A Wheel Of Time Read Along discussion

The Great Hunt (The Wheel of Time, #2)
This topic is about The Great Hunt
The Great Hunt - Book #2 > tGH Week 1 - Chapters 0 - 12

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jason (darkfiction) | 145 comments Mod
Welcome to book two, guys!! After a bit of a slow start, The Great Hunt becomes even more action packed than the first!

Sunil | 22 comments I would gladly read an entire book worth of Lan giving sword lesson instruction. Cat crosses the courtyard!

Me too, tbh. I also really enjoyed Tar Valon and lessons with Egwene, Nyneave, and Elayne.

Kane Taylor (kano84) I'm up to Chapter 19 now. I'm a slow reader so I decided to jump straight into this one.
But I have really enjoyed the first 12 chapters. The scenes involving Padan Fain at Fal Dara are particularly interesting. I also really enjoyed learning a bit more about the Aes Sedai and the Amyrlin Seat.

Daniel Ruiz | 5 comments Great chapters. Loial is growing on me in these chapters. Just a pleasant guy to be around. Cat crosses the courtyard! I am going to YouTube it and learn how to walk it.

There’s some nasty things that happen in these chapters. What happens to the guards in Padan Fain’s escape from imprisonment is pretty gross.

It’s also interesting that someone took a shot at assassinating Siuan or Rand before they leave for Fal Dara for Tomon Head.

The entire journey is almost like traveling through or into The Heart Of Darkness. It becomes a little surreal and they find some awful things, like the Myrdraal nailed to a door. “Who or what could do that to a half man,” Mat asks. Indeed!

Chick Bookstop (chickbookstop) | 11 comments I made it chapter 16! This one was moving slow at first but around chapter 10 it picked up really nice. I'd love to follow the ladies headed to Tar Valon more and know what's going on there, but I'm sure it's coming up soon! Rand is being a little whiny about his destiny, I hope that stops!

Amanda (tazzypumpkin) | 20 comments A few comments on the first week's chapters (while I am griping about some things, I am still enjoying the book! These are just the discussion-worthy things on my mind):

-Is anyone else sad about how the boys have grown apart? We started to see it at the end of the first book, but now it is very obvious. I understand that they've each encountered some life-altering difficulties, and hope they can repair their friendship at some point.

-I've been annoyed with Moiraine in this book. I tend to get annoyed when book characters hold back information from others because they think it's for their own good. I feel like she could have told Rand if she suspected he was an Aes Sedai before, and maybe offered some kind of help/guidance, even if it was only to lend an ear for him to vent his fears and frustrations. Rand obviously needed someone to talk to about it, but she wasn't even willing to do that. I also don't care for her plan to "trick" Rand into doing the right thing. I feel like if she, Rand, and the Amyrlin Seat had just had some honest, heart-to-heart discussions about what he was going through and what would be the best path forward, that he might have done the right thing.

-I'm still having a hard time with the Lan/Nynaeve thing. I just don't feel the chemistry since it seems like their feelings popped up out of nowhere in book 1.

I totally agree about Lan and Nyneave. There must have been something going on behind the scenes there, but I don’t know what. Lol. It looks like a bad case of insta love.

Deborah Cox | 5 comments Ummm, I was not really surprised with the Lan/Nyneave relationship as I have been drawn to Lan from the start. I think mutual respect was at the beginning and it just grew from that. However, a line here and there about the developing relationship would not have been remiss despite all that was going on.

Also, a few lines on Perrin's thoughts would be helpful. There is definitely something going on there....

There is so much distrust in the core group that it is hard to blame anyone for walking straight into trouble....a little more sharing would prevent a lot of the danger, but the Wheel tuns as the wheel wills...

message 11: by Lynn (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lynn Silsby | 12 comments Oh man - agree with everyone about the slow start to this book. Things really picked up for me upon their leaving Sheinar and being back on the road. It's not that everything prior was a complete drudge, but I was only reading a chapter or two at a time and now, Chapter 9-onwards, I'm delighted to find that this book has become, like the first, an exciting page-turner.

