Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Circe
This topic is about Circe
Archives > [April] Circe, by Madeline Miller - Part One

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (last edited Apr 13, 2019 01:23PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Laura | 3821 comments Mod
For the Mediterranean pick for the April book of the month, the group has selected Circe, by Madeline Miller.

For more information about the Book of the Month, see the introduction post.

* Part 1 - Chapters 1-8
* Part 2 - Chapters 9-15
* Part 3 - Chapters 16-20
* Part 4 - Chapter 21-End

Questions:
1. How are you liking the book so far?
2. Why do you think Circe is so drawn to mortals?
3. Do you think Glaucus changed when he became a God or was Circe blind to his faults all along?
4. If you could create an herb to accomplish anything, as in the novel, what you do?

Each discussion post will contain prompting questions. But please freely engage in discussion as much as you wish.

Samantha | 931 comments I wasn't sure if I would enjoy Circe but I am loving it! I don't know why I was so hesitant about it but am finding the writing to be so easy and the story is engaging. I am loving watching Circe grow into her witchy self.

Hope everyone is enjoying it as much as I am.

Perri | 781 comments Does she become witchy? I don't know anything about her

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2672 comments I just finished this book and I'm a bit torn about how to rate it. There were some parts that I absolutely adored and would be 5 stars hands-down, but other parts felt a bit slow and dragging to me. It's a 4.5 for me really, but now I have the dreaded task of deciding whether to round up or down.

Serendipity | 441 comments Glad I’m not the only one who can’t decide which way to round. I’m reading slowly. I’ve finished the first section but think I’ll wait for the discussion questions before I read the next few chapters.

Samantha | 931 comments Perri wrote: "Does she become witchy? I don't know anything about her"

She uses witchcraft.

I don't want to spoil the book for anyone, this is in the Good Reads synopsis but let me know if I should hide.

Perri | 781 comments Samantha wrote: "Perri wrote: "Does she become witchy? I don't know anything about her"

She uses witchcraft.

I don't want to spoil the book for anyone, this is in the Good Reads synopsis but let me know if I sho..."

I don't want to imply you're spoiling. I'm just wondering if reading about her in general re. mythology would make the story better

message 8: by Samantha (last edited Apr 09, 2019 09:57AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Samantha | 931 comments Perri wrote: "Samantha wrote: "Perri wrote: "Does she become witchy? I don't know anything about her"

She uses witchcraft.

I don't want to spoil the book for anyone, this is in the Good Reads synopsis but let..."

I always worry about spoiling so just wanted to confirm I wasn't pissing anyone off :)

I really don't think I know that much about greek mythology so for me the witchcraft is new and I do think it has made the story more interesting to me. Part of that though may just be how I think it helps Circe's story move forward.

I do have to agree there are some areas that get a little slow but overall still enjoying.

Perri | 781 comments Finished chapters 1-8, are discussion questions coming soon? I think it would be pretty crappy to have these bored, self centered gods hanging around messing with the world. Hm, has anyone watched American Gods?

Marin (marinbeth) | 181 comments They're so terrible! (Though her other book, The Song of Achilles, focuses more on mortals and they don't come off very well either).

I haven't seen American Gods, but I really liked the book.

message 11: by Entropia (last edited Apr 13, 2019 07:27AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Entropia | 278 comments I quite liked those first chapters, it was interesting to see things from the perspective of someone belonging to gods' dysfunctional family :)

message 12: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (last edited Apr 13, 2019 01:23PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Discussion questions have now been posted :)

Samantha | 931 comments Thanks for the questions!

1. How are you liking the book so far? I was drawn in right away, the writing style really worked for me.
Because we are freaking awesome! Or perhaps she was so looked down on by the gods and mortals seemed to hold her in higher regard.
3. Do you think Glaucus changed when he became a God or was Circe blind to his faults all along?
Ohh good question something I was wondering myself. I imagine it was a combination but do think he changed because he was all about Circe as a mortal but as a god seemed to dismiss her like all the other gods.
4. If you could create an herb to accomplish anything, as in the novel, what you do?
Probably cure some diseases. I have had a rough year health wise and sometimes wish there were easier and better cures out there.

Perri | 781 comments Thanks Laura!
Questions:
I'm liking it quite a bit. It's interesting to see the point of view of immortal beings. Compare and contrast with vampires :)
I think she sees in them the imperfections her god relatives point out to her. Also, maybe she's a bit flattered by Glaucus' awe
He seemed a bit of a jerk to me, after his god worship wore off. Didn't he press her into making the big fish catch? He was the first mortal she got to know well, I wish she's had known there are plenty of other fish in the sea ;)
I think something that would permanently cure hair loss or promote luscious growth, I'd be very popular!

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2672 comments I've finished the book already, but I'll answer as best as I can for what I remember from my impressions of this part of the book.

I found it interesting but also a bit slow to get into. I remember thinking at first that it was good, but I wasn't quite sure why everyone raved about the writing style. To me, it was solid but not extraordinary.

I think she related to them more than the related to the other gods. She was treated as an outcast by the others, so she never felt like she fit in with them. She may have seen herself as much more similar to the mortals, or else she enjoyed the way they would look up to her/respect her in a way that the other deities wouldn't.

I think it's a bit of both. I got the impression that becoming a God magnified his pre-existing personality traits.

Good question. Probably something to do with helping people eat whatever food they want without health complications (including gaining weight!).

message 16: by Errlee (new)

Errlee | 165 comments 1. How are you liking the book so far?

Read the first eight chapters yesterday and liking it but not loving it so far. Have had this on my "I really should read that book that everyone is talking about" list for ages but for some reason have been avoiding it - so used this group read to give me a push. It's pretty readable, I just don't love the concept. I did classics in university, so fairly well versed in mythology, but not sure I like a fiction book set in that context, if that makes sense. But trying to keep an open mind. I have a hard time suspending disbelief though.

I agree that a lot of it is due to the fact that she is an outcast, and the only time she is adored like the other gods is when she meets a mortal. And she has more empathy for them given her own circumstances. I also think she is just supposed to be a bit of an oddball that way :)

Maybe a bit of both, but I think that the author uses his transformation to show how corrupting it is to be given Godlike powers. And, also, he's a man, right? They aren't portrayed all that well so far in the book (not that the women are stellar either).

4. If you could create an herb to accomplish anything, as in the novel, what you do? Cure diseases - if I had to pick one, then cancer. I know too many people whose lives have been cut short/compromised by it.

message 17: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new) - rated it 3 stars

It sounds like our approach to the book was really similar, Errlee. I am very susceptible to reading books just to see what the hype is about.

I did start to get more into the book once I was about halfway through part two :)

Irene | 93 comments Liking it so far, better than her previous book, but not loving it.

Her fascination with mortals is probably also due to the fact that she has never seen one before?