ReMo - The Official Read More Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives - 2019 > What are you currently reading?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 74 (74 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (bookwormhannah) | 181 comments Mod
Share what books you're reading this month here!

Since this is an all-ages group, we ask that if the book includes sex or heavy swearing, you would kindly refrain from using the "add book/author" link and linking directly to the book; instead, you may simply name the book/author in the text of your comment.

message 2: by Anna (new)

Anna | 61 comments I am currently reading Lisa Wingate's Tending Roses. It's breaking my heart, as I see myself in her "Grandma Rose" character. This book is about aging and looking back at what's important and trying to pass that wisdom on to younger members of the family.

message 3: by Hannah (new)

I’ve been meaning to read Lisa Wingate for two years now! Perhaps I’ll start in January. :)

message 4: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) Prayer Box and Story Keeper are my favorites of Mrs. Wingate's books so far.

message 5: by Anna (new)

Anna | 61 comments Hannah wrote: "I’ve been meaning to read Lisa Wingate for two years now! Perhaps I’ll start in January. :)"

You won't be sorry. I love her books.

message 6: by Anna (new)

Anna | 61 comments Andrea wrote: "Prayer Box and Story Keeper are my favorites of Mrs. Wingate's books so far."

I loved Prayer Box. It was my first by this author; a great introduction. Another of my favorites of hers is Before We Were Yours.

message 7: by R.A. (new)

R.A. | 23 comments I just finished Forever Christmas and it was amazing! You should check it out! :)

I'm going to start Baby, It's Cold Outside in a moment! :)

message 8: by Anna (new)

Anna | 61 comments R.A. wrote: "I just finished Forever Christmas and it was amazing! You should check it out! :)

I'm going to start Baby, It's Cold Outside in a moment! :)"

Both of those sound good! Do you like to read seasonal books?

message 9: by R.A. (new)

R.A. | 23 comments Anna wrote: "R.A. wrote: "I just finished Forever Christmas and it was amazing! You should check it out! :)

I'm going to start Baby, It's Cold Outside in a moment! :)"

Both of ..."

YES!! Christmas ones always get me in the Christmas mood! :)

message 10: by Hannah (new)

I’m in the Christmas spirit over here with A Prairie Christmas Collection. :)

message 11: by Anna (new)

Anna | 61 comments Hannah wrote: "I’m in the Christmas spirit over here with A Prairie Christmas Collection. :)"

Ooo, that looks good!

message 12: by Hannah (new)

It is. It’s one of the better story collections I’ve read.

message 13: by Hannah (new)

(Somehow I’m getting the feeling we will all be adding to our shelves because of stuff in this thread.)

message 14: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) Anna, Prayer Box was my intro to Mrs. Wingate too! :) High five for twinsies!

message 15: by Kellyn (new)

Kellyn Roth (kellynrothauthor) | 18 comments Mod
I just started The Sky Above Us by Sarah Sundin ... so good!

message 16: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (victoriagggg) | 39 comments just finishing up Holding The Fort by Regina Jennings!

message 17: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) Currently reading:
Tide and Tempest (Edge of Freedom, #3) by Elizabeth Ludwig Hidden Among the Stars by Melanie Dobson The Complete Tales by Beatrix Potter

message 18: by Hannah (new)

Currently reading:
With This Pledge (Carnton, #1) by Tamera Alexander Code of Valor (Blue Justice #3) by Lynette Eason The Bride's Prerogative Fergus, Idaho, Becomes Home to Three Mysteries Ending in Romances (Ladies' Shooting Club) by Susan Page Davis Holiday Amnesia (Wrangler’s Corner #7) by Lynette Eason

message 19: by Hanna (new)

Hanna | 41 comments I'm currently reading Don Quixote and 'We Made Our Own Fun!' 'We Made Our Own Fun!' by Bettina Miller . If I'm bad, I'll start another pleasure read. ;)

message 20: by Hannah (new)

Don Quixote will keep you busy for awhile!

message 21: by R.A. (new)

R.A. | 23 comments I'm currently reading There Was Always Laughter In Our House by Sarah Holman and When Hope Blossoms by Kim Vogel Sawyer and they're both so good! :D

message 22: by Hanna (new)

Hanna | 41 comments Hannah wrote: "Don Quixote will keep you busy for awhile!"

