YA Addicted Book Club discussion

City of Lost Souls (The Mortal Instruments, #5)
This topic is about City of Lost Souls
Series/Buddy Reads Archive > The Mortal Instruments By Cassandra Clare

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Liliana, YA Paranormal Lover (new) - rated it 5 stars

Liliana (lililostinabook) | 1977 comments Mod
Brittany and I will be starting City of Fallen Angels this weekend! I am so excited but also nervous because CoG just had a great ending 😬 lol.

message 2: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 4123 comments Mod
Woo!! I have been putting this one off for forever as I have heard it is pretty bad and definitely the weakest of the series. But having someone to read it with will help!
Also it has been awhile since I read the original trilogy so I may need a few refreshers :)

message 3: by Liliana, YA Paranormal Lover (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yikes. I haven't heard that before. That makes me a bit more nervous 😬 lol. And if you need refreshers just let me know! The series is fresh in my mind lol.

message 4: by Brittany (new)

Who knows though! Maybe we will both love it!

I havent had a ton of time yet. Start of Chapter 3 (view spoiler)

message 5: by Brittany (new)

Start of Chapter 5 (view spoiler)

message 6: by Brittany (new)

Start of Chapter 11 (view spoiler)

I'm enjoying it more than I expected to. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts as you work through it!

message 7: by Brittany (last edited Apr 07, 2019 07:14AM) (new)

I finished it yesterday. While I enjoyed it way more than I expected to and I will finish the series, what the hell was with that ending?!
(view spoiler)

I think I will go finish the Infernal Devices now and then go back and finish MI

message 8: by Liliana, YA Paranormal Lover (last edited Apr 12, 2019 04:39PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Oh my gods, I'm so sorry I disappeared on you! 🙈 Between our internet being down and me being in a reading slump... well, it's been a week. 😬

I'm working my way slowly but cautiously through it. At least now I know to expect a shocking ending? 😬 lol.

And I am here for you to talk about TID! That's a series I have read in its entirety! lol

Brittany wrote: "Who knows though! Maybe we will both love it!

I havent had a ton of time yet. Start of Chapter 3"

(view spoiler)

message 9: by Brittany (new)

Its all good Lili! Happens to us all! Keep adding your thoughts as you go :)
Idk about shocking exactly for the ending but well, you'll see.

message 10: by Brittany (new)

I'm 80 pages into Clockwork Prince. Enjoying it well enough so far.

How's CoFA going for you?

message 11: by Liliana, YA Paranormal Lover (new) - rated it 5 stars

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it!! I loved that series even though Clockwork Princess made me cry like a baby. Lol.

Umm, it's not 🙈 I've been in the worst reading slump ever! I have not read a page of anything in days! 😩

message 12: by Brittany (new)

It happens! You'll get back to it eventually :)

message 13: by Liliana, YA Paranormal Lover (new) - rated it 5 stars

I hope so! 🤞

message 14: by Liliana, YA Paranormal Lover (new) - rated it 5 stars

After having left you hanging (I'm so sorry! 🙈) I finally started CoFA in earnest! I'm just at the beginning of ch. 7... (view spoiler)

Now that I'm not in that awful reading slump and am actually in the mood for TMI, I am really, really enjoying this! Even though the things that are happening kind of make me want to cry a little. Lol.

message 15: by Brittany (new)

Better late than never!! And we still get to read each other's thoughts
Love where your brain is going (view spoiler) and look forward to you getting a bit further.

Yay that you are enjoying it! I liked it more than I expected too but it still wasn't my fave of the series. I need to continue on soonish.

Sneha (lovegood19) | 258 comments So happy that you are enjoying it, Lili :)

And I also thought that the grocery store scene was cute!

message 17: by Liliana, YA Paranormal Lover (new) - rated it 5 stars

I read a little more last night, and at the end of ch.9 Maia confirms my suspicions. Ooof. This is gonna get interesting.

Right, Sneha? Who would've thought those two would be getting along? But I love it!

Sneha (lovegood19) | 258 comments Yeah.
Me too:)

message 19: by Liliana, YA Paranormal Lover (new) - rated it 5 stars

I just finished it and omg.

