The Sword and Laser discussion

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Trike (last edited Feb 11, 2019 09:00PM) (new)

Trike | 5147 comments I don’t pay much attention to the passing of time. When I say something happened “the other day”, that could be last Tuesday or 1985. A couple weeks ago it suddenly hit me that 1999 was 20 years ago. I suffered some chronological whiplash.

I clearly recall anticipating 1997 because that was the year the Robinsons got lost in space, that Snake Plissken escaped from New York, that Skynet became self-aware, that HAL went online... all sorts of cool stuff.

2019 is a year like that.

2019 is the year we discover proof that aliens exist on Alpha Centauri, per The Sparrow, Roy Batty schools Deckard about being a blade runner, Kaneda and Akira face off in NeoTokyo, and The Running Man is a hit reality TV series.

I noticed also that Daniel Radcliffe is going to be 30 this year, making him older than Harry Potter is at the end of Deathly Hallows’ infamous “19 years later”. Heh, nevermind I’m dumb. See below.

Anything else going down this year?

message 2: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1060 comments Dark Angel was set in 2019. Do we have a Manticore program yet? Anyone met gorgeous supersoldiers with barcodes on their necks?

message 3: by Phillip (new)

Phillip Murrell | 99 comments Trike wrote: "I clearly recall anticipating 1997 because that was the year the Robinsons got lost in space, that Snake Plissken escaped from New York, that Skynet became self-aware, that HAL went online... all sorts of cool stuff."

I had a Terminator marathon in August 1997. Judgment Day happened on my television.

message 4: by John (Nevets) (new)

John (Nevets) Nevets (Nevets) | 1043 comments I'm not sure about your math on the Daniel Radcliffe one, but otherwise, thanks for the jaunt down memory lane.

Just from a high level, how crazy is it that Running Man is as prescient as it is.

message 5: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (JohnTaloni) | 2703 comments ^Yeah, 18+19 = 37. (Echoes of Dante in Clerks saying "I'm 37?!?")

I am still waiting on lunar and mars colonies. Not mention we are 18 years late for an AI and a message from monoliths. *taps feet impatiently*

message 6: by Scott (new)

Scott | 305 comments John Spartan and Simon Phoenix have been frozen cryogenically for 23 years and will be released in 13 years.
Do you know about the seashells yet?

message 7: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (Pezski) | 454 comments Man, I grew up on Space 1999 so I've been bummed out by this for literally decades...

message 8: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 1932 comments Let us not forget that per the timeline of C.J. Cherryh's Alliance/Union books, the first (unmanned) interstellar probe was launched in 2005 and the first manned expedition (sublight) departed probably around 2015.

message 9: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (JohnTaloni) | 2703 comments On the plus side we can still look forward to Zefram Cochrane's discovery of warp drive, only 44 years away. Keep taking those vitamins kids!

message 10: by Rick (new)

Rick | 2248 comments Charlie Stross' Accelerando has been happening for 9 years....

message 11: by Trike (new)

Trike | 5147 comments John (Taloni) wrote: "^Yeah, 18+19 = 37. (Echoes of Dante in Clerks saying "I'm 37?!?")

I am still waiting on lunar and mars colonies. Not mention we are 18 years late for an AI and a message from monoliths. *taps feet..."

LOL I just realized used 9 instead of 19. How embarrassing. 😝

message 12: by John (Nevets) (new)

John (Nevets) Nevets (Nevets) | 1043 comments John (Taloni) wrote: "On the plus side we can still look forward to Zefram Cochrane's discovery of warp drive, only 44 years away. Keep taking those vitamins kids!"

But that would mean we are only 7 years away from WWIII, not sure I’m ready for that.

message 13: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2396 comments The Matrix turns 20 in March and that just seems impossible. That film still feels new to me.

message 14: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

Tassie Dave | 2466 comments Mod
Dara wrote: "The Matrix turns 20 in March and that just seems impossible. That film still feels new to me."

Still my favourite Sci-Fi movie and the best movie ever made in Australia.

message 15: by John (Nevets) (new)

John (Nevets) Nevets (Nevets) | 1043 comments Wow, Dave that's a tall order. It is a great movie, but for my money "Fury Road", may pull ahead of it for made in Australia. I might even put "After Thuderdome" as close runner up to both those, but it's all personal taste.

message 16: by Trike (new)

Trike | 5147 comments John (Nevets) wrote: "Wow, Dave that's a tall order. It is a great movie, but for my money "Fury Road", may pull ahead of it for made in Australia. I might even put "After Thuderdome" as close runner up to both those, b..."

Technically Fury Road was mostly made in Namibia and South Africa.

message 17: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 1932 comments And let us not forget The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert.

message 18: by John (Nevets) (last edited Feb 12, 2019 05:36PM) (new)

John (Nevets) Nevets (Nevets) | 1043 comments Trike wrote: "Technically Fury Road was mostly made in Namibia and South Africa."

Dohh, I forgot that. Wasn't it something like that year it ended up being crazy wet in Central Australia or am I misremembering that as well.

And yes I agree "The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert" should be in the conversation as well, that was a really fun movie.

*edited for clarity*

message 19: by Trike (new)

Trike | 5147 comments John (Nevets) wrote: "Trike wrote: "John (Nevets) wrote: "Technically Fury Road was mostly made in Namibia and South Africa."

Dohh, I forgot that. Wasn't it something like that year it ended up being crazy wet in Centr..."

Yep: https://www.movie-locations.com/movie...

message 20: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2396 comments Thanks, climate change.