The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

The Hound of the Baskervilles (Sherlock Holmes, #5)
This topic is about The Hound of the Baskervilles
Group Read Discussions > * April 2019 Group Read: The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bill | 5391 comments Mod
This thread is for non-spoilerish comments. Suzy is your moderator. Enjoy the discussions.

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) | 643 comments Hi all - I'm happy this was picked as one of the April group reads. After watching many movies and tv shows of Sherlock Holmes over the years, I decided three years ago to finally read this novel. I loved it, but didn't write a review. I'm eager to read it again along with others and to see everyone's thoughts. Suzy

message 3: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 8556 comments Mod
I am going to try to get to this book, Suzy. I read it eons ago but it may be time to revisit it.

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) | 643 comments Nancy wrote: "I am going to try to get to this book, Suzy. I read it eons ago but it may be time to revisit it."

I hope you're able to get it to read along with the group, Nancy. I read it in print 3 years ago, so I'll listen to it this go-round. I also see there's a teen graphic novel of it available from my library. I'll have to get it just to see.

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) | 643 comments I meant to mention that to get in the mood for reading this, I listened to the great Sir Derek Jacobi read The House of Silk, a new Sherlock Holmes mystery by Anthony Horowitz. I loved it!!

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) | 643 comments I've just got 45 minutes left of the audio after which I will port over to the spoiler thread with comments. I'm enjoying this. Not just a murder mystery, but so many elements of gothic horror. Something sinister (a hound perhaps?) is always just around the corner or over ones shoulder.

I got a copy from my library of The New Annotated Sherlock Holmes The Novels by Arthur Conan Doyle .
There are three volumes - 1 and 2 are the 50+ short stories and volume 3, this one, is of the 4 novels. It's a delight to read explanations of terms and locations and scholarly speculation on the real-life influences on Conan Doyle in writing this mystery. Plus illustrations from the original serialization of the novels. Fun, even if occasionally TMI. :) Highly recommended.