Book Riot's Read Harder Challenge discussion

2019 Read Harder Challenge > Task #20. A book written in prison

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Patty (new)

Patty Marvel (rubberbandgirl) | 24 comments Would “Rosewater”/ “Then They Came For Me” by Maziar Bahari count? I’m not sure how much (if any) of the book was written while he was imprisoned in Iran.

message 2: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (madelinewagner) | 29 comments My sister suggested Guantánamo Diary and the audiobook is on Hoopla (a library app).

message 4: by Harper (new)

Harper Sutherland | 36 comments Thanks for the interesting suggestion!
Lindsey wrote: "I think I'll read No Friend But the Mountains: Writing from Manus Prison."

message 5: by Ana (new)

Ana (ana_curet) Soledad Brother: The Prison Letters of George Jackson.

message 6: by Shay (new)

Shay Vande (goodreadscomshaylogic) I'm going to read De Profundis, which was written by Oscar Wilde while he was in prison for, essentially, being gay.

message 7: by Emilia (new)

Emilia Schobeiri (emjscho) | 6 comments If you haven't read Guantanamo DiaryGuantánamo Diary: Restored Edition yet you absolute must! Cannot recommend this highly enough for this task.

message 8: by Emilia (new)

Emilia Schobeiri (emjscho) | 6 comments Patty wrote: "Would “Rosewater”/ “Then They Came For Me” by Maziar Bahari count? I’m not sure how much (if any) of the book was written while he was imprisoned in Iran."

I read Then They Came For Me last year and I don't think he wrote any of it while he was in prison. I'm not sure about Rosewater.

message 9: by Tamara (new)

Tamara | 23 comments I'll be reading "The Enormous Room" by e.e cummings for this one.

message 10: by Ali (new)

Ali (alikazaam) | 4 comments I’ll be reading Wrestling with the Devil by Ngugi Wa Thiong’o.

message 11: by Lucia (new)

Lucia Kelly | 45 comments Hi there! I'm compiling lists of everyone's suggestions for the challenges, in case that's easier for some people (I know it is for me!) c:

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...

message 12: by Carolina (last edited Jan 02, 2019 04:41AM) (new)

Carolina (calaqua) | 65 comments Ali wrote: "I’ll be reading Wrestling with the Devil by Ngugi Wa Thiong’o."
I read a Ngugi book for my final year of high school - Petals of Blood. His name brings back bad memories for me haha :P

message 13: by Karin (new)

Karin (8littlepaws) | 116 comments Emilia wrote: "If you haven't read Guantanamo DiaryGuantánamo Diary: Restored Edition yet you absolute must! Cannot recommend this highly enough for this task."

Oh, thank you for posting this--I had no idea there was a restored version now available!

message 14: by Judith (new)

Judith Rich | 77 comments Lucia wrote: "Hi there! I'm compiling lists of everyone's suggestions for the challenges, in case that's easier for some people (I know it is for me!) c:

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1......"

That's a fantastic idea! Thanks!

message 15: by Jill (new)

Jill Stevenson (jsteven3) | 4 comments “Letters from Prison” - Bonhoeffer

message 16: by Risa (new)

Risa | 3 comments "Letter from a Birmingham Jail" comes to mind, but I might swap it out with something a bit longer, idk.

message 17: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Hager (cheryl_is_reading) | 67 comments I am stretching this one and going with an author who has been in prison. Oscar Wilde I've read several of his books, so I'll just pick another.

message 18: by Raphael (new)

Raphael Gouvea | 2 comments would "conversation with myself" by Mandela count? only part of the book is from his diaries from prison.

message 19: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (andbutso) Raphael wrote: "would "conversation with myself" by Mandela count? only part of the book is from his diaries from prison."

I've chosen "The Prison Letters of Nelson Mandela", released back in July. This also fulfills #1, a collection of letters.

message 20: by Carrie (new)

Carrie Straka (deweyscrapper) | 73 comments I listened to Letter from Birmingham Jail for this task. It was very short, but I think possibly more powerful on audio.

message 21: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 30 comments I'm worried that this task may be triggering for me as I have some trauma related to prisons that I'm still working on. However, I also think it's truly important to hear the voices of people speaking to us from within the carceral system. That being said, if anyone has a recommendation for a book written by a person who was experiencing incarceration that is not actually about being imprisoned, I would welcome it.

message 22: by Chickadee (new)

Chickadee | 46 comments Lucia wrote: "Hi there! I'm compiling lists of everyone's suggestions for the challenges, in case that's easier for some people (I know it is for me!) c:

Thank you!

message 23: by Elise (new)

Elise Robbins | 2 comments Lucia wrote: "Hi there! I'm compiling lists of everyone's suggestions for the challenges, in case that's easier for some people (I know it is for me!) c:

I LOVE this! Thank you !!

message 24: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (andbutso) Kelly wrote: "I'm worried that this task may be triggering for me as I have some trauma related to prisons that I'm still working on. However, I also think it's truly important to hear the voices of people speak..."

