Historical Romance Book Club discussion

Gaol/BOTM > BOTM — May 2019 — A Rogue by Any Other Name

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) | 3792 comments Mod
Discussion thread for the May, 2019 BOTM. Please remember to use the spoiler tags when necessary! (Please see 'some html is ok' for instructions.)

Happy Reading!

A Rogue by Any Other Name (The Rules of Scoundrels, #1) by Sarah MacLean
A Rogue by Any Other Name by Sarah MacLean

What a scoundrel wants, a scoundrel gets...

A decade ago, the Marquess of Bourne was cast from society with nothing but his title. Now a partner in London’s most exclusive gaming hell, the cold, ruthless Bourne will do whatever it takes to regain his inheritance—including marrying perfect, proper Lady Penelope Marbury.

A broken engagement and years of disappointing courtships have left Penelope with little interest in a quiet, comfortable marriage, and a longing for something more. How lucky that her new husband has access to such unexplored pleasures.

Bourne may be a prince of London’s underworld, but he vows to keep Penelope untouched by its wickedness—a challenge indeed as the lady discovers her own desires, and her willingness to wager anything for them... even her heart.

message 2: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 1822 comments I won't be joining this BOTM read, sadly. I read this one in January this year, and gave it a very lukewarm review. Not my cup of tea. I wish something else had won the poll LOL. Oh well.

But don't let me put you off. Lots of others have clearly loved it. Happy May reading everyone.

message 3: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) | 3792 comments Mod
I might reread. I clearly really enjoyed it the first go round but haven’t enjoyed the more recent Maclean books I have tried so I am not sure if my tastes have changed or if there’s a change in writing style.

message 4: by Paige (new)

Paige | 14 comments I've already read this one too and really enjoyed it. :)

message 5: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 1822 comments Paige wrote: "I've already read this one too and really enjoyed it. :)"

Good to hear, Paige and Joanna. This one just wasn't me for.

message 6: by Geri (new)

Geri I’ll try to read this one in May. I have enjoyed other books by Sarah MacLean. But I haven’t read this series.

message 7: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 231 comments This was my least favorite of that series, and I was really looking forward to Bourne’s story.

message 8: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2251 comments I have not read before, so I am in.

Midniteillusion (Desiree) (midniteillusion) | 105 comments Can't wait!

message 10: by Debby*BabyDee (new)

Debby*BabyDee | 584 comments I enjoyed this one and may re-read.

message 11: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Sridhar (angellus08) | 340 comments I'm kind of glad this one won! I've mostly loved Maclean's books in the past, and just couldn't get to this one.

Looking forward to the group read :)

message 12: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2251 comments I'm in. I've never read this before and have enjoyed MacLean before. She's hit or miss for me.

message 13: by Jesha (new)

Jesha (thatcrazybooklover) | 4 comments I'll join. Hello! It's nice to meet you. I'm new here. How does the group read work?

message 14: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2251 comments Welcome Jesha. We read at our own pace in the month and post the chapter and our thoughts. Spoilers may be hidden.

message 15: by Radd Reader (new)

Radd Reader I just read this one in March and ended up giving it a 3 star.
These were the thoughts I posted in my review
(view spoiler)

message 16: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2251 comments I plan to start reading on Wednesday the 1st.

message 17: by Jesha (new)

Jesha (thatcrazybooklover) | 4 comments Mariana wrote: "Welcome Jesha. We read at our own pace in the month and post the chapter and our thoughts. Spoilers may be hidden."
thank you.

message 18: by Geri (new)

Geri I borrowed the book from the library today. I hope to start soon!

message 19: by Dania (new)

Dania  Cross  | 5 comments I'm currently listening on audible 😊

message 20: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Sridhar (angellus08) | 340 comments I just bought the book as well. Ready to start reading whenever!

message 21: by Jesha (new)

Jesha (thatcrazybooklover) | 4 comments I'm going to start reading the book next week since I have to finish reading and reviewing an arc sent to me

Midniteillusion (Desiree) (midniteillusion) | 105 comments I'm about 100 pages in, I like it and I don't at the same time. I really really want the H to be nicer.

message 23: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2251 comments Midniteillusion wrote: "I'm about 100 pages in, I like it and I don't at the same time. I really really want the H to be nicer."

I agree. Michael, Lord Bourne had kind and loving parents even if they died when he was still young. He was betrayed by one man one time, his hateful guardian, when he was still a foolish 21 year old. His true friends did not try to abandon him. He ran away. What gives him the right to be so selfish, hateful, and uncaring?

message 24: by Tanya (last edited May 04, 2019 07:34AM) (new)

Tanya Sridhar (angellus08) | 340 comments I just started the book. I feel absolutely terrible for Penelope, just wanna give her a hug!

