The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

The Hound of the Baskervilles (Sherlock Holmes, #5)
This topic is about The Hound of the Baskervilles
Group Read Discussions > April 2019 Group Read: The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle (Spoiler comments)

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bill | 5391 comments Mod
This thread is for those who have finished or have spoiler-type comments.

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) | 643 comments Hi all - I'm happy this was picked as one of the April group reads. After watching many movies and tv shows of Sherlock Holmes over the years, I decided three years ago to finally read this novel. I loved it, but didn't write a review. I'm eager to read it again along with others and to see everyone's thoughts. Suzy

Portia I love the atmosphere Doyle creates, down to the fact that the murders happen in October. The movie with Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce sticks in my head no matter which subsequent version I see and enjoy.

message 4: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bill | 5391 comments Mod
I read this fairly recently and enjoyed very much. I like that the perspective is very much Watson's. I look forward to seeing everyone's comments.

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) | 643 comments Portia wrote: "I love the atmosphere Doyle creates, down to the fact that the murders happen in October. The movie with Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce sticks in my head no matter which subsequent version I see an..."

Same with me about the Basil Rathbone movie, Portia. I'm going to try to get it at the library and watch after listening to the book.

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) | 643 comments Bill wrote: "I read this fairly recently and enjoyed very much. I like that the perspective is very much Watson's. I look forward to seeing everyone's comments."

I just recently finished The House of Silk, a new Sherlock Holmes mystery written by Anthony Horowitz (loved it!). It was also written from Watson's perspective so your comment makes me wonder if all Holmes books are "written by Watson". The Hound is the only book of Conan Doyle's that I've read so far.

message 7: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bill | 5391 comments Mod
Suzy wrote: "Bill wrote: "I read this fairly recently and enjoyed very much. I like that the perspective is very much Watson's. I look forward to seeing everyone's comments."

I just recently finished [book:The..."

I don't know that they were necessarily written from his perspective but I think they were basically written under Watson's persona, his record of Holmes' most interesting cases..

MissLemon  (misslemon) | 252 comments I've read this so many times, I'm quite envious of those reading it for the first time. It's my favourite Holmes.

MissLemon  (misslemon) | 252 comments Bill wrote: "Suzy wrote: "Bill wrote: "I read this fairly recently and enjoyed very much. I like that the perspective is very much Watson's. I look forward to seeing everyone's comments."

I just recently finis..."

I'd say it was written from Watsons perspective. Watson (view spoiler)

message 10: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bill | 5391 comments Mod
Btw, if you want to see peoples' reviews of the book, just click on the picture of the book in the title bar of this thread. This was a 5-star read for me.

message 11: by Suzy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) | 643 comments Bill wrote: "Btw, if you want to see peoples' reviews of the book, just click on the picture of the book in the title bar of this thread. This was a 5-star read for me."

Thanks, Bill, I finished this yesterday. I'm still perusing the annotated version - it's fun and information.

I have a question - I have a shelf called "amateur sleuths" and deliberated about whether Holmes was one. What do you think?

message 12: by Suzy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) | 643 comments Bill wrote: "Btw, if you want to see peoples' reviews of the book, just click on the picture of the book in the title bar of this thread. This was a 5-star read for me."

Fun to read your review, Bill. I also liked that Watson had such a prominent role in this. This is the first and only Holmes novel that I've read and I'm eager to read the other three while I've got the annotated volume. I've got them in audio so I can listen and follow along in print. Of course, like you, I've watched a bunch of tv shows and movies. I plan to re-watch the 1939 classic soon.

message 13: by Suzy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) | 643 comments Some things I noticed this time around, after just listening to it and having read in print 3 years ago.
To Carolyn's point in her "spoiler", I noticed how cruel Holmes is to Watson even though depending on him to be his initial eyes and ears on the ground.
I thought Conan Doyle really piled on the number of suspects with motives to get rid of the heirs of Baskerville Hall, perhaps a few too many.
In the same vein, red herrings abounded! I can't remember if I guessed that the Stapletons were married when I first read this or not, but in this reading it seemed obvious to me.
As I mentioned in my review, this book verges on horror for the modern reader and must have been out-and-out horror in the original serialization. I imagine it really hooked people to pick up the next edition of The Strand to get the next installment!
The illustrations by Sidney Paget are so good. In the annotated novels I picked up at the library, they also include the illustrations from a German edition of the novel. Interesting to see those too.

message 15: by Bill, Co-Moderator (last edited Apr 13, 2019 09:33AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bill | 5391 comments Mod
Suzy wrote: "Bill wrote: "Btw, if you want to see peoples' reviews of the book, just click on the picture of the book in the title bar of this thread. This was a 5-star read for me."

Thanks, Bill, I finished t..."

I'd suggest that Holmes is a professional sleuth. I don't know if it's ever been said that he gets paid for his work but, and maybe I'm starting to confuse with the TV series, but he has worked for the government.... Good question.. I'm not sure now... lol

Additional thought. He does do it as a profession. It is his main work... hmmm

message 16: by Suzy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) | 643 comments Bill wrote: "Suzy wrote: "Bill wrote: "Btw, if you want to see peoples' reviews of the book, just click on the picture of the book in the title bar of this thread. This was a 5-star read for me."

Thanks, Bill,..."

I came to a similar conclusion about amateur sleuth, Bill. I wonder if in today' parlance if he would be considered a private investigator. Anyway, he's good at what he does, although many Holmes's "scholars" point out holes in his reasoning and gaps in the stories, something I've just learned from the annotated Sherlock Holmes. They slice and dice way more than the average reader. :)

message 17: by Suzy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) | 643 comments Bill, I just finished listening to A Study in Scarlet (I'm sorta on a Sherlock binge) and Holmes several times reminds people that he is a "consulting detective".

message 18: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bill | 5391 comments Mod
Suzy wrote: "Bill, I just finished listening to A Study in Scarlet (I'm sorta on a Sherlock binge) and Holmes several times reminds people that he is a "consulting detective"."

Thanks, Suzy.. That clears that up, eh?.. :)

message 19: by John (new) - rated it 4 stars

John | 10 comments Suzy wrote: "Bill, I just finished listening to A Study in Scarlet (I'm sorta on a Sherlock binge) and Holmes several times reminds people that he is a "consulting detective"."

Just started The Hound of Baskervilles as also on a Sherlock binge. Read a few stories many years ago, just finished the Sherlock Holmes series on PBS with Benedict Cumberpatch and Martin Freeman. This fired up my OCD gene so gathered all of the "cannon" of 56 stories and 4 novels to read. A few hours later with Project Gutenberg, Kindle, Audible and surprisingly only around $5 I have all of the books/stories. Including the links I found in case others want to go down the same rabbit hole.

Besides the public domain books from Project Gutenberg found a $3 kindle with complete books/stories The Complete Sherlock Holmes on Amazon and used a credit on Audible for over 60 hours of listening Audible

Having read/listened up to the 5th in the series, am amazed at how well the material stands the test of time. Had picked up The Improbable Adventures of Sherlock Holmes in a Humble Bundle so will get a take from current authors also.

Curious if anyone else plowed through all the books/stories?

message 20: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bill | 5391 comments Mod
John wrote: "Suzy wrote: "Bill, I just finished listening to A Study in Scarlet (I'm sorta on a Sherlock binge) and Holmes several times reminds people that he is a "consulting detective"."

Just started The Ho..."

All that I can say is Amazing! And no I haven't plowed through all of the books / stories but I've made a fairly decent stab I think.. also of the various movies, TV shows, even radio recordings.