(view spoiler)

All that being said, I loved this book! Even though it totally ripped my heart to shreds. Ugh!

message 20: by Brittany (new)

Thanks for your thoughts Lili! (view spoiler)

message 21: by Liliana, YA Paranormal Lover (new) - rated it 5 stars

Definitely do not look into it! I own pretty much all of the Shadowhunter books, so when I bought that one in particular I couldn't help but peek at the synopsis and, well, I ended up spoiling it for myself. Lol.

Oh another book I'm really excited to get to is The Bane Chronicles by Cassandra Clare ! Magnus is such a fun character! I love him! I'm just not sure when I can read these books without having to worry about spoilers! Like, should I read all of The Mortal Instruments AND The Dark Artifices before I can get to Red Scrolls?? I just don't know 🤷‍♀️ lol

message 22: by Brittany (new)

There's a reading list order somewhere! Its how I decided to read the 3 Infernal Devices before reading MI 4.

message 23: by Liliana, YA Paranormal Lover (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yeah I think I've seen it on Cassie Clare's website! Though I don't think it's been updated with Red Scrolls. But I might have to look it up again.

message 24: by Liliana, YA Paranormal Lover (new) - rated it 5 stars

I started CoLS this morning and I finished reading chapter 5.

(view spoiler)

And without spoilers, this is basically me up to this point: 😭😭😭 lol

Sneha (lovegood19) | 258 comments The Alec/Magnus thing was very annoying.

message 26: by Brittany (new)

I want to read that spoiler so bad

message 27: by Liliana, YA Paranormal Lover (new) - rated it 5 stars

I can't wait for you to read this! I'm very interested to see what you will think of it!

message 28: by Liliana, YA Paranormal Lover (last edited Oct 09, 2019 06:55PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Today I read up to ch. 11... well, actually I'm right in the middle of ch. 11 just after Alec does the "Who are you again?" joke. Lol. Honestly, a joking Alec is kind of my favorite. Lol.

(view spoiler)

Non-spoiler update... umm, not much has changed: 😭😩😭 lol

message 29: by Liliana, YA Paranormal Lover (last edited Oct 10, 2019 06:54PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

I was right in the middle of ch. 17 before I had to stop reading this afternoon and OH MY GODS things are happening! This is not a drill! Things are happening! I honestly couldn't have stopped reading at a worse time. Lol. So I'm at the part after we drop in on Simon & co as they are arriving at their destination and we have just switched back to a Clary POV as she wakes up from a nap...

(view spoiler)

So with the revelation I think I'm gonna have to continue reading more tonight because I only have about 140 pages left and I cannot risk reading the rest of this book in public tomorrow. I am almost positive it will make me cry at some point so I'm gonna try and finish it tonight 😅

Non-spoiler update: 🤢😩😩😲😲🤔😲😲😌

message 30: by Brittany (new)

LOL! I love your non-spoiler updates

message 31: by Liliana, YA Paranormal Lover (last edited Oct 10, 2019 10:55PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Thanks! 😅

Okay, I just finished City of Lost Souls and I really enjoyed it! It didn't make me cry as I expected, but I did get very teary-eyed in a couple of places. I don't know how you're gonna feel about this one, Brittany, it was... well, you'll see. Lol.

(view spoiler)

I'm excited to read the next book, just not immediately because my emotions need a break 😅 Lol.

Sneha (lovegood19) | 258 comments Lili, one of the things you said is true.

message 33: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Ali Yes it is sad

message 34: by Liliana, YA Paranormal Lover (new) - rated it 5 stars

So today I started City of Heavenly Fire (The Mortal Instruments, #6) by Cassandra Clare even though I wasn't planning on actually starting it so soon, but honestly I just could not wait. Lol. I'm right in the middle of ch. 5 just after a part with Maia and Jordan and a THING just happened... oof!

(view spoiler)

So far I am really enjoying it! Non-spoiler update: 🤔😍🤢😲

Sneha (lovegood19) | 258 comments They are the main characters of The Dark Artifices, Lili.

message 36: by Brittany (new)

You are making me want to drop my upcoming buddy reads and read these now so I can read your spoilers :P

message 37: by Liliana, YA Paranormal Lover (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yeah, that's what I thought Sneha! Thanks!