I'm scared from reading the comments that Michael is going to treat her badly, and I so already want Penelope to get everything she wants in the world!!! It's quite obvious she's been waiting for a chance with him all this time, and still deeply cares for him.

message 25: by Radd Reader (new)

Radd Reader Darbella wrote: "This is a reread for me.
I had some glimpse of "the grape" in Eleven Scandals to Start to Win a Duke's Heart and by the end of this series was really happy that I had read that book..."

Regarding Chase spoiler....(view spoiler) Interesting

message 26: by Radd Reader (new)

Radd Reader Darbella wrote: "Finished! I really enjoyed it....”

I enjoyed it too but there were a few things that just irritated me a bit. Could just be me, but I’m really tired of the “I’m not good enough for you trope.” I just feel it’s become overused and it weakens the H/h. I understand feelings of inadequacy, but pull up your boot straps and become worthy then. Argh.

I loved Penelope, even more so toward the end of the book. Her inner strength began to shine through and it was great to see her start to think about herself and her needs first.

Michael was not my favorite H, but he wasn’t awful either. Would have liked to see more of his nice side.

Midniteillusion (Desiree) (midniteillusion) | 105 comments Radd Reader wrote: "Darbella wrote: "Finished! I really enjoyed it....”

I enjoyed it too but there were a few things that just irritated me a bit. Could just be me, but I’m really tired of the “I’m not good enough fo..."

I'm almost finished and these are much of my thoughts as well.

Michael's continual pity party became just a bit too much. One mistake at an young age (we all make them) allowed him to wallow in it instead of learning and moving on.

So many times I just wanted to hug Penelope. From their first meet she just wants her best friend back and it's heartbreaking to see her used over and over by everyone around her.

message 28: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2251 comments Darbella wrote: "Ikr? I am with you on giving Penelope a hug. It find it kind of interesting that this book of the month and Junes book both have the Herione writing letter to hero trope. I love some good letter wr..."

I also love correspondence featured in HR.

message 29: by Shaz (new)

Shaz | 607 comments I enjoyed this story, even though I felt like kicking Michael at times. Penelope turned out to be strong , and got what she wanted in the end.
Just started the second book about Pippa, Penelope younger sister and Michael's friend Cross .

Mariana, I also liked the love correspondence.

message 30: by Avid Booker (last edited May 09, 2019 06:12PM) (new)

Avid Booker (goodreadscomalwaysabookworm) | 10 comments Although I gave it four stars I still consider this a favorite and definitely a comfort read. I just reread it and I still really enjoy it. I loved everything about this book, my only problem was that we could have gotten better hints at Michael still having feelings for her at the beginning.

My favorite thing about this story was that it was always him. Her unwavering choosing of him even as a child was adorable.

message 31: by Avid Booker (new)

Avid Booker (goodreadscomalwaysabookworm) | 10 comments Darbella wrote: "Avid Booker....her love for the Hero was adorable. Great point!"

My favorite show of this was when he recalled their game of her blindly (playing marco polo basically) and Michael and Tommy both were calling out her name and she reached for him with no hesitation.

message 32: by Radd Reader (new)

Radd Reader Avid Booker wrote: "My favorite show of this was when he recalled their game of her blindly (playing marco polo basically) and Michael..."

Yes, that was a sweet memory. Just showed it’s always been Michael for her. ❤️

message 33: by Meredith (new)

Meredith | 13 comments I just re-read this one as BOTM. I rated it 4 stars the first time and loved this series, but think I am going with 3 stars this time. I agree with Radd Reader above. I don't remember this one being my favorite in the series and it felt like it dragged more the second read. I think the teaser for Philippa's story means I am going to read that one next! Sometimes, and this may be the case here, the series as a whole is better than the individual books are stand-alone.

message 34: by Shaz (new)

Shaz | 607 comments I have read 1 and 2 , enjoyed both books. Put these books on my mad about a series challenge.

Midniteillusion (Desiree) (midniteillusion) | 105 comments Darbella wrote: "Meredith wrote: the series as a whole is better than the individual books are stand-alone.
I enjoyed reading her books in order better too. I think it helped knowing her slightly as "the grape" and..."

I'm reading the books in order now. I didn't realize when I started this one that there was a series before it. I'm excited for when we meet her before getting her own book.