Terminalcoffee discussion

Random Queries > What's up with all of the GR ads???

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Matt (new)

Matt | 819 comments I totally understand the need for the ads, I mean the site is free and Otis has gotta eat too. What I don't understand is that most of the ads seem to be for complete crap that would not appeal to people who like to spend too much time on a book website. Are these the only types of companies actively buying ad space?

I just saw one for some sort of tooth whitening contraption. I actually clicked on it because I assumed that hilarity would ensue, but it goes to a 404 page. Did I somehow get lumped into the "brown-toothed" demographic?

Check out this picture...

My caption: "In the 23rd Century, technology provides us with better solutions for taking care of potty mouths compared to our ancestors Lava or Life Buoy..."

message 2: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) The only ads I've noticed have been for books.

What the hell is that thing, anyway? It looks like something from The Stepford Wives.

message 3: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17320 comments Mod
I'm not in the "brown tooth" demographic, but very much entrenched in the "flabby belly" target.

message 4: by Matt (new)

Matt | 819 comments Yes Misha, that lady in the pic looks so happy that I almost want to try that thing, but i'm afraid that I will suddenly realize that i'm wearing a floral-print dress and am married to Walken or something...

Sally: I'm not in that one, I guess my writing style sounds "skinny." Do they sell any funky light things to shine on one's stomach?

message 5: by Angie (new)

Angie (angabel) They do sell funky light things for toothbrushes, supposedly to keep bacteria away. I have one, but I didn't notice any difference when I was using it. Even abroad, I just kinda stuck my toothbrush anywhere in my backpack, bacteria be damned.

There was something about ads a while ago in the Feedback group. They try to keep the ads book-based but sometimes others happen to slip through.

What I'm annoyed about is that I keep seeing an ad for a book I recently won from GR which hasn't been mailed to me yet. Grrs!

message 6: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments my caption:

Rita The Robot Girl has a removable auto tune voicebox that she can put in when she wants to sing along with Little Wayne

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I can't stand the full page redirect ads that keep popping up.

message 8: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Sarah Pi wrote: "I can't stand the full page redirect ads that keep popping up. "

They bug me, too.

message 9: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) I haven't gotten any full-page redirect ads on GR. What browser are you using?

message 10: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I'm using Safari -- but I get them on IE8 as well.

message 11: by Angie (new)

Angie (angabel) I believe the ads are blocked by AdPlus on Firefox.

message 12: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) Ah. I use Firefox.

message 13: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i use firefox and i think the new update filters them

message 14: by Angie (new)

Angie (angabel) I'm so jealous of you guys using Firefox. It doesn't run on my computer anymore, so I'm using Google Chrome, which is nice, but I don't know how to block ads yet.

message 15: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Chrome, huh? Hmmmmmmm .... *goes off to check it out*

message 16: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments chrome is weird. hard to get it set up in an aesthetic way i think. i fear change. wait, i am using Bing! now so there goes that theory...

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't get the ads, and I use Safari.

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I use Firefox at work (and get the ads anyway).

At home I use Safari, but this weird thing has been happening where whenever I click on a new GR page, it does a little download that it calls desktop-1, desktop-2 and so on. They're empty files, but I just realized that they might be the ads.(?)

message 19: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments The 2 that bug me the most are:

1) some exterminator thing that makes little bugs jump around on the posts!

2) one for a book that's been up for DAYS "The Wet Nurse's Tale" Her breasts are her fortune.

are you kidding me?

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

The ad at this very page (right now, anyway) is for a book by a "promising and saucy new author." That sounds pretty cool--promising and saucy.

message 21: by Angie (new)

Angie (angabel) I'm glad it's this ad rather than the one for the GR book I won but they haven't gotten around to mailing me yet. That always made me mad.

message 22: by Angie (new)

Angie (angabel) Okay, so 8 out of the last 10 ads have been Christian-based and it's starting to drive me crazy. When did GR become a Christian website?/When did the Christians take *intense* interest in this site?

I'm hoping this is just one of their "phases" and it'll go away in a while.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

No Christian ads here either.

message 24: by Angie (new)

Angie (angabel) What the--

Maybe God is trying to change my heathen soul via the internet? :P

At first I just giggled because the one was advertising a film about God (I'm assuming the life of Jesus) and the film just looked bad. But then they keep popping up and... oh my goodness...

I'd love to see GR become ad-free. Of course, I don't have any money to give them to help them on that, but isn't that how it normally goes? :P

message 25: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) It is, Angie.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Huh. I've got an ad for "Create your Irish photo album now!"
I'm not Irish, I've never been to Ireland, I never even talk about Ireland. Whaaaa???

message 27: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (stephenT) Actually, and you all can pay me for this awesome insight, it is based upon what you put in your "Interests" on your profile page, and from your books. I have an ad right now that wants me to be a priest. ME? L O L

That will be $15.00 from each of you.

message 28: by Angie (new)

Angie (angabel) My interest is "rocket science" and most of my books are Asian-themed (including Buddhism)... so if Stephen is right, yup, God is angry with me. :P

message 29: by Matt (new)

Matt | 819 comments Interesting...I keep getting these ads with an impossibly "ab-ed" fellow telling me that I can "get ripped in four weeks." I have never mentioned working out anywhere on GR, aside from RA and I discussing our workout routines in email messages. If the adbot spider is crawling through those...man oh man would I be pissed. Ahh...who knows, maybe my prose just comes across as "flabby-abbed."

message 30: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) I'm really annoyed by the latest GR ad, which is some kind of survey that takes over my entire page and offers no clicky box to exit. I keep getting this while browsing my groups. I can hit "back" to return to the page I was looking at, or close the tab altogether, but it's really disruptive and it's pissing me off.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I think my computer has been blocking those. I keep getting a notification from my security program about some spyware thing, when I haven't gone anywhere but Goodreads. >:(

message 32: by Matt (new)

Matt | 819 comments Yes, i've gotten that also while only being in GR groups, Jackie. Once it made the page hang and two other times it acted like it was trying to install something and "scan" the computer for malware. Kind of worrisome as this behavior is similar to some really nasty malware that we have to deal with at work now and again...

message 33: by Matt (new)

Matt | 819 comments It looks like they're already on it in the GR Feedback group.

message 34: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) I'm glad to see they're looking into it. I'm so used to having to deal with annoyances on Facebook other sites that it doesn't even occur to me to report stuff like this. I just assume I'm getting screwed as a free-site user.

message 35: by Catalina (new)

Catalina | 268 comments I only get book ads on GR.

I have actually spent time culling my facebook ads and it has worked a bit.

message 36: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17320 comments Mod
I got a lot, I mean a lot of Christian ads for a while. The annoying thing is that I have adblocker installed, but I have to click on an ad and then "add filter" to stop seeing that particular ad.

message 37: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24099 comments Mod
The ads are also targeted to your gender, if you input one.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I'm only seeing Vitaminwater. As long as they don't start targeting Metamucil at me, I'll be okay.