Book Riot's Read Harder Challenge discussion

2019 Read Harder Challenge > Task #6: A book by an AOC set in or about space

Comments Showing 1-50 of 90 (90 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Book Riot (new)

Book Riot Community (book_riot) | 430 comments Mod
Use this space to discuss books you're reading or that might fit the 6th Read Harder task.

message 2: by Brandon (last edited Dec 30, 2018 09:14AM) (new)

message 3: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa | 6 comments Dawn is set in space, and the start of an interesting series.

message 4: by Kate (last edited Dec 17, 2018 05:42PM) (new)

Kate | 116 comments Science fiction is my very least favorite genre, so I'm going nonfiction here with Hidden Figures: The Untold True Story of Four African-American Women Who Helped Launch Our Nation into Space, which I've been meaning to read anyway. Mae Jemison's autobiography Find Where The Wind Goes: Moments From My Life would also be good for a nonfiction pick - it is out of print but would be available secondhand or at libraries.

message 5: by Bonnie G. (new)

Bonnie G. (narshkite) | 1353 comments I am going with Binti.

message 6: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tracyisreading) | 9 comments Bonnie wrote: "I am going with Binti."

same

message 7: by Satrina (new)

Satrina T | 39 comments I read Binti for this years Read Harder Challenge and I loved it! I'm reading Home and/or The Night Masquerade for this one

message 8: by Virginia (new)

Virginia (vlgrantham) | 7 comments I"m going with Binti or Ninefox Gambit.

message 9: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 356 comments I'm thinking Warchild, a space opera/coming of age, by Karin Lowachee or The Kaleidoscope: The Gift of Madness, a sf space philosophy by Adrian Mendoza.

message 10: by Elvira (new)

Elvira | 3 comments I think I'll read The Three-Body Problem

message 11: by Judith (new)

Judith Rich | 84 comments I'm hoping Dr Maggie Aderin-Pocock has written something factual. Preferably aimed at children, as that's probably my level where astronomy is concerned!

I read "Binti" last year and didn't like it - sci-fi just really isn't my thing.

Oh - I just found out Dr Maggie has a kids' astronomy book coming out in 2019! "Dr Maggie's Grand Tour of the Solar System". Perhaps I'll buy it for my nephews... if not, I'll try her "Book of the Moon".

message 12: by Stina (new)

Stina (stinalyn) | 177 comments I'm going to give Ninefox Gambit another try.

message 13: by Lexi (new)

message 14: by Melody (new)

Melody | 12 comments I'm reading the Nigerians in Space series by Deji Bryce Olukotun, but I also recommend An Unkindness of Ghosts by Rivers Solomon.

message 15: by Therese (new)

Therese | 30 comments Kate wrote: "Science fiction is my very least favorite genre, so I'm going nonfiction here with [book:Hidden Figures: The Untold True Story of Four African-American Women Who Helped Launch Our Nation into Space..."

I read Hidden Figures recently so I can't use this one for this challenge. Like you I'm not fussy about science fiction, especially space stuff. If anyone can come up with something similar to Hidden Figures, I would appreciate it greatly.

message 16: by Gagne (new)

Gagne A Planet for Rent is a great title if you want to read some sci-fi from Cuba!

message 17: by Deb (new)

Deb Roby | 2 comments The Binti trilogy is perfect for this. Since I’ve read it, must find something else.

message 18: by Hope (new)

Hope Binti is on my list as well!

message 20: by Karin (new)

Karin (8littlepaws) | 118 comments Teresa wrote: "The Mercury 13: The True Story of Thirteen Women and the Dream of Space Flight looks similar to Hidden Figures."

This one looked interesting to me however the author does not appear to be an AOC.

message 22: by rae (new)

rae (inkwashesout) | 39 comments Brandon wrote: "Sanctuary
Ignite the Stars"

Apologies for my ignorance, but is Caryn Lix an author of color?

message 23: by Angelica (new)

Amador Angelica (lamaestragates) | 1 comments An Unkindness of Ghosts is fabulous!

message 24: by Brandon (new)

Brandon Harbeke rae wrote: "Brandon wrote: "Sanctuary
Ignite the Stars"

Apologies for my ignorance, but is Caryn Lix an author of color?"

Looking at the Amazon picture and biography, I'm going to say probably not. When the list came out, I was getting suggestions from a lot of sources, and I did not double check whether or not they fit the criteria. Ah well, I'll still put Sanctuary on my TBR and move Ignite the Stars into the challenge slot.

message 25: by Brandy (new)

Brandy B (bybrandy) | 42 comments Loved, loved, loved the Binti trilogy. Don't know what I'll read for this one but for people who haven't read the Binti books now is a good time.

message 26: by Molly (new)

Molly | 1 comments Would The Fifth Season work for this? It takes place on another planet, but I'm not sure if that counts as being in space.

message 27: by Carolina (new)

Carolina (calaqua) | 67 comments I'm thinking Warcross by Marie Lu. It's YA and been on my TBR list.

message 28: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 23 comments Brandy wrote: "Loved, loved, loved the Binti trilogy. Don't know what I'll read for this one but for people who haven't read the Binti books now is a good time."

