Start by marking “Seconds” as Want to Read:
Seconds

Seconds

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  38,461 ratings  ·  3,446 reviews
Katies got it pretty good. Shes a talented young chef, she runs a successful restaurant, and she has big plans to open an even better one. Then, all at once, progress on the new location bogs down, her charming ex-boyfriend pops up, her fling with another chef goes sour, and her best waitress gets badly hurt. And just like that, Katies life goes from pretty good to not so ...more
Published July 15th 2014 by Ballantine Books

To ask other readers questions about Seconds, please sign up.
Val There's no violence or explicit sex, but there are cutaway scenes and it deals more with like the stress/responsibility of having to make choices and…moreThere's no violence or explicit sex, but there are cutaway scenes and it deals more with like the stress/responsibility of having to make choices and stick with them. There are a couple vaguely scary scenes, I guess? But nothing that would really limit it to adults instead of teens, in my opinion. Adults might find it more entertaining generally, but no promises either way with that, as it's definitely more dependent on personal tastes than age. (less)

·  38,461 ratings  ·  3,446 reviews

Start your review of Seconds
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
Jul 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was so great! One of the best graphic novels I've read. I wasn't expecting the dark turn it took there towards the end. I would definitely recommend this for those who are wanting to get into graphic novels.
Ariel
Apr 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
THIS BOOK IS SOLID GOLD.

The illustrations? ADORABLE!
The theme? Old but done relevantly!
The story? Compelling!
The characters? Loveable!
Sequel? Doesn't exist but I want one so bad!

Everything about the story and characters had me flipping through this gorgeous graphic novel late into the night. The moment I finished it I wanted to start it again. <3
Nick
Jul 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
I found this really really weird, I don't know why.
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Katie is a chef that is doing well. She has built a reputation as a great cook and is opening her own restaurant. One night her ex comes into the restaurant and then her best waitress gets horribly burned.
Then that night she finds a box in her dresser left by the house elf.

BAM! Instant redo.
The thing is Katie keeps wanting to change things. Why not have that instant redo. So easy..Just write it in the book and have a mushroom.

Lis the house elf is not happy with Katie. Only one redo was
Nat
Jun 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This follows Katie, a talented young chef. She runs a successful restaurant, and has big plans to open an even better one.

description
This review contains *spoilers*.

Then, all at once, progress on the new location bogs down, her charming ex-boyfriend pops up, her fling with another chef goes sour, and her best waitress (Hazel) gets badly hurt. And just like that, Katies life goes from pretty good to not so much. What she needs is a second chance.

description

Katie has been given a second chance. And it seems like
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Houston commercial photography

What could possibly go wrong with eating a random mushroom left for you with those instructions? Katie should have probably asked Alice about that . . .

Houston commercial photography

Actually, in Katies case the magic shroom simply gives her a chance at a re-do. And boy could she use one in order to get the renovations on her dream restaurant back on track and stop just being the chef at Seconds. Unfortunately, when a waitress gets badly burned Katie uses her
Micah
Jul 24, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kinda shits the bed in end, its one of those books, but the two-hundred pages leading up to the reveal are nearly perfect. What struck me reading this was that the conversation about Seconds will always only ever be about its relationship with Scott Pilgrim and and not about the fact that this book does the thing all good YA* does: it gets really fucked up, really fast.

When O'Malley wants it to get dark, it gets fucking dark .

People will talk about the time travel and the in-jokes, cute art
Lori
Mar 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lori by: Keen Reader's review
Shelves: own, reviewed
Only my second graphic novel and what a delightful one my GR friend Keen Reader recommended to me. Seconds is wonderful, with characters that are more realistic and interesting than in some of the novels I've read. The title is a clever pun since Katie's restaurant is named Seconds and she finds a way to have a second chance at something. But sometimes a taste is not enough and she wants another chance and another, because each new fix brings a new mistake. Katie hasn't realized nothing and no ...more
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Jun 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
One of the most original graphic novels I've ever read!

Around the Year in 52 Books Challenge Notes:
- 10. A book you feel you should've read by now
Greta
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wouldnt it be wonderful if we could correct our mistakes in life; reverse bad choices and undo wrong things we did or said?
Imagine you only had to write down your mistake, ingest a magical mushroom, go to sleep, and the next day your blunder would have been erased and you would wake up in a life that has been set on a different course. An instant redo, with little effort, and no more struggling with regret, acceptance and even apologizing!

