Kindle Unlimited Reads discussion

KU Author Exchange DESCRIPTION > Anyone interested in swapping reviews?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emma (new)

Emma Jaye | 14 comments Most of us are in the same boat, Terri, but review exchanges are deeply frowned upon because of the spectre of bias.
My advice would be to enjoy your hobby, if you find it so stressful, why are you continuing?
I suggest working on your craft, your covers, and build up a network via social media. Facebook is better than Goodreads for that. Find authors you admire, join their reader groups, see how its done!

message 2: by Emma (new)

Emma Jaye | 14 comments I'm glad you don't want to pay for reviews, that can get you and the reviewer banned from Amazon.
I wasn't suggesting people who swap review are biased, its just a perception people have!
Which peer review groups have you tried?

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm not sure if you are interested in the Facebook groups -- but here are a few.

1. Unlimited book promos - 5, 830 members
2. Pimping of all romance books - 519 members
3. All Books, All the time promotion group - 3,153 likes
4. Advertise your books - not sure
5. The indie page - not sure

When I have a chance I will look though my groups to see if I missed any. I have to get dinner started, ttyl.

message 5: by Emma (new)

Emma Jaye | 14 comments Those aren't peer review groups. The only people who tend to post in the groups you mention are fellow authors or inexperienced PAs doing EXACTLY what you are. They aren't often interested in buying other authors work.
It's like trying to sell sand to the Middle East.
Save your time and effort and try bloggers groups in your genre. Look up books that you think are similar to yours, find blogger reviews, look up their groups on Facebook etc. Don't pimp your own work for a while. Interact. Get to know them, then post.

Writing and marketing is a steep learning curve, but many people who start in the same way you have make it, usually by constantly refining technique.

message 6: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Golden | 69 comments Emma wrote: "Those aren't peer review groups. The only people who tend to post in the groups you mention are fellow authors or inexperienced PAs doing EXACTLY what you are. They aren't often interested in buyin..."

There are several review groups here on Goodreads. Just do a search for groups and you'll find them. Some of these review groups are genre specific, which is even better. In which genre and sub-genre do you write?

If you exchange reviews with another author, there's a great chance both reviews will be deleted, and both authors could have their accounts blocked.

message 7: by Emma (new)

Emma Jaye | 14 comments Also, if you agree a swap, what happens if the other person's book is horrible, do you feel obliged to return their 5 star review of your book?
Do you want people who follow you to spend their money on a rotten book? or think that you actually like writing that is bad? Direct review swaps are a minefield, and as Kathy says, could end up with you loosing your amazon account.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

No, not at all. I leave only honest reviews. I am turning to authors, because I cannot find readers, and I love their honest feed back. As I mentioned before, their honest feedback on my first novella taught me so much.
As I mentioned before, I love to read. If I have a book in front of me, I will not get anything done. I will even stop writing until I finish that book. I turned to GoodReads years ago because I could not find honest reviews on Amazon. And a lot of times, the five-star reviews never add up to the book. I have friends on GoodReads, who I follow and they follow back. This is my author page, not my review page. I will not leave a five-star review to get a five-star review.
Now, you talk like only authors are leaving five-star reviews to get one in return. And that is not the case. Some bloggers or fans also fabricate on reviews, and the books are not as promising as the reviews. I was going to sign up for a blogging group, I cannot remember the name to review books, but the stimulation was, you could only leave a three-star or higher. And, I didn't think that was right. I think people should be able to write their honest opinions.
Authors including myself will face criticism, and I will use that to learn from, not become angry at a reviewer. I want nothing but honesty. If I don't get honesty how will I learn?
The authors I exchange with, I make sure they are honest, and so far they have been more helpful, then any blogger, or facebook group I have come across. I also love talking to them and hearing their advice. I am glad I came across some authors who I have met through swapping, they are supportive and have helped me more than anyone else. Everyone else wants $, and right now it isn't finically worth it, because my writing is not making me no money.