I Read Comic Books discussion

Challenges > 2019 Recommended Reading Challenge - Recommendations

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mike (new)

Mike Rapin (mikerapin) | 325 comments Mod
2019 Recommended Reading Challenge

IRCB is putting together another recommended reading challenge for 2019! If you would like to add a trade (collected edition) or graphic novel (OGN) to the official list, please comment below with the title and why you recommend it.

Rules:
You may only recommend one title. Recommended titles must be a trade (collected edition) or OGN and available in English (original or translated).

Unlike Book of the Month nominations, your recommendation may be any volume in a series. Please keep in mind, however, that the people you’re recommending it to may not have read the preceding volumes. Therefore, please try to pick a good jumping on point.

If your favorite book in a series isn’t a good jumping on point for new readers but you’d still like to use it, please nominate the trade where people should start reading, then include in your explanation which trade is actually your favorite.

Books that were part of the 2017/2018 Recommended Reading Challenges will not be included in the 2019 list. You can see 2018's challenge list here and 2017's challenge list here.

The Challenge:
On February 1st, all titles recommended on this thread, as well as a recommendation from each IRCB podcaster, will be put together to form the 2019 Recommended Reading Challenge. A master list, tracking widget, progress thread, and discussion thread will be posted to this folder.

Taking part in the challenge will be a great way to discover new trades and OGNs. Those who finish the challenge by December 31st, 2019 will win a shout-out on the podcast and an IRCB vinyl sticker!

So... what do you recommend, IRCBers?!

message 2: by Robert (new)

Robert | 45 comments I recommend Sex Criminals, by Matt Fraction and Chip Zdarsky. Great irreverent fun!

Sex Criminals, Vol. 1: One ...

Sex Criminals, Vol. 1: One Weird Trick

message 3: by Erin (new)

Erin (erinspapercut) | 42 comments This was so hard to choose, but I'm going to recommend Heathen, Vol. 1! I loved this book so, so much. I am a huge sucker for anything Norse mythology based, and I want to read more stories of women living, loving, etc. in that setting.

Heathen Volume 1 (Heathen, Volume #1) by Natasha Alterici

Heathen Volume 1

message 4: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 190 comments This book is magical!!!

Mech Cadet Yu, Vol. 1

message 5: by Devon (new)

Devon Munn (DevonMM) | 23 comments One i would highly recommend is Last Sons Of America by Phillip Kennedy Johnson. So damn good

message 6: by Aaron (new)

Aaron Wiener | 18 comments I recommend “A Walk Through Hell” by Garth Ennis

message 7: by Cristina (new)

Cristina Bracho Carrillo (Liv_Kristine) | 2 comments Erin wrote: "This was so hard to choose, but I'm going to recommend Heathen, Vol. 1! I loved this book so, so much. I am a huge sucker for anything Norse mythology based, and I want to read more stories of wome..."

Thanks for the suggestion! I love it!

message 8: by 47Time (new)

47Time | 14 comments Kill or be Killed, Vol. 1 cause it's Brubaker. Do we need more reason? Anyone who has read his crime fiction wouldn't hesitate. Whoever has never read Brubaker, it's a guy who writes good thrillers with some noir thrown in that feature regular guys in some hairy situations.

message 9: by Francis (new)

Francis | 75 comments My recommendation is Judge Dredd: America, it's one of my most memorable 2000 AD/Judge Dredd reads, but I've not re read it in many years, it's definitely a classic though.

message 10: by Geoff (new)

Geoff (geopet) | 15 comments I'll recommend Lone Wolf and Cub, Vol. 1: The Assassin's Road.

Lone Wolf and Cub is probably my all time favorite series.

This is the first of 28 volumes, and I think that it gives people who haven't read this Kazuo Koike/Goseki Kojima classic a solid appreciation of what this series will be like. It is also likely easily available in libraries and it is in the ComiXology Unlimited library as well.

message 11: by Jakub (new)

Jakub Kvíz | 5 comments I recommend Alone by Christophe Chabouté https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

message 12: by Oneirosophos (new)

Oneirosophos | 6 comments I recommend the best comic I've read in 2018:

Clara
by Christophe Lemoine & Cécile

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

It's been released in e-book format by Europe Comics. Excellent choices, check them out.

If I had to recommend a non-electronic format, I would recommend Seconds by Bryan Lee O'Malley

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

message 13: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 32 comments I'd like to recommend Jem and the Holograms Vol. 1: Showtime because it's fun and colorful and is a beautiful example of adapting a beloved 80s animated series into a comic in a really great + relevant way.

message 14: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 147 comments Ultimate Spider-Man, Volume 1: Power and Responsibility

I know Bendis' writing isn't for everyone, but this series is fantastic. It takes a lot of the quintessential Spider-Man elements and boils it down into a digestible quantity. This is Peter Parker at the beginning moments of becoming Spider-Man. I feel like this series goes back to what makes being Spider-Man so enjoyable rather than just dwelling on what bad thing is going to happen to Peter Parker next.

message 15: by Craig (new)

Craig | 5 comments Here's one off the beaten track: Judas, by Jeff Loveness.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

Read this last fall and it is one of the most beautifully-drawn comics I've ever seen, plus the Biblical story of Judas is really well-handled. Just see if you don't feel sorry for the poor guy by the end...

message 16: by James (new)

James Hahn | 18 comments I Am a Hero Omnibus, Volume 1

I Am A Hero is about a loner manga artist who also owns a shotgun, something very rare in Japan where there is strong gun control. Its a very unique take on the zombie genre that is charming, brutal, and horrifying :)