After she meets the house ghost Lis in the restaurant
Diane
Aug 21, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
This graphic novel is just cool.

It's the story of Katie, a chef who wants to open her own restaurant, and she also wishes she could get back with her ex-boyfriend, Max. Katie lives in an apartment above a restaurant named Seconds, and one night she meets Lis, the spirit of the house. Katie finds some mushrooms and a notebook in an old dresser, and by writing down a mistake and eating the mushroom, the past will be changed.

Katie quickly gets addicted trying to fix all of her mistakes, and each
David Schaafsma
Dec 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga, food
What is the deal with manga about food and wine? Wildly popular, I am told, in Japan, especially: Oshinbo, Antique Bakery, Drops of Wine, others, and now this Canadian/LA manga guy known for his amazing and funny Scott Pilgrim series writes a book about a 29 year old female chef and her two restaurants. Where he includes recipes periodically amidst the story line.

So this is really colorful and splashy and light and funny, with a woman chef who is in her late twenties and dealing with men and
Melania &#x1f352;
3,8/5

Apparently I cant stop reading graphic novels. How was this genre unknown to me all this time? Its so much work and talent to appreciate and also so much fun to read.

Seconds was definitely good. The.Art.Is.Fantastic! Bold ,beautiful colors, simple but really cute drawings; the city especially was stunningly drawn and colored. I loved everything about that.
The story is also a strong point. It reminded me so much of Anyas Ghost but for me Seconds is like a 2.0 version. It is more complex,
Calista
Fantastic. I love this story. It is about Katie and her restaurant. She is a chef. The story is a foodie story. It's also about mushrooms and I love mushrooms. Yum. There is a house spirit, which I think is the twist that I really love. There is other dimensions and witches and all kinds of cool things. There is a love story and there is snow! I mean this has everything. I think it's set in London, could be wrong about that, but it seems British.

There is a notebook and if you write: 1 Your
Stu West
Jun 26, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This new self-contained story from Bryan Lee O'Malley swaps the geeky pyrotechnics of his SCOTT PILGRIM series for the more sedate story of Katie, a restaurateur who gains the ability to magically undo her own mistakes.

I really wanted to like this. It's a tremendously handsome volume, and the colouring is gorgeous. I just couldn't get past the one-dimensional and unengaging main character. That's not necessarily a deal-breaker: after all, Scott Pilgrim is also incredibly shallow and
Sam Quixote
Oct 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Seconds is a successful restaurant, thanks in large part to Katies cooking and dedication but she doesnt own the place. So shes been scrimping and saving to buy her own restaurant, move out of Seconds, and live happily ever after. Except there are delays in the renovation of the dump she bought with her business partner. Oh, and the house spirit of Seconds has issues with Katie.

Katie dreams about a strange girl crouching atop her cabinet and, after a disastrous night in the kitchen, she looks
Dylan Williams
Oct 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
WOAH! The colouring and illustrations in this graphic novel are the most beautiful that I have ever read, and unlike most graphic novels where I struggle to form any real connection with the characters, in this everyone feels so real! The plot is really quite meaningful too and is a lot darker than you think it will be at the start... I loved it!
Kate (GirlReading)
I loved this so much, it was the perfect balance of and utterly bizarre and utterly brilliant. It was funny, creepy, suspenseful, intense, adorable and impossible to put down (literally. I was reading it at 4am...) The artwork was gorgeous and the unique concept had me hooked from the first page until the last. I absolutely loved that it followed a cast of characters in their twenties and the fact that it centred around a restaurant was so much fun. It had a diverse cast of characters, all of ...more
Susie
Nov 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
THIS book hit all my buttons, to no surprise. New favorite.
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Jan 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics-n-stuff
This was mega cute.
Raeleen Lemay
Jul 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, graphicomanga
Amazing. This was a fun, hilarious, and at times very dark graphic novel. I'll read anything Bryan Lee O'Malley writes!
Maxwell
Jan 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, 2015
This was a trip. I've never read anything by Bryan Lee O'Malley, but I love the Scott Pilgrim movie. And the humor in this was very similar. The artwork was adorable; it's like little chibi characters. And one of my favorite things was the interactions between Katie, the main character, and the third-person narrator of the story. It was fun to have her directly respond to the narration with snide remarks or contradictions. I also really enjoyed the use of slang and "like" and "literally," ...more
Sarah Churchill
Fun, funny, but also dark. Katie messes with things she doesn't understand and ends up whizzing through different realities, making her realise what really matters and other such deep messages.

