recover the World's Greatest Stolen Treasures. On its homepage, it is listed with 2 authors, Matthew Bogdanos and William Patrick, though the second one on the book cover is introduced with the word "with."

message 12: by Trish (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2437 comments Bluegrass Pam wrote: "Trish wrote: "Morning. So I'd gone through my TBR in preparation to find compound words, and I think I've found myself a selection to choose from. - could you confirm how many, if any of these would be okay.

Yes, those all work."

Perfect. Thank you.

message 13: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) Nick wrote: "For book 1, does a memoir written by the memoirist with help from another author work?

I am asking specifically about [book:Thieves of Baghdad: One Marine's Passion to Recover the World's Greatest..."

Yes!

message 16: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) Cindie wrote: "does this work for 2:

Bluestockings: The Remarkable Story of the First Women to Fight for an Education? (not sure if subtitle counts)

and book 3:

[book:Queen of Fashion: What Mari..."

Bluestockings works but Queen of Fashion does not since the name is in the subtitle.

message 17: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) Kim wrote: "Let me know if any of these don't work:

Book 1: Sully: My Search for What Really Matters

Book 2: Touchstone
Beartown
Heartstone
[boo..."

Kim - They all work EXCEPT for Something Wonderful since the names are in the subtitle.

message 18: by Cindie (new)

Cindie | 1717 comments Bluegrass Pam wrote: "Cindie wrote: "does this work for 2:

Bluestockings: The Remarkable Story of the First Women to Fight for an Education? (not sure if subtitle counts)

and book 3:

[book:Queen of Fas..."

thanks

message 19: by Sheila (new)

message 20: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) Sheila -Yes, that works.

message 21: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) | 2244 comments Thanks Pam

message 22: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 905 comments For #2

Heartless

message 23: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) Chris wrote: "For #2

Heartless"

Yes.

message 25: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) Julia - Yes, they both work!

message 26: by Aprilleigh (last edited Apr 26, 2019 06:15PM) (new)

Aprilleigh (aprilleighlauer) | 1026 comments My proposed books:

Book 1: Powers That Be
Book 3: Silas Marner
Book 2: Would Kindred work (kind + red)? What about Stormbreaker (MPG lists Young Adult, but neither childrens or kids shows up unless you ask to see the top shelves)?

message 28: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) Laura wrote: "Checking to see if this works:
Book 1
Our Iceberg Is Melting: Changing and Succeeding Under Any Conditionsby John Kotter and Holger Rathgeber

Book 2
[book:Middlesex|..."

Those 3 titles work!

message 29: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) Aprilleigh wrote: "My proposed books:

Book 1: Powers That Be
Book 3: Silas Marner
Book 2: Would Kindred work (kind + red)? What about Stormbreaker (MPG list..."

Book 1 and 3 options are approved. For Book 2, I would not consider Kindred a compound word, even though you can form two words. The split would be Kin/dred and dred is not a word. Yes to Stormbreaker.

message 30: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7516 comments Hey Pam question for book 2
Cloudwalkers - cloud/walkers - clarifying because walker is in dictionary.com but this is the plural of it

message 31: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) Dee - Yes, plurals work.

message 32: by Susan (new)

Susan | 668 comments Hi-
Does Homegoing work for book 2?

Susan

message 33: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) Susan wrote: "Hi-

Susan"

Susan - Yes, Homegoing works. Enjoy!

message 34: by Susan (new)

Susan | 668 comments Bluegrass Pam wrote: "Susan wrote: "Hi-

Susan"

Susan - Yes, Homegoing works. Enjoy!"

Thank you!

message 35: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (bookwrm526) | 1300 comments Would Neverhome work for book 2? It's definitely compound, but since it, in itself, isn't exactly a dictionary word I wasn't sure Thanks!

message 36: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) Jessica- Yes, I approve Neverhome.

message 37: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (bookwrm526) | 1300 comments Pam wrote: "Jessica- Yes, I approve Neverhome."

Thank you :)