What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Childrens fantasy 3 (or more) siblings on vacation find a way into a magical world that they can only find if they have enough imagination. [s]

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Regina Zweng | 2 comments I read this as a kid probably around early 2000's, but I think the book may have been older.

One random detail I remember is that when describing how they were able to enter the world the person leading them said they needed to have a vivid imagination, usually only children can do it. They practiced by imagining grass and had to remember lots of details, like how it would look like from the perspective of an ant - every individual blade, smell, texture etcetera.

Another random moment I remember is someone was talking about how nobody looks up at the sky and are always looking at the ground. Immediately one of the kids notices that he is looking at the ground and then he promptly looks (maybe to prove him wrong) and then because it is raining, a raindrop falls in his eye and he realized why people might not look up anymore.

Honestly I don't remember too many of the plot details - kids on vacation and were bored and then go on some adventure. These two images in the book stuck with me though.

Nachelle | 144 comments Maybe "The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles" by Julie Andrews Edwards.

Regina Zweng | 2 comments Yes!! Thank you. That was fast. Did you just remember it or did you do a search? If a search do you have any tips for using random memories from books to find titles?

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris | 32294 comments Mod
Glad you found your book, Regina.

Here's the link for Nachelle's find - The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles by Julie Andrews Edwards.

Here's an ongoing discussion of tips for finding books - https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Nachelle | 144 comments I remembered it, so no tips really, but what sometimes works for me is trying different combinations of key phrases describing the book.