What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Great Unexpected
This topic is about The Great Unexpected
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Youth or YA fiction. They step in a fairy ring. I think at the end of the book that was the explanation for what had happened. I think it was an old-fashioned book. [s]

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 10 comments I don't remember much, mostly just my mental image of the last scene. Sorry for the vague details. I believe it was set in old England, though I'm not sure. I read it in maybe 2014 -2016. I think if was an old-fashioned book. I don't know if it was written in modern times and just set in old times, or actually written in old times. Thanks!

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 32317 comments Mod
Rachel, can you describe the main characters - how many kids, their ages, genders, related/friends, family/rich/poor?

Did they travel to a fantasy world after stepping in the fairy ring? (Spoilers are okay - just give us a clear warning before revealing a spoiler, or use the html spoiler tag.)

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 10 comments I really don't remember that much. I think they were either teenager or adults, and I believe they were both male and female. I think that the fairy ring at the end was explaining how all the events of the book had happened because they stepped in a fairy ring before the book all happened, previous to the events of the book.

message 4: by Bridget (last edited Apr 04, 2019 08:55AM) (new)

Bridget (oobridgetoo) | 172 comments This sounds like Summer of the Monkeys by Wilson Rawls. It is set in the 1890s U.S. and is based on the legend of the fairy ring. Might be your book. ;) Summer of the Monkeys

message 5: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 10 comments The plot doesn't sound familiar but it has been awhile so I can't be sure that it's not right. I'll read it and get back to you. Thanks for the suggestion.

message 6: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 10 comments I found it! It's The Great Unexpected It's set in America and Ireland, and while it's not really old fashioned, it's a small town so it seems kind of like that. It's been so long since I read it I can see my original description wasn't that great

message 7: by Bridget (new)

Bridget (oobridgetoo) | 172 comments I'm glad you found it! It really did sound like Summer of the Monkeys, anything similar must be good! I'll be adding The Great Unexpected to my TBR. =)