Flights of Fantasy discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Books & Discussions > What are you reading in April 2019?

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Well, what's ringing your bell? (Or not?)

I just finished up a new romance then dived directly back into the Murderbot Diaries.

I cannot WAIT to see Martha Wells!! I'm hoping I get a chance to meet her and get her autographs. I'm gonna pull a Grant and take every book I own that she's written.

message 2: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments I'm reading Fire Sea - book 3 of the Death Gate cycle.

After this, I have 4 books from the library I need to get to, but I'm having issues renewing 2, so I'm not sure what I'll be reading...

message 3: by Christine (new)

Christine (inhalesbookslikepopcorn) I am reading Rosewater and The Black God's Drums

message 4: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments I'm actually starting the BotM today, too.

message 5: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I'm currently reading Void Moon by Michael Connelly.
Then, the plan is:
On a Red Station, Drifting - April FOF BOTM
Like Lions - BR with friends
The Tempest - Classics group BR
The Blade Itself - April 8th-ish FOF BR (probably late. lol)

message 6: by David (last edited Apr 02, 2019 08:41AM) (new)

David Rex (thenewoldones) | 1 comments For the moment:
Blood Standard (Isaiah Coleridge, #1) by Laird Barron and The Wide, Carnivorous Sky and Other Monstrous Geographies by John Langan
I'm still looking for something interesting dealing with the occult/cults. But for the moment, I think next in line is
Coyote Songs by Gabino Iglesias

message 7: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) David wrote: "For the moment:
Blood Standard (Isaiah Coleridge, #1) by Laird Barron and The Wide, Carnivorous Sky and Other Monstrous Geographies by John Langan
I'm still looking for something interesting dealing with the o..."

Hey David, please remember to use text and not just bookcovers, so that everyone can easily see what book you're referring to. Users on mobile or smaller screens have a really hard time with bookcovers.

Thanks!

message 8: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments So, I've moved forward to Artificial Condition and I'm reading the April BotM: On a Red Station, Drifting.

message 9: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Started A Discovery of Witches this morning, with some slight trepidation. Not very far in, but the description of the vampire guy already has be rolling my eyes...

message 10: by Beth (last edited Apr 04, 2019 09:28AM) (new)

Beth (rosewoodpip) | 175 comments Finished up On a Red Station, Drifting reread for the group in record time (for me), and have been enjoying the discussion.

Next is Cast in Secret, the third book in Chronicles of Elantra. This series has been inconsistent and kind of dumb even this early on, but it does so well at hitting a couple of my happy buttons that I roll with it.

After that it's something short. Neuromancer or maybe Slaughterhouse-Five or maybe I'll just skip to The Onion Girl BR I'm doing with a Goodreads friend.

Current audio is Becoming. It's a full month for this pokey reader!

message 11: by Skyland (new)

Skyland (alicemccrazypants) | 1 comments Just finished The Blood Gospel and *loved* it - while waiting for book 2 to come in, I'm going back to The Graveyard Queen series and cracking open The Prophet

message 12: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Skyland wrote: "Just finished The Blood Gospel and *loved* it - while waiting for book 2 to come in, I'm going back to The Graveyard Queen series and cracking open The Prophet"

THe plot of that one reminds me of the The Da Vinci Code.

message 13: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Finished up On a Red Station, Drifting and then went right back to the murderbot diaries. Currently reading Rogue Protocol.

message 14: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I'm still working on Void Moon and The Last Battle. Hoping to finish VM tonight though.

I'm traveling for work Sunday-Saturday, so I think I'll probably get some decent reading time on the plane to finish OARSD, which I plan to start next. :)

message 15: by Greg (new)

Greg | 197 comments Currently alternating my reading between a science fiction novel (The Three-Body Problem) and a YA dystopian fantasy (Tapestry). I started them in March but my reading has been intermittent lately. Nevertheless, I'm enjoying both books.

message 16: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments I've read The Bone Witch, which was kind of like Memoirs of a Geisha, with magic and sword fighting, with the framing device of The Name of the Wind, minus the douchbag MC. I enjoyed it and look forward to fi ishing out the story.

Also read The Red Fox Clan, and I forgot Flanagan's penchant for multi-book arcs, so now I have to wait for the next book to finish the story.

Im currently reading The Winter of the Witch, the previous book of which being the winner of the elusive 5-star rating, so I'm looking forward to digging into this one. Bit of a slow start so far, but I'm hopeful.

message 17: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I read Void Moon, a side book in the Harry Bosch series, which was good, but not great.

Also listened to The Last Battle: The Classic History of the Battle for Berlin, which was really good.

Tried but DNF'd On a Red Station, Drifting... Just wasn't my thing.

Also read The Tempest, which was not great. Terrible MC and a plot that was... Problematic at best.

Now I'm listening to When Giants Walked the Earth: A Biography of Led Zeppelin, which is good so far, except for the 2nd person segments at the beginning of each chapter. Bleh. Love Zeppelin though, so I'm pushing through.

message 18: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Oh! And I read Like Lions by Brian Panowich, which is the sequel to Bull Mountain, both of which I loved. If you're into hick-lit or grit-lit, I highly recommend these.

message 19: by Chris , cookie guilt (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments Becky wrote: "Oh! And I read Like Lions by Brian Panowich, which is the sequel to Bull Mountain, both of which I loved. If you're into hick-lit or grit-lit, I highly recommend these."

Definitely on my radar and I have a copy ready to go. Loved Bull Mountain.

message 20: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Yes! It is different, but really great. :D

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.