Kelly, perhaps Le Morte d’Arthur (Sir Thomas Malory) or Don Quixote (Miguel de Cervantes)?

message 25: by Jen (new)

Jen Hubbard | 1 comments I haven't picked one yet, but here's a helpful list for anyone else looking for books written by women: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...

message 26: by Bonnie G. (new)

Bonnie G. (narshkite) | 1306 comments Cheryl wrote: "I am stretching this one and going with an author who has been in prison. Oscar Wilde I've read several of his books, so I'll just pick another."

De Profundis was written in prison

message 27: by Leslie Ann (new)

Leslie Ann (leslie_ann) | 139 comments I'm trying to fulfill these prompts with books for my Around-the-World Reading Challenge. So, I'm choosing Papillon.

message 28: by Megan (last edited Jan 19, 2019 05:02PM) (new)

Megan Allore | 9 comments I'm thinking about reading Live from Death Row by Mumia Abu-Jamal.

message 29: by Karen (new)

Karen | 31 comments Tamara wrote: "I'll be reading "The Enormous Room" by e.e cummings for this one."

Thanks for this suggestion. If I read this I can also tick of another book on one of several 1001 books lists!

message 30: by Maureen (new)

Maureen (writework) | 14 comments Some others to consider: Orange is the New Black, by Piper Kerman, and Soul on Ice by Eldridge Cleaver. Oh, and In the Belly of the Beast by Jack Abbott.

message 31: by Tom (last edited Feb 02, 2019 12:52PM) (new)

Tom Jonesman | 9 comments I'm reading From the Inside: Life in a Women's Prison - By the Charity Worker Who Should Never Have Been There because it is the story of a charity worker in the city I live in who was wrongly imprisoned and I only know about it because I read Stuart: A Life Backwards last year. So far it is almost unbearably sad....

message 32: by Kimmy (new)

Kimmy (rainy918) | 4 comments I think I will read Dopefiend by Douglas Goines for this challenge

message 33: by Megan (last edited Feb 03, 2019 06:36AM) (new)

Megan | 131 comments Maureen wrote: "Some others to consider: Orange is the New Black, by Piper Kerman, and Soul on Ice by Eldridge Cleaver. Oh, and In the Belly of the Beast by Jack Abbott."

OITNB was not written *in* prison. She wrote it after she got out, IIRC.

Ah. here:

"The woman I shared a cube with for many months turned to me one day and said 'You go home and write a book about this, bunkie,'” Kerman said in a 2013 interview with Mother Jones. "I was not necessarily planning on writing a book, but when I came home, almost every single person I knew wanted to hear about my experience. I had a sense that it would interest people who would not otherwise pick up a book about prison. I wasn’t writing for the choir."

https://www.bustle.com/p/when-did-pip...

message 34: by Sasha (new)

Sasha  Wolf | 5 comments I'm going to read The Russian Revolution by Rosa Luxemburg.

message 35: by Amaris (new)

Amaris Skye (amarisskye) | 4 comments I read Civil Disobedience by Henry David Thoreau

message 36: by Becky (last edited Aug 03, 2019 09:39AM) (new)

Becky Helterbran | 2 comments FYI: if you're still looking for something, Amazon has Doing Time: 25 Years of Prison Writing-A PEN American Center Prize Anthology on sale today for $1.99 (Kindle edition).

message 37: by Shannon (last edited Aug 17, 2019 04:23PM) (new)

Shannon  Heffernan (shannonsh) | 6 comments I just read Letters to My Younger Self: An Anthology of Writings by Incarcerated Men at S.C.I. Graterford and I am deeply glad I did. It is powerful, moving, and incredibly touching. It's also a collection of letters, which addresses task #1. Thanks to Holly Genovese for the recommendation on the Book Riot Post. I also very highly recommend it.