The Sword and Laser discussion

TV, Movies and Games > A question about Hellblazer

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Viola (new)

Viola | 185 comments I have seen the movie with Keanu Reeves as Constantine and I have also seen the TV series with Matt Ryan and I wonder which one of those is closest to the comic?

message 2: by Iain (new)

Iain Bertram (iain_bertram) | 1275 comments TV Series, I saw a few episodes, its not bad.

The Movie is a bit of a joke.

message 3: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3865 comments I avoided both like the plague.

On the few occasions Constantine showed up on Legends, he was like a parody of himself. Well, IMO.

message 4: by Iain (new)

Iain Bertram (iain_bertram) | 1275 comments He is too nice in the TV show, but is at least vaguely British and has an appropriate level of snark. It is not possible to be as dark as required on a to-air TV show or in a general release movie.

It seemed to be based on the early Delano stories moved to the American south for TV reasons.

Could be worse.

Ian (RebelGeek) Seal (rebel-geek) | 512 comments There's also a new animated series on the CW Seed app. I haven't watched it yet, but I plan to. I've seen most if not all of the Constantine series & Legends of Tomorrow. Plus an animated movie "Justice League Dark" which features him prominently.

I thought the 2005 film was great (& my girlfriend agrees), but I had never even heard of the character before I saw it. I became a fan of Tilda Swinton (Gabriel) & Peter Stormare (Lucifer) because of their performances in it.

I've only read 1 issue of the comic. Maybe I'll get around to it.

message 6: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8180 comments The TV series was hamstrung because he can’t smoke in TV. But the actor nails it.

One of the best iterations of the character appears in Injustice: Gods Among Us: Year Three, Vol. 1.

My non-spoiler review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...