The plot point with Fain taking on his own Trolloc crew is a good one. The glimpses of the power dynamics and jockeying-for-position among the darkfriends that we see in the Fain crew as well as during the Prologue are very interesting. I could use some additional work from the author in helping to see the appeal of joining the dark side. Cuz these folks do not seem to be getting a very good deal and it's not one I would be tempted to take, flawed as I am. Perhaps like Fain, they signed up for the deal thinking the terms were promising (immortality) but then, lo and behold, the Dark One misrepresented certain aspects of the contract and turned out to be a shady operator, yet they were already too far in, with Shai'tan's hooks already in, and have no other option at this point.

Liandrin Sedai is definitely a baddie and was probably one of the Aes Sedai present at the Prologue, right??

This book just doesn’t let up once it’s gets moving. The action just doesn’t stop. I’m pretty sure that Liandran was probably in attendance at that gathering. Lol

Lyndi (mibookobsession) I got started late on this one because I had to order it from another library. I just had to share though that my librarian has been recommending this series for awhile and was so excited that I'm reading it that he left me a sticky note on the cover about how great it is. I love my small town library!!

Lyndi (mibookobsession) After dealing with my stubborn husband last night, I had to laugh at Egwene's comment after knocking Rand down and sitting on his back "...The best way to learn to deal with a man was to learn to ride a mule. She said they have equal brains most of the time. Sometimes the mule is smarter."

Pauline PDT | 4 comments I thought my copy had errors in it when it kept repeating the village house scene with it. And it is getting creepier knowing that Fain is becoming a darker character.

Serial Bibliophile (serial-bibliophile) | 16 comments Yes this one is a lot better than the first one so far. I think the first book did a good job of establishing the basics of the world and introducing us to the characters but here is where we start to get invested in the story. I can actually listen to the audiobook now without having to stop every paragraphs to go check the physical copy. All those new words and references make better sense now.
The Dragon Reborn was my favorite chapter!

message 17: by Zachary (last edited Jun 19, 2019 06:29AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zachary Smith | 4 comments For sure started off slow action wise but really excelled in story/world building. To be honest it is one of my favorite strengths of Robert Jordan. Also like some said the Fain escape scene was pretty brutal, and brings up questions about Rand, Pain, and the Dark One!

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 37 comments I've been waiting to start this. Noticed there haven't been anymore updates for the other books though.

It pretty much died here.

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 37 comments Back at it again. The first three are on KU so now that I can easily read it in the dark, it's on. I've read the prologue. I was a bit confused. I felt like we are supposed to know who the man is that received his orders in this prologue, but I don't remember him. :D

Awesome Whitney! Are you on book two?

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 37 comments Jason wrote: "Awesome Whitney! Are you on book two?"

Yes. Thanks!

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 37 comments I've just finished Chapter 5, and I'm getting ready to start Chapter 6. Rand Al thor is a butthead.

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 37 comments Commented on the wrong thread and I'm currently moving them over.

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 37 comments I'm on chapter 19 now. I've been mostly listening to the audiobook which makes it a little harder since you can't just flip to the back and look at the characters in the glossary lol.

So I'm up to chapter 19, but I'm going to try to only discuss up to chapter 14. It will be very vague, to begin with. I'm loving the character trope with Rand (view spoiler) Also Naineeve (sp) and Egwane (sp) are hilarious. I always have issues keeping up with characters and catching small references when I'm listening while doing other things rather than sitting down and reading every word so I'm not sure who the secret dark friends are. I'm sure there have been some hints.
One of the hints I did pick up on is that this book seems to take place in our world ( or a version of it) in the future. (view spoiler)

That is probably one of the most interesting things to me so far. I'm looking forward to finishing the series and going back to find all the easter eggs.

Hoang (hoangh98) | 35 comments Sigh, nothing can stop Mat from being an annoying jerk.

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 37 comments Hoang wrote: "Sigh, nothing can stop Mat from being an annoying jerk."

haha, we love to see it.