What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Alan Mendelsohn, the Boy from Mars
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA fiction (fantasy?) about middle school misfits who learn important lessons from an inspiring teacher, including yoga and believing in themselves. [s]

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lea (new)

Lea | 3 comments So, this is one of the books that I used to love, but I don't remember many details.

The story is told from the point of view of a male middle school student who is sort of a misfit. He is assigned to (a class? remedial reading? special education? or maybe an ongoing detention group?). The other kids there don't fit in at school, either. The teacher is strange but ultimately inspiring. He teaches the kids things like yoga, believing in themselves.

Here my memory is really sketchy...

***possible spoiler alert***
I think the teacher is an alien and the kids visit another world? I might be remembering two different books with this detail.
****end possible spoiler****

In the end of the book, the teacher needs to leave. The students have learned to believe in themselves. Other kids in the school give the heroes a hard time, upon which the special students show off the yoga that they've learned. I remember the protagonist saying that you have really be careful/ know what you're doing with some of the poses. One of the mean kids gets twisted up when they try to make fun of dead pigeon pose.

So far, I've searched Google for terms like young adult/teen fiction yoga, or young adult fiction "dead pigeon pose." I didnt see any good matches.

The author was male. Maybe his last name started with P or Pi? (I could be imagining this detail on the name; lately I've been reading Dav Pilkey with my kids, he's great and I've got him on my mind). I'm pretty sure the book was set in a junior high/ middle school in the U.S.

I read this book between 1980 and 1988. I got the book either from my (middle?) school library or a public library nearby in the United States.

message 2: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4162 comments Something from Daniel Pinkwater maybe?

message 3: by Lea (new)

Lea | 3 comments Ayshe you are my hero!!! I think it's "Alan Mendelsohn, the Boy from Mars" and I misremembered the details (main second character a trickster friend, not a teacher). It'll take me some time, but I'll get a copy and confirm or correct.

Thanks!!

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34447 comments Mod
Glad you found your book, Lea. Here's the link - Alan Mendelsohn, the Boy from Mars by Daniel Pinkwater.

message 5: by Lea (new)

Lea | 3 comments Thanks Kris :)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Alan Mendelsohn, the Boy from Mars (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Daniel Pinkwater (other topics)