Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Circe
This topic is about Circe
Archives > [April] Circe, by Madeline Miller - Part Three

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (last edited Apr 20, 2019 06:41AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Laura | 3821 comments Mod
For the Mediterranean pick for the April book of the month, the group has selected Circe, by Madeline Miller.

For more information about the Book of the Month, see the introduction post.

* Part 1 - Chapters 1-8
* Part 2 - Chapters 9-15
* Part 3 - Chapters 16-20
* Part 4 - Chapter 21-End

Questions:
1. What do you think of the book so far?
2. Circe was discussed Odysseus with Telegonus. She glorified his nature, focusing on his sense of adventure, while realizing he was more brutal and callous. How do you view his character?
3. How has Circe changed since becoming a mother?
4. What are your predictions for Telegonus' visit to Ithaca?

Each discussion post will contain prompting questions. But please freely engage in discussion as much as you wish.

message 2: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new) - rated it 3 stars

Laura | 3821 comments Mod
Questions for this part have now been posted :)

Samantha | 927 comments 1. What do you think of the book so far? while still overall very enjoyable it did start getting a little slower for me around the time Odysseus showed up.
2. Circe was discussed Odysseus with Telegonus. She glorified his nature, focusing on his sense of adventure, while realizing he was more brutal and callous. How do you view his character? I thought that Odysseus seemed to be pretty self centered and very brutal. I am not sure he could have survived his adventures without those traits though. If he was putting others ahead of himself I think it would have got him killed.
3. How has Circe changed since becoming a mother? With good reason she became more afraid of the outside world and created a very insular world for her small family. She did seem to really become more loving and gave her self fully to her sons needs and wants.
finished the book so will skip this question.

Perri | 781 comments 1. What do you think of the book so far?
Still loving it

2. Circe was discussed Odysseus with Telegonus. She glorified his nature, focusing on his sense of adventure, while realizing he was more brutal and callous. How do you view his character?
I think he was a hero with faults-very human. The responsibility of his men weighed heavily on him. Like Samantha said, he was trying to survive

3. How has Circe changed since becoming a mother?
Like it changes so many of us-you truly know love. But with the added pressure of a goddess trying to kill your babe!

I think the other son will NOT be happy, but Penelope will be chill and Odysseus proud of another son who is drawn to the sea.