I am going to tackle the Binti Trilogy. Another book for you to consider is Ascension.

message 29: by Lucia (new)

Lucia Kelly | 45 comments Hi there! I'm compiling lists of everyone's suggestions for the challenges in case that's easier for people (I know it is for me!) c:

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...

message 30: by Audra (new)

Audra (themonkeygirl) | 56 comments Kate wrote: "Science fiction is my very least favorite genre, so I'm going nonfiction here with [book:Hidden Figures: The Untold True Story of Four African-American Women Who Helped Launch Our Nation into Space..."

I like this idea and I actually have the Hidden Figures one in my house.

message 31: by Kate (new)

Kate | 116 comments Therese wrote: "Kate wrote: "Science fiction is my very least favorite genre, so I'm going nonfiction here with [book:Hidden Figures: The Untold True Story of Four African-American Women Who Helped Launch Our Nati..."

Try Neil DeGrasse Tyson, Leland Melvin or Michiu Kaku. I thought at first the category required that a woman of color be the author, but author of color does make this one slightly easier!

message 32: by Marie (new)

Marie (marier) | 131 comments Molly wrote: "Would The Fifth Season work for this? It takes place on another planet, but I'm not sure if that counts as being in space."

I think The Fifth Season is set on Earth in the future - it's called "The Broken Earth trilogy." But it starts to become about space, starting with the end of the first book. If you're willing to read the whole trilogy, the last book counts as a book by a woman and AOC that won a literary award in 2018.

message 33: by Julie (new)

Julie (chinacatsun76) | 11 comments Marie wrote: "Molly wrote: "Would The Fifth Season work for this? It takes place on another planet, but I'm not sure if that counts as being in space."

I think The Fifth Season is set on Earth i..."

The Fifth Season is definitely not space... I looked at her other series as well and none seem to fit. :(

message 34: by Julie (new)

Julie (chinacatsun76) | 11 comments Using this as the kick I need to finally read Astrophysics for People in a Hurry. :)

message 35: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (madelinewagner) | 29 comments Kate wrote: "Therese wrote: "Kate wrote: "Science fiction is my very least favorite genre, so I'm going nonfiction here with [book:Hidden Figures: The Untold True Story of Four African-American Women Who Helped..."

Thanks for the heads up about Michio Kaku...I wanted to read nonfiction but was hitting a dead end since I don't want to read any Neil Degrasse Tyson.

message 36: by Marie (new)

Marie (marier) | 131 comments Julie wrote: The Fifth Season is definitely not space... I looked at her other series as well and none seem to fit. :(

Without spoiling anything, I think the third book in the trilogy will have a lot more to do with space, although it's unlikely it will be set in space. But I can understand that the third book in a trilogy is not practical for a reading challenge. :)

message 37: by Kim (new)

Kim (thekimann) | 1 comments Vanessa wrote: "Dawn is set in space, and the start of an interesting series."

I finished up Butler's trilogy that starts with Dawn and it is a wild ride. It's so much different than anything I've ever read and I can't recommend it highly enough.

message 38: by Jessica (last edited Jan 04, 2019 07:59PM) (new)

Jessica Samuelson | 21 comments Can anyone confirm whether or not Toxic by Lydia Kang takes place in space? The description mentions a "bioship" which sounds like a spaceship to me, but I'm not sure.

message 39: by Anya (new)

Anya Leonard (anyakins) | 1 comments Elvira wrote: "I think I'll read The Three-Body Problem"

does this count? it's on my tbr list

message 40: by Tara (new)

Tara (tarars) | 4 comments I have already read Binti. So, my entry will be Binti: Home.

message 41: by ProfBen10 (new)

ProfBen10 | 50 comments I am going to read Ninefox Gambit.

message 42: by Inez (new)

Inez | 16 comments Judith wrote: "I'm hoping Dr Maggie Aderin-Pocock has written something factual. Preferably aimed at children, as that's probably my level where astronomy is concerned!

I read "Binti" last year and didn't like i..."

I'm going to read her moon book too.

message 43: by Jen (new)

Jen Ifer's Inklings (only4lightn) | 6 comments Carolina wrote: "I'm thinking Warcross by Marie Lu. It's YA and been on my TBR list."

Warcross is not set in space.

message 44: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Earley (srearley) | 4 comments Ignite the Stars by Maura Milan looks good. It was in today’s Book Riot featured deal email, ebook is just $0.99 right now.

message 45: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Stoolfire | 38 comments Binti by Nnedi Okorafor - I've loved what I've read by the author so far and I can't wait to read more from her in the future.

message 46: by Brandon (new)

Brandon Harbeke I'm at page 75 or so of Ignite the Stars. It feels very average. I am curious what the bigger threat to the Commonwealth/universe is, so I'm not dropping it.

message 47: by Sherri (new)

Sherri Harris | 138 comments Just finished Biniti

message 48: by Ellen (new)

Ellen Gleason (archivistreader) | 3 comments As most other people I'm reading Binti if you have access to Hoopla the audiobook is a short 2 and a half hours

message 49: by Book Riot (new)

Book Riot Community (book_riot) | 430 comments Mod
Hey everyone! Our post with a list of recommendations for this task is now up: https://bookriot.com/2019/01/17/read-...

message 50: by Julie (new)

Julie | 1 comments Lucia wrote: "Hi there! I'm compiling lists of everyone's suggestions for the challenges in case that's easier for people (I know it is for me!) c:

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1......"

Thank you so much!! I appreciate that you did this!

« previous 1