Review Group discussion

You're not alone > How does receiving a bad review make you feel?

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rhian (new)

Rhian (rhianima) | 138 comments Question: how does it *feel* to you when you get a bad review?

I keep seeing posts pop up asking writers how they deal with bad reviews. I thought I'd write some advice our here.

I don't want to just dump the blog link, though. If you have any further advice, or if you disagree completely, or just want to chat, please do. :)

https://rhianwriting.wordpress.com/20...

message 2: by Liz (new)

Liz Kuchel (goodreadscomliz_kuchel) | 1 comments Thank you. A very down to earth review of reviews! It hurts to get a poor review, but something strange inside you screams out for more. The one I hated the most was a 2 star review, with no comment; so frustrating, but maybe saved me from greater misery but saying nothing.

message 3: by Rhian (new)

Rhian (rhianima) | 138 comments Arch, Liz, a silent two-star is just infuriating!

message 4: by Rhian (new)

Rhian (rhianima) | 138 comments My phone autocorrected "argh". Haha.

message 5: by Hector (new)

Hector Fenwick I don't think anyone has got as bad a review as the one I got below. Although it was a review of one of my fanfics, not of a book, I'd like you to read it and tell me how I should feel about it. It's right at the top of this list...

https://www.fanfiction.net/r/13290261/

message 6: by Ned (new)

Ned Huston | 37 comments The review you got is what they call a "hatchet job." It has happened to other writers/celebrities. This was someone doing their best troll imitation. Reviews are supposed to be objective, but this was not an objective review. I think you can safely ignore it because it doesn't actually make any specific criticisms. The reader hated your writing. Okay, that's them. What about your writing? There's nothing in this review about it. No one's writing is perfect, but I don't see any criticisms here. Just a lot of exaggerations. Forget about it. Absolutely deep six it. Pay attention to real criticism and praise. This is phony.

message 7: by David (new)

David McMullen-Sullivan (dsulli) | 35 comments Bad reviews don't bother me. We all get them. That person just isn't your type of reader, and you're not their type of author.

One thing that is frustrating is when someone gives you low marks and does not explain why, no comments, no review, just a star or two. If a reader is going to give such a grade, I feel they should at least explain themselves. Personally, I appreciate real constructive criticism. It's what helps me grow as a writer.

Any additional puzzlement for me is when they give a low grade and then go and read the next book in the series. How bad can it be if you read the next book?

I would love to understand the mindset (someday) of people who do this.

message 8: by Jay (new)

Jay Saph (jaysaph) | 31 comments I can accept a bad review from an everyday reader. They like what they like and that's that. 1 star, 2 star - that is their choice. If it is another author, I would take it with a pinch of salt. Usually, there is some agenda - i.e. someone else has rated them badly and they need to hit out at someone. Unless someone has sold thousand of books and won major prizes, they are in the same boat as everyone else.

message 9: by S. (new)

S. Daisy | 2 comments What is a genuine reviewer like myself to do if I honestly want to offer to review somebody's book for them? Is it allowed? The drawback would be that so many people would instantly assume that I am dishonest or want to charge them for it. I have never and would never accept money in exchange for giving my opinion of a book. I just like to help authors of genuinely good books get the word out about them. If I see an author of very interesting books on Goodreads, is there any rule against me asking if they would like me to review their book for them?

message 10: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Yvette (miriamyvette) | 77 comments Some people like to rain on other's work, and I honestly don't know how they get a kick out of it.

I don't mean genuine ratings, for example, let's say a book was published with the TOC missing some links it can be frustrating for a reader and makes the rating system (whatever it may be to them) justifiable.

But if someone deliberately wants to give you one star and throw some troll keywords because they know it will hurt you, it's sick.

message 11: by Bruce (new)

Bruce (brucearrington) Best advice I learned for the author: do not read your reviews.

message 12: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Yvette (miriamyvette) | 77 comments Bruce wrote: "Best advice I learned for the author: do not read your reviews."

Well said.

message 13: by Stella (new)

Stella Jorette | 22 comments I rarely post a two star review because I rarely make it past the sample of a two star book. When I do, the book had some potential that kept me reading.

If the potential is not met, I post a review with my constructive criticism. Usually, my two stars go to new and/or self published authors. The problems are most commonly - "too much tell" or "protagonist issues (unlikable, dumb as a post, inconsistent" Granted, these issues reflect my personal taste, so I check to see if I am alone in my opinion (I never have been).

I hope the authors do read these reviews because they have promise. My frustration with the story is usually - it could have been so terrific if...

In these cases, I kind of assume the gushy 5 stars are industry or author friends and relatives. But there's no accounting for taste.

message 14: by Joel (new)

Joel Thimell | 29 comments S. wrote: "What is a genuine reviewer like myself to do if I honestly want to offer to review somebody's book for them? Is it allowed? The drawback would be that so many people would instantly assume that I a..."

Like most self-published authors, I work very hard to find appropriate reviewers for my books. (I write in a fairly narrow niche of Biblical fiction.) So when someone volunteers to review my book because they found it on their own, I love it.

I would be shocked if very many writers felt otherwise...

By all means, jump in and make an author's day...