Start by marking “Ladies of Intrigue: 3 Tales of 19th-Century Romance with a Dash of Mystery” as Want to Read:
Ladies of Intrigue: 3 Tales of 19th-Century Romance with a Dash of Mystery

Ladies of Intrigue: 3 Tales of 19th-Century Romance with a Dash of Mystery

The Gentleman Smuggler's Kady is in The Regency Brides Collection: 7 Romances Set in England during the Early Nineteenth Century
The Doctor's Woman is in The Courageous Brides Collection
A House of Secrets is in Of Rags and Riches Romance Collection

3 Page-Turners Under One Cover from Reader Favorite Michelle Griep!
Can truth and love prevail when no one is as they appear?

T
Published February 1st 2019 by Barbour Books

To ask other readers questions about Ladies of Intrigue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ladies of Intrigue

Start your review of Ladies of Intrigue: 3 Tales of 19th-Century Romance with a Dash of Mystery
Deanne Patterson
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Three tales of intrigue set in the 19th-century that have romance with a bit of mystique thrown in.
This is one of my all time favorite authors right here. I love the mystery in her books and the words just flow, no slow or awkward parts. I read this in less than a day. I just couldn't stop reading. I had to see how the twists and turns were resolved. The cover is very eye catching as well!
Published February 1st 2019 by Barbour Books
I was given a complimentary copy of this book through NetGalley.
Marlene
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
"If one cannot trust in God's provision, then perhaps one has no business professing a faith at all."

Ladies of Intrigue: Tales of 19th-Century Romance with a Dash of Mystery (2019, Barbour) by Michelle Griep is a collection
of three historical standalone Christian romances. Griep is one of my favorite authors, so I didn't pass up the opportunity to read this collection. However, I was surprised when I realized that I had previously read the first story. So I checked my GoodReads friends' reviews
Dana Michael
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Three great reads in one book. Each story can be read in one sitting. Sweet romances with suspense that left a satisfying happily ever after.
*I was given a copy of this book by Barbour publishing. I was not under any obligation to leave a review. This is my honest opinion.
Julie Carpenter
Overall 4.5 *

I love Michelle Griep's writing style. She's a favorite go to author for me. Whenever I see that she has a new story for me to read and enjoy, I jump on the chance to read it! This is a collection of three of her novellas that were included in three different anthologies. I actually had read one of the anthologies but not the other two. So let me just say I was pretty excited with the chance to have the other two that I had missed put into a collection of just Michelle Griep's. Wooh
Lucinda
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great compilation of 19th century novellas with compelling characters and great settings. These were previously published in multi-author anthologies.

The Gentleman Smuggler's Lady
What a delightful little story! I'm utterly convinced Michelle Griep can't write a bad story.
For being short, it sure packed a punch. The main characters are strong: Helen and Isaac don't meet under the best circumstances, and he doesn't leave a good impression on her. But then Helen finds out he's the landowner ove
Jen. (JenGalaxy4 Christian Book Reviews)
Ladies of Intrigue is a collection of three novellas by award-winning author Michelle Griep. Each novella has been published in previous Barbour collections and are now repackaged under a pretty, new cover!

Included in this collection:
The Doctor’s Woman
House of Secrets

Michelle Griep has a beautiful way with words! This collection was nice introduction to her style!

Ladies of Intrigue is available now!

I received a complimentary copy of this book from Barