Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Circe
This topic is about Circe
Archives > [April] Circe, by Madeline Miller - Part Two

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (last edited Apr 16, 2019 04:57PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Laura | 3824 comments Mod
For the Mediterranean pick for the April book of the month, the group has selected Circe, by Madeline Miller.

For more information about the Book of the Month, see the introduction post.

* Part 1 - Chapters 1-8
* Part 2 - Chapters 9-15
* Part 3 - Chapters 16-20
* Part 4 - Chapter 21-End

Questions:
1. What do you think of the book so far?
2. Did you guess who the captain was at the end of this part? (i.e. Odysseus)
3. How does Circe reflect on the differences between mortals and gods? In what ways are men more threatening than the gods? With whom does she feel more at ease?
4. Circe experienced a significant event in this part that seems to have changed her outlook and story arc. How do you see her comparing before versus after the assault?

Each discussion post will contain prompting questions. But please freely engage in discussion as much as you wish.

message 2: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new) - rated it 3 stars

Laura | 3824 comments Mod
Questions for this part have now been posted :)

Perri | 775 comments 1. What do you think of the book so far?
I'm liking it a lot. I think I'm in a good place between being familiar with the characters, but not knowing too much about them

2. Did you guess who the captain was at the end of this part? (i.e. Odysseus)
Yes, Hermes spoiled it :)

3. How does Circe reflect on the differences between mortals and gods? In what ways are men more threatening than the gods? With whom does she feel more at ease?
Her ease with humans seems to have led her to letting down her guard , not fully believing they would attack her. After that she seems a lot more antagonistic, understandably. She also seems pretty put out with all the misbehaving nymphs being sent her away. She seems most comfortable with her animals

I like the relationship that is developing between Odysseus and CIrce. Finally, someone worthy of her

Samantha | 902 comments 1. What do you think of the book so far? At this point I was really surprised by how much I was enjoying.
2. Did you guess who the captain was at the end of this part? (i.e. Odysseus) Yes, Hermes spilled the tea
3. How does Circe reflect on the differences between mortals and gods? In what ways are men more threatening than the gods? With whom does she feel more at ease? I don't recall the reflection at this point in the book but it did seem to be something that was on going and that overall she was more at ease with humans.
4. Circe experienced a significant event in this part that seems to have changed her outlook and story arc. How do you see her comparing before versus after the assault? She seemed to really close off to humanity after the assault but as with most of her experiences it seemed to help her grow in her own.