It sure will, but I'm hoping to finish it by the 20th, and have almost two weeks to read more books before January's over.

message 23: by Andrea (last edited Jan 02, 2019 04:10PM) (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) Hannah wrote: "Currently reading:
With This Pledge (Carnton, #1) by Tamera AlexanderCode of Valor (Blue Justice #3) by Lynette Eason"

You're reading two different Eason books at the same time?! I'm completely impressed. I can read multiple books at once, but not if they're by the same author (especially if they're in the same era).

message 24: by Hannah (new)

Well...Tennessee vs. South Carolina, and both series with established characters in the forefront. That makes it much easier.

message 25: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) Ah. Still, I'm impressed. ;)

message 26: by Faith (new)

Faith (faithpotts) | 23 comments Currently reading Christmas at Carnton by Tamera Alexander. Recommended by our Hannah, I believe! :)

message 27: by Hannah (new)

Yep! And the prequel to the one I’m reading. :)

message 28: by Anna (new)

Anna | 61 comments I'm deep into Ties that Bind by Cindy Woodsmall. It's definitely keeping me interested. A very different type of Amish book - two babies are switched at birth, but one grows up Amish, the other Englisch. When they are 20, the circumstance comes to light.

message 29: by R.A. (new)

R.A. | 23 comments Anna wrote: "I'm deep into Ties that Bind by Cindy Woodsmall. It's definitely keeping me interested. A very different type of Amish book - two babies are switched at birth, but one grows up Amish, the other Eng..."

Ohh, sounds like a neat read!

message 30: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (victoriagggg) | 39 comments starting a few more books today including, A Bound Heart by Laura Frantz, Tried and True by Regina Jennings and I Dared To Call Him Father!

message 31: by Sarita (new)

Sarita | 33 comments Currently reading The Innkeeper of Ivy Hill (Tales from Ivy Hill, #1) by Julie Klassen The Coffee Club Mysteries 6 Whodunits Are Brewing in Small-Town Kansas by Darlene Franklin Daring to Hope Finding God's Goodness in the Broken and the Beautiful by Katie Davis Majors

message 32: by Hannah (new)

I just finished A Bride in Store (Unexpected Brides, #2) by Melissa Jagears and really enjoyed it.

message 33: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) Finished: Code of Valor (Blue Justice #3) by Lynette Eason

Currently reading: Tide and Tempest (Edge of Freedom, #3) by Elizabeth Ludwig Who I Am with You (Legacy of Faith #1) by Robin Lee Hatcher The Complete Tales by Beatrix Potter

message 34: by Amanda (new)

Amanda G. Stevens (amandagstevens) | 21 comments So far in 2019 I have read: Through the Looking-Glass and What Alice Found There (Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, #2) by Lewis Carroll Whose Body? (Lord Peter Wimsey, #1) by Dorothy L. Sayers

For me Alice's adventures are just a little too trippy. Three stars.
I loved my first Dorothy L. Sayers read! Four very strong stars and I really want to continue the Lord Peter Wimsey mysteries ASAP.

Currently reading: The World's Last Night And Other Essays by C.S. Lewis Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens

message 35: by Jane (new)

Jane | 20 comments Hah! Alice has always been a bit too trippy for me, as well!! I've got some Dorothy L. Sayers on my kindle and look forward to reading them someday; is the language squeaky clean or are there occasional expletives as I've heard Agatha Christie books can sometimes have (I have to confess I've watched all the BBC productions but never read any of the books!!)?

message 36: by Amanda (new)

Amanda G. Stevens (amandagstevens) | 21 comments Jane wrote: "I've got some Dorothy L. Sayers on my kindle and look forward to reading them someday; is the language squeaky clean or are there occas..."

I'm not the best person to ask about language since I read mostly general market and don't always notice it. I can't promise zero profanity, but I can tell you if there is any, it was very infrequent and nothing worse than d*** or h*** (if even those; there really might not be any).

message 37: by Jane (new)

Jane | 20 comments Amanda wrote: "Jane wrote: "I've got some Dorothy L. Sayers on my kindle and look forward to reading them someday; is the language squeaky clean or are there occas..."

I'm not the best person to ask about langua..."

Thanks, Amanda. I'm okay with a little bit, so long as it's not trashy. I love "clean" Regency era romances and just finished a re-read of a secular, Georgette Heyer book (The Toll-Gate). If you'd asked me before I began this fourth reading, I would have said it was completely clean. But, oops!, I was wrong and there were a few of the same words you referenced above that I had never noticed the first three times I read it!! I get engrossed in the wit and sparkle of her writing and fly right past the occasional not-so-polite word!

message 38: by Amanda (new)

Amanda G. Stevens (amandagstevens) | 21 comments Jane wrote: "Amanda wrote: "Jane wrote: ..."

