All About Books discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
General Archive > May - June Classic Group Read - Nomination Thread

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alannah (new)

Alannah Clarke (alannahclarke) | 11470 comments Mod
It's time once again to nominate your choices for our group classics read, this time for May and June. For convenience, we at AAB are defining a 'classic' as a book that was first published 50 or more years ago, i.e. first published in 1969 or earlier.

Nominations will be run for 10 days and will close late on April 22nd. (10pm UK time) The poll will then run for a week from the 23rd April until the 30th April.

During this time anybody can either nominate or second a book. The 6 books with the most second votes at the end of the 10 day nomination period will go into the poll. Each person can either nominate one book or second one book. There are no limits to the number of seconds a book can receive.

Please only nominate, second or vote for a book you will read with the group if it should win. Please also check that your chosen nomination hasn't been a group read in the past. You can do this by looking at the group bookshelf or browsing through the Group Fiction folder.

If you have any questions on the nominations process please post here, use the 'Ask the Moderators' thread or contact one of the moderators and we will be happy to help

message 2: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 30 comments Hi everyone. I'll have another pop at Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov

message 3: by Alannah (new)

Nominations

Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov

message 4: by Alannah (new)

Paul wrote: "Hi everyone. I'll have another pop at Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov"

Thank you Paul.

message 5: by Tracey (last edited Apr 12, 2019 06:02AM) (new)

Tracey (traceypb) | 1191 comments I'd like to nominate Northanger Abbey Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen I want to try another Jane Austen book as I have an abysmal record with Pride and Prejudice 3 times I tried. I even tried Pride and prejudice Zombies !! :)

message 6: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) I'd like to nominate The Warden by Anthony Trollope, the first book in the Cronichles of Barsetshire.

message 7: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 30 comments Tracey wrote: "I'd like to nominate Northanger Abbey Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen I want to try another Jane Austen book as I have an abysmal record with [book:Pride and Prejudice|5996120..."

It's the only Austen book I actually enjoy, rather than admire.

message 8: by Alannah (new)

Tracey wrote: "I'd like to nominate Northanger Abbey Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen I want to try another Jane Austen book as I have an abysmal record with [book:Pride and Prejudice|5996120..."

Northanger Abbey was my first Austen book, it is a good one to start with.

message 9: by Alannah (new)

Nominations

Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov
Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen
The Warden by Anthony Trollope

message 10: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceypb) | 1191 comments Paul wrote: "Tracey wrote: "I'd like to nominate Northanger Abbey Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen I want to try another Jane Austen book as I have an abysmal record with [book:Pride and Pr..."

I'm hoping it will help me over the mental block I have with P&P Paul.. even if I never love it, I'd like to be able to say I admire it.

message 11: by Alannah (new)

I'm going to second Northanger Abbey, as it's one I have the copy of and been wanting to re-read for some time. I'll be finished with university in mid-June so it's a good time.

message 12: by Alannah (new)

Tracey wrote: "Paul wrote: "Tracey wrote: "I'd like to nominate Northanger Abbey Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen I want to try another Jane Austen book as I have an abysmal record with [book..."

I think it will help, I read P&P after NA and found it enjoyable.

message 13: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceypb) | 1191 comments Thanks Alannah, here's hoping. :)

message 14: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (nancyhamer) | 196 comments I'd like to nominate The Portrait of a Lady by Henry James

message 15: by Karin (new)

Karin | 1923 comments Tracey wrote: "I'd like to nominate Northanger Abbey Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen I want to try another Jane Austen book as I have an abysmal record with [book:Pride and Prejudice|5996120..."

Metafiction! Aspects of the story are based on popular fiction plus novels are mentioned by name in there...if this wins I hope you like it--quite different that P&P.

message 16: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceypb) | 1191 comments Thanks Karin. I hope it wins but I will read it in May regardless, would be nice to discuss it as I'm reading though.

message 17: by Adrian (new)

Adrian | 58 comments Okay, I'm going to have another go at The Midwich Cuckoos by John Wyndham

message 18: by B the BookAddict (new)

B the BookAddict (bthebookaddict) | 8315 comments Nancy, I will second The Portrait of a Lady.

Great choice, Nancy.

message 19: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  | 5 comments I'll second Northanger Abbey.

message 20: by Petra (new)

Petra | 3243 comments Adrian wrote: "Okay, I'm going to have another go at The Midwich Cuckoos by John Wyndham"

I'll second The Midwich Cuckoos.

message 21: by Aqsa (new)

Aqsa (her_747) | 11 comments I second Northanger Abbey.

message 22: by Sam (new)

Sam (buchflimmern) | 70 comments I second Pale Fire.

message 23: by PattyMacDotComma (new)

PattyMacDotComma | 1037 comments I like to nominate My Cousin Rachel by Daphne du Maurier. I don't see it on your bookshelves.

message 24: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Agha-Jaffar | 874 comments I second My Cousin Rachel.

message 25: by Alannah (new)

Nominations

The Warden by Anthony Trollope

Books Going To Poll:
Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen - with three seconds
Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov - with one second
The Portrait of a Lady by Henry James - with one second
The Midwich Cuckoos by John Wyndham - with one second
My Cousin Rachel by Daphne du Maurier - with one second

message 26: by Alannah (new)

Just one spot left! Is the Warden going to take it? Or are we going to get a newcomer?

message 27: by Alannah (new)

Since Northanger Abbey has three seconds, I'm going to swap mine to The Warden to get the poll started.

message 28: by Alannah (new)

POLL IS FILLED!

NOMINATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED!!!

message 29: by Alannah (new)

Here is the link to the poll:

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

message 30: by Alannah (new)

The poll is about to close, last chance to vote if you already haven't

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.