Horror Aficionados discussion

The Strange Case at Misty Ridge
This topic is about The Strange Case at Misty Ridge
Buddy Reads > The Strange Case at Misty Ridge

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Latasha (latasha513) | 10843 comments Mod
We are reading The Strange Case at Misty Ridge starting 4/5/19. Join us- me, Lisa and Rachel.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 2258 comments I have the book but don’t think I can do today. I will have to find the thread again 😊

it doesn't have to be today. i'm starting sometime this weekend. i just used today cause i'm not sure when Rachel & Lisa are starting either.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 2258 comments Oh okay 😊

Melanie | 1656 comments I'm in! David very kindly sent me a link to download a copy because the deal wasn't available here so I'll be starting either tomorrow or Monday when I've finished my other book.

message 6: by Iona (new) - added it

Iona Caldwell | 5 comments I might have to pick this up. Is it something that has to be finished by April? Like a monthly read?

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 2258 comments Iona wrote: "I might have to pick this up. Is it something that has to be finished by April? Like a monthly read?"

No, it’s just a buddy read, go at your own pace. Someone will always be around to comment if you get behind 😊

message 8: by Sea (new)

Sea Caummisar | 109 comments Let me know what the next book is plz! I can't pay 4.99 right now

Sea wrote: "Let me know what the next book is plz! I can't pay 4.99 right now"

The next buddy read I’m doing is The Witching House in a few weeks

Melanie wrote: "I'm in! David very kindly sent me a link to download a copy because the deal wasn't available here so I'll be starting either tomorrow or Monday when I've finished my other book."

That was great of him!

Ok, I thought he was a HA member & yeah he is.

message 12: by Latasha (last edited Apr 05, 2019 06:09PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Very first page- whoa! Hang on. These people need to read The Willows

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 2258 comments That one is on Kindle Unlimited as well as this buddy read, Tosh. Just for anyone that has KU 😊. Well at least US. I don’t know about anywhere else

Ok. I bought it last week when it was on sale too.

Moggy- cat

message 15: by Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ (last edited Apr 05, 2019 06:26PM) (new)

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 2258 comments I didn’t see the sale last week 😕. But I did buy this buddy read book when it was on sale 😊

message 16: by Sea (new)

Sea Caummisar | 109 comments I have The Willows! yay

Melanie | 1656 comments Latasha wrote: "Very first page- whoa! Hang on. These people need to read The Willows"

I love that story. You can't go wrong with Blackwood.

message 18: by Lisa (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lisa | 484 comments Thanks for setting this up, Latasha! I'm going to start on Sunday, want to finish up my current read first.

message 19: by Sea (new)

Sea Caummisar | 109 comments Latasha wrote: "Very first page- whoa! Hang on. These people need to read The Willows"

I just reviewed The Willows.

I think the idea for the willows was that the land was alive & those guys were trespassing where they shouldn’t. The land was trying to scare them off.

I do love be some Blackwood. I have a really pretty illustrated anthology of his & Arthur Machen.

I'm sure I said this when I bought the book, my favorite word is in the description! Phantasmagoric ❤️

Your welcome Lisa.

I'm on chapter 7. Still good & has my interest. Do y'all believe in astral travel? I think it mentions this in the description so not spoiling anything. I think there is people that can do it but I'm not one of them.

Chapter 7- I'm confused and shocked.

Melanie | 1656 comments Latasha wrote: "I'm on chapter 7. Still good & has my interest. Do y'all believe in astral travel? I think it mentions this in the description so not spoiling anything. I think there is people that can do it but I..."

Think I astral travelled last night after my third glass of cab sav!

Lol! I hope it was to some place good.

message 28: by Lisa (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lisa | 484 comments I'm on Chapter 6, enjoying so far. I'm looking forward to being confused and shocked soon :)

message 29: by Lisa (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lisa | 484 comments Finished chapter 7. Shocked, check. Confused, check. 😉

Melanie | 1656 comments Oh booooo. I'm having such FOMO right now, I might have to put my other book on hold and get started on this.

I'm at 86% I hope to finish this by Sunday at the latest.

Melanie | 1656 comments I'm at 26%. Babysitting for a friend tonight so hopefully I'll get some read then.

message 33: by Lisa (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lisa | 484 comments 42% here...

Ok I finished this. I gave it 3 stars. The haunting & connections were very interesting. I'd read and it was great but when I had to put the book down and pick it up again, I felt like it had lost some of its steam. I think this was more on me than anything else. I really liked (view spoiler)

Melanie | 1656 comments I'm up to chapter 12 and wondering how he's going to tie it all together.

message 36: by Paddy (last edited Apr 14, 2019 10:08PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paddy Kelly (paddyfromirelandkelly) | 15 comments Latasha wrote: "Ok I finished this. I gave it 3 stars. The haunting & connections were very interesting. I'd read and it was great but when I had to put the book down and pick it up again, I felt like it had lost ..."

I read The Strange Case at Misty Ridge last week after interacting with David Brian during The Waiting group read.
Much like Melanie, I honestly couldn't see how he was going to tie all the elements together, but agree with the points you raised in the spoiler tags, Latasha. I thoroughly enjoyed the story, and found the astral travel stuff particularly fascinating.
Here's my review if anyone's interested.https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Thanks Paddy.

message 38: by Arka (new)

Arka Chakraborty (johnnyliono) | 103 comments Have heard good things about this book..might check it out.

message 39: by Latasha (last edited Apr 15, 2019 01:58PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Oh no! Notre Dame is on Fire.

message 40: by Lisa (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lisa | 484 comments On chapter 12 now, hoping to finish tonight. (view spoiler)

Melanie | 1656 comments Lisa wrote: "On chapter 12 now, hoping to finish tonight. [spoilers removed]"

Yep. You 'n' me both Lisa.

message 42: by Lisa (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lisa | 484 comments Finished. I found the idea of (view spoiler) inventive and interesting. But there was too much going on here for me, a bit sloppily, and I never really felt immersed. Full review here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Aww sorry it didn’t work for you Lisa.

Melanie, do you still want to do the witching house sometime this month?

message 45: by Lisa (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lisa | 484 comments No worries, Latasha, I never regret reading a book. I'm happy for the Buddy Read and discussion.

That’s how I feel too 😊

Melanie | 1656 comments Latasha wrote: "Melanie, do you still want to do the witching house sometime this month?"

Actually, i just managed to get hold of the Malfi book at the library so am keen to do that one first as it will have to back in a couple of weeks. That OK?

Ok with me 😊

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

The night parade buddy read.