Oh, definitely not trashy at all. :-) It's a murder mystery, so it had some darkness to it.

message 39: by Hannah (last edited Jan 06, 2019 07:05PM) (new)

I’ve read one Sayers and I think it had a bit of God’s name in vain, but that’s all, other than a rather gruesome murder. Looks like I have it 4 stars like Amanda did. :)

message 40: by Jane (new)

Jane | 20 comments Oh no, Hannah, you know I can’t do anything too gruesome! Btw, I think you would like The Toll-Gate, it’s more adventure than romance, the only down side is God’s name is used for an exclamation instead of for praise.

message 41: by Amanda (new)

Amanda G. Stevens (amandagstevens) | 21 comments Hannah wrote: "...a rather gruesome murder. Looks like I have it 4 stars like Amanda did. :)"

I will second that. The methods of the killer are a bit grisly. But it's all described tastefully; your imagination does the work. So I guess "how gruesome is too gruesome" would depend on personal taste in this case. It didn't faze me, but I'm mostly un-faze-able. ;)

Hannah, since you have also read it: I thought the killer's psychological theories in that time period were fascinating. And I loved Lord Peter's defense mechanism of "joking in the dentist's chair" and the gradual way Sayers revealed layers of him until we saw into his true heart.

message 42: by Amanda (new)

Amanda G. Stevens (amandagstevens) | 21 comments Just finished and loved: The World's Last Night And Other Essays by C.S. Lewis Blue Willow by Doris Gates

Five stars to the first (I absolutely loved the essay "Religion and Rocketry" especially, but the whole collection is lovely) and four stars to the second (excellent Newbery Honor book!).

message 43: by Anna (new)

Anna | 61 comments Amanda, I loved Blue Willow as a child. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

message 44: by Amanda (new)

Amanda G. Stevens (amandagstevens) | 21 comments Anna wrote: "Amanda, I loved Blue Willow as a child. I'm glad you enjoyed it!"

I missed a lot of Newbery Winner/Honor books as a kid and I'm trying to catch up now. They make great January books too, to trim the TBR shelf. :)

message 45: by Anna (new)

Anna | 61 comments I am struggling to read Irresistible Irresistible: The Rise of Addictive Technology and the Business of Keeping Us Hooked, despite the fact that I am fascinated by the subject matter. Not sure what it is, but I think at least part of the struggle is due to a shorter attention span from always getting information in sound bites or blurbs, rather than requiring more concentrated efforts. I feel distractible, thereby I think proving some of his points. I need some accountability, because this one has to go back to the library soon. It has 12 chapters so I am going to try to read at least 3 - 4 a day for the next few days. Someone ask how it is going, OK?

message 46: by Joleen (new)

Joleen Andrea wrote: "Prayer Box and Story Keeper are my favorites of Mrs. Wingate's books so far."
The Melungeon people mentioned in The Story Keeper are actually from the area I now live. I saw a woman today I'm certain is Melungeon. Very unique features. Because I’d never heard of them before this book, I wasn’t sure if they were fictional for the sake of the story. But on researching them I find they are not only a very real people, but are more integrated into society than they were in the 19th and early 20th centuries.

message 47: by Joleen (new)

Joleen Currently reading: Words by Ginny L. Yttrup

message 48: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) Joleen wrote: "The Melungeon people mentioned in The Story Keeper are actually from the area I now live. I saw a woman today I'm certain is Melungeon. Very unique features. Because I’d never heard of them before this book, I wasn’t sure if they were fictional for the sake of the story. But on researching them I find they are not only a very real people, but are more integrated into society than they were in the 19th and early 20th centuries."

That's very fascinating, Joleen. Thanks for sharing! I need to reread that book... but I don't yet have time.

message 49: by Amanda (new)

Amanda G. Stevens (amandagstevens) | 21 comments Anna wrote: "I am struggling to read Irresistible Irresistible: The Rise of Addictive Technology and the Business of Keeping Us Hooked, despite the fact that I am fascinated by the subject matter..."

That does sound fascinating, maybe because I already agree with his premise. I hope you're making good progress on it today! :)

message 50: by Amanda (new)

Amanda G. Stevens (amandagstevens) | 21 comments Okay, guys, it looks like I'm just going to try plowing through as many Newberys as possible in January. Currently reading: Lily's Crossing by Patricia Reilly Giff

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.