Katie's one of those characters that I both like and dislike, but she did make me laugh. Her little banter with the narrator (herself?) was fun, breaking down the fourth wall a little.

I like the artwork, but what I liked more was the PRESENTATION of the artwork. Switching between standard cell work or
emily
May 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
What a nice story!!!!!! I just really, really enjoyed this story about second (or third or fourth or..) chances and trying to fix something whether or not it's broken. It has a magical element to it, house spirits, which I really liked. It played into the story very nicely. One thing that I loved was how the main character, Katie, could hear and interact with the narrator, I thought that was really cute. This is just a really nice story!!!!! I think you guys should read it!!!!!!!!
Jan Philipzig
A fantastic morality tale; a bunch of twenty-something characters designed to be entertaining rather than believable; crisp and bright manga-esque cartooning. Nothing terribly original or deep, but competently executed and enjoyable enough.
First Second Books
I finally read SECONDS this weekend, and I really enjoyed it. I love the cartooning style O'Malley used in this book, and I thought the coloring was very beautiful. And the concept of house spirits -- and the world-building around them -- was fresh and interesting and drove the story along at a great clip. Very curious to see what Mal has up his sleeve for his next project.
Ana
I dont know what I was expecting, but clearly, the cover and the overall cutesy art style didnt help in anticipating the dark, trippy twist the story takes. Its all fun and games, until it isnt!

I found Seconds a refreshing, utterly enjoyable read. However, my favourite thing about it was the little snarky dialogue that goes between Katie and the third-person narrator. I wouldnt want to hear my mistakes being pointed out by a semi-detached voiceover either!
Carmen
Aug 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Carmen by: Book Store
Time travel, 29-year-old quarter-life crisis, magic mushrooms, and amazing illustrations. What more could you ask for from a graphic novel.

Even I, a person who doesn't really like graphic novels, settle down for an exciting romp every time I pick up a B Lee O'Malley book.

So much more I could talk about, but I don't have a copy. So I'll come back later and flesh this out.
Tess Taylor
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
4, by default-
This is a weird little graphic novel. The premise is supernatural in a refreshing way, but it did feel a little plot-holey to me in parts. (That seems to happen a lot IMO when authors take liberties with alternate dimensions and time travel.) Katie is a drab and unlikeable main character, but everything else about this was pretty fun. I LOVE O'Malley's art direction and writing style. Scott Pilgrim is a masterpiece. This outing is just "ok", but gets high marks for likable
Hershey
Welcome to Seconds!

Chef (aka main character): Katie

What's on the menu: Fun is on the menu with a few sprinkles of darkness!

Seconds was a really good graphic novel. The artwork was fantastic and I loved the colours! The characters are portrayed like cute chibi characters which might generally make one think this is meant for a younger audience but worry not for this novel is meant for all ages and the characters are older than how they look!

Katie wants to open a new restaurant but things aren't
ABQ Graphic Novel...: May's Book Seconds 3 9 May 07, 2016 04:50PM

• This One Summer
  • Blankets
  • Through the Woods
  • In Real Life
  • Sass & Sorcery (Rat Queens, #1)
  • Ghost World
  • The Sculptor
  • Lucky Penny
  • American Born Chinese
  • Beware the Kitten Holy (Lumberjanes, Vol. 1)
  • Paper Girls, Vol. 1
  • Nothing Can Possibly Go Wrong
  • Habibi
  • The Arrival
  • The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 1: The Faust Act (The Wicked + The Divine #1)
  • La Ligue Des Gentlemen Extraordinaires Volume 1
Bryan Lee O'Malley is a Canadian cartoonist. His first original graphic novel was Lost at Sea (2003), and he is best-known for the six-volume Scott Pilgrim series (2004 to 2010). All of his Scott Pilgrim graphic novels were published by Portland, Oregon-based Oni Press. In July 2014 his graphic novel Seconds was released by Ballantine Books. He is also a songwriter and musician (as Kupek and ...more