That is totally not my intention Brittany 😏 hehehe. I can't wait to see what you think of these books though! I'm really enjoying CoHF so far!

I don't know why, but I keep stopping in the middle of chapters 🤷‍♀️ Lol. I'm in he middle of ch. 11 and I only read the first part with the Council meeting. After the page break it looks like we're back to a Maia POV.

(view spoiler)

Non-spoiler update: 🤢😓😲🥰😬

message 38: by Liliana, YA Paranormal Lover (new) - rated it 5 stars

Today I was a little busy so I only read 4 chapters. Here are my thoughts through ch. 14 (I actually didn't stop mid-chapter this time lol):

(view spoiler)

I am really excited to continue reading because, even though we're at the halfway mark, I feel like we're at the rising action and things are about to go down!

Non-spoiler update: 🥰😭😭😎😤

message 39: by Liliana, YA Paranormal Lover (last edited Oct 20, 2019 06:22PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

I just finished CoHF and I... I'm just a mess 😩 I loved it, but I am not okay. Here are some quick thoughts because if I linger too long I will definitely start crying again 😅

(view spoiler)

Idk what else to say... I can really feel that book hangover looming over me. But I really loved the series! I'm very interested see what your thoughts will be on these last 2 books!

Non-spoiler update: 😬🥰😭😭😭💗

message 40: by May (new) - added it

May | 18 comments hey everyone! I don't know if I can join this but uhm I was looking for someone to discuss the book as we read. I just bought the 5th book and I just hope that it won't be boring because tbh the 4th book wasn't very exciting and the ending was quite predictable.

message 41: by Liliana, YA Paranormal Lover (new) - rated it 5 stars

May wrote: "hey everyone! I don't know if I can join this but uhm I was looking for someone to discuss the book as we read. I just bought the 5th book and I just hope that it won't be boring because tbh the 4t..."

You can definitely join May! I read the last three books of this series not too long ago. You can read my thoughts on City of Lost Soul starting with this comment. Be mindful of the spoilers, of course 😉 And I'd be more than happy to talk with you about the series as you read it! Just remember to put spoiler-y thoughts in spoiler tags.

From what I remember about book 5, there was a section in the book that felt quite slow, like things weren't getting done and they were just hanging out. But things do pick up.

message 42: by Brittany (new)

I keep meaning to get back to reading this series I have book 5 to read also. 4 is supposed to be the weakest though May so Im hopeful!

message 43: by Gwen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gwen | 62 comments Seeing these comments make me want to reread the whole series haha. I think book 5 is definitely better than 4 and when I read them for the first time, book 6 was my favourite if I remember correctly.

message 44: by May (new) - added it

May | 18 comments you're all so nice! thank you :) (view spoiler)

message 45: by Liliana, YA Paranormal Lover (new) - rated it 5 stars

I agree Gwen! 6 was my favorite as well!

message 46: by Liliana, YA Paranormal Lover (new) - rated it 5 stars

May wrote: "you're all so nice! thank you :) [spoilers removed]"

Ooh you make a good point that I have never thought about. (view spoiler)

message 47: by Gwen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gwen | 62 comments Trying the spoiler thing for the first time so I hope it works 😅

(view spoiler)

message 48: by May (new) - added it

May | 18 comments Liliana wrote: "May wrote: "you're all so nice! thank you :) [spoilers removed]"

Ooh you make a good point that I have never thought about. It's been a hot minute since I read the first three books in the series,..."

(view spoiler)

message 49: by May (new) - added it

May | 18 comments Gwen wrote: "Trying the spoiler thing for the first time so I hope it works 😅

[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

message 50: by Liliana, YA Paranormal Lover (new) - rated it 5 stars

If you guys love Magnus as much as I do, I highly recommend The Bane Chronicles by Cassandra Clare (but definitely read after at least book 5 just to be safe from spoilers). There are a couple stories in there that are Malec centric, which were probably my favorite in the entire book! But the best one was definitely The Course of True Love and First Dates . It was SO cute!! They go on their first date and... it was just a lot of fun! Definitely read it! And it can be read at any time after book 2 probably. And of course there's The Eldest Curses series, which I have not read yet, but I'm sure it's great if it revolves around Alec and Magnus. Lol.

« previous 1