Play Book Tag discussion

The Lost Queen (The Lost Queen Trilogy, #1)
This topic is about The Lost Queen
2016-19 Activities & Challenges > Buddy Read for The Lost Queen by Signe Pike

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Magdalena | 414 comments Olivermagus and I have been on a roll lately! I think this is our third buddy read over the past few months.
As always if anyone is interested they're welcome to join. I'm exited to start this one, I think it's going to be a little like the Welsh Princes trilogy we were just reading except maybe with a supernatural element.

So far all I've read is the first chapter but I'm already intrigued and looking forward to reading more.

message 2: by Olivermagnus (last edited Apr 03, 2019 07:03AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Olivermagnus (lynda214) | 1904 comments I decided to do this book on audio and I'm so glad I did. The length is 17 hours, 44 minutes and it's narrated by Toni Frutin. I've never listened to anything else narrated by her and I'm totally impressed. I'm just starting Chapter 11.

I added The Lost Queen to my TBR as soon as it was published last year but hadn't been able to able to get it. I'm thrilled it turned out to be one of the selected numbers. I didn't realize it is the first volume of an anticipated trilogy. Here's the synopsis:

Mists of Avalon meets Philippa Gregory in the first book of an exciting historical trilogy that reveals the untold story of Languoreth—a powerful and, until now, tragically forgotten queen of sixth-century Scotland—twin sister of the man who inspired the legendary character of Merlin.

Intelligent, passionate, rebellious, and brave, Languoreth is the unforgettable heroine of The Lost Queen, a tale of conflicted loves and survival set against the cinematic backdrop of ancient Scotland, a magical land of myths and superstition inspired by the beauty of the natural world. One of the most powerful early medieval queens in British history, Languoreth ruled at a time of enormous disruption and bloodshed, when the burgeoning forces of Christianity threatened to obliterate the ancient pagan beliefs and change her way of life forever.

Together with her twin brother Lailoken, a warrior and druid known to history as Merlin, Languoreth is catapulted into a world of danger and violence. When a war brings the hero Emrys Pendragon, to their door, Languoreth collides with the handsome warrior Maelgwn. Their passionate connection is forged by enchantment, but Languoreth is promised in marriage to Rhydderch, son of the High King who is sympathetic to the followers of Christianity. As Rhydderch's wife, Languoreth must assume her duty to fight for the preservation of the Old Way, her kingdom, and all she holds dear.

The Lost Queen brings this remarkable woman to life—rescuing her from obscurity, and reaffirming her place at the center of the most enduring legends of all time.

message 3: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy | 8153 comments This is on my TBR, but PBT has me too busy to join. I will be lurking though....

message 4: by Joanne (new) - added it

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7112 comments On my shelf also, and I will be joining Amy lurking about

message 5: by Olivermagnus (last edited Apr 06, 2019 11:40AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Olivermagnus (lynda214) | 1904 comments I am making steady progress on this book. I really am enjoying the audio. I'm almost done with the second section, which features Languoreth as a young woman. The first section was more about twins, Languoreth and Lailoken, as ten year olds. It also eases us into the turmoil surrounding the new religion (Christianity) versus the Old Ways. I believe the next section will be Languoreth's marriage and the start of her new life.

I've never listened to a book by Toni Frutin but she's doing a phenomenal job so far.

Magdalena | 414 comments I'm up to chapter 11 or 12. It felt like a slow beginning to me but things are starting to pick up now that Languoreth has made it to the capital and I'm very curious to see what part Emrys Pendragon will play in the story and how the Arthurian legends will be incorporated. I am a bit confused because when I read the blurb it said the man that inspired Merlin would be her brother but since Emrys is another name for Merlin I'm thinking maybe I was wrong and Emrys Pendragon is the one who's connected to Merlin? I don't know I'm sure I'll figure it out.

I don't usually listen to audio books but I'll have to keep Toni Frutin in mind, glad to hear the audio is good.

message 7: by Joanne (new) - added it

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7112 comments Magdalena wrote: "I'm up to chapter 11 or 12. It felt like a slow beginning to me but things are starting to pick up now that Languoreth has made it to the capital and I'm very curious to see what part Emrys Pendrag..."

I don't think you are wrong in your thoughts Magdalena-In the Stephen R. Lawhead version I just finished Merlin is referred to as Myrddin Emrys. There are so many versions of this tale, however, I am finding out new things with each one I read-I thought I would get tired of the story, but each one has had a different spin on it.

message 8: by Olivermagnus (last edited Apr 09, 2019 06:51AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Olivermagnus (lynda214) | 1904 comments Since this is a trilogy I don't think there will be much, if anything, related to the Merlin part of the legend. I'm almost done and expect to finish today and this is primarily Languoreth's story. Once she marries the story takes on more urgency.

I did see that the second book is scheduled to come out next summer.

Magdalena | 414 comments I didn't realize the next book wasn't out yet! That's too bad, I'll definitely read it when it comes out though.

I'm slowly making my way though and find the story very interesting even with it not having much to do with Merlin part of the legend. I do find the style of writing a bit strange at times not quite sure why maybe because it sounds almost modern occasionally but overall I'm really enjoying it.

Olivermagnus (lynda214) | 1904 comments I finished it and enjoyed it a lot. Of course, historical fiction is my favorite genre. I don't read a lot of fantasy but have done more recently and have plans to do more in the future. Even though it's the first book in a trilogy, this story is completely self contained. I'm not sure who the next book focuses on but my hope is adult Lailoken, before he's Merlin. But I guess I'll find out in 2020.

Olivermagnus (lynda214) | 1904 comments I'm so glad I finally got a chance to read this!

Trim the TBR #12 - April - Also fits the History Tag
The Lost Queen (The Lost Queen Trilogy #1) by Signe Pike

The Lost Queen by Signe Pike – 5 Stars
527 Pages

The Lost Queen is the first book in an anticipated trilogy, set in sixth-century Celtic Britain and featuring the sister of the man who will become Merlin. It's told from the point of view of Langoureth, the “lost queen” who is twin sister of Lailoken, the man who becomes the Merlin of Arthurian myth. If you are looking for more about Merlin, this book might be a disappointment to you because we only get to know Lailoken through the narrative of his sister's life. Langoureth desperately wants to become a Wisdom Keeper of the Old Ways like her twin brother, Lailoken, but her life has already been destined. She is the only daughter of a king who so she must be traded for security, wealth, etc.

The book is composed of three parts. The first is about the twins when they are ten. Their mother has just died and they are being raised by their father, Morken King, and members of the household, including Cathan, head Wisdom-keeper of Strathclyde. The second part tells us of Langoureth as she prepares for marriage to a man chosen by her father. Of course, that's not the man she loves. The final part deals with Langoureth as an adult.

When I first picked up this book the blurbs compared it to Outlander and Mists of Avalon. I think in attempting to appeal to some readers they run the risk of annoying others. I thought this story was so much more than either of those books. The Lost Queen has been meticulously researched and the author states she took six years for the research and writing. I thought it was the perfect blend of history and fiction, since many of the characters are actual historical figures. The writing is gorgeous and while the story is full of details, I didn't feel like it was cluttered with too many details that you had to skim over.

There's a bit of a YA feel here because so much of the book is set before Langoureth turns sixteen. There's a bit of romance, lots of history, some fantasy and of course, an evil monk. There's a real understanding of a time when new new religion of one god (Christianity), clashed with the Old Ways. I feel like that was not beaten to death but done as a way to explain many of the actual historical events taking place in Briton during that time period.

If you are a fan of audiobooks, I urge you to try this book in audio. The narrator, Toni Frutin, was phenomenal. I had not heard of her before this audio and hope she does a lot more narrating in the future. I am so happy that #12 was chosen in the PBT Trim The TBR Challenge. This book had been languishing on my shelf since its release last year. Untitled Book 2 is expected out next year and that one absolutely will not be languishing on any shelf. If you are a fan of historical fiction, history, myth, fantasy or discovering the unknown women of history, you can't go wrong reading this incredible novel.

message 12: by NancyJ (last edited Apr 24, 2019 04:33AM) (new) - added it

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4887 comments "If you are a fan of historical fiction, history, myth, fantasy or discovering the unknown women of history, you can't go wrong reading this incredible novel."

Hmm, I am a fan of most of those genres, so I put it on my list! I love the narrator's Scottish accent.

Would you describe the story as "beautiful" by any chance?

Olivermagnus (lynda214) | 1904 comments NancyJ wrote: ""If you are a fan of historical fiction, history, myth, fantasy or discovering the unknown women of history, you can't go wrong reading this incredible novel."

Hmm, I am a fan of most of those ge..."

I definitely would describe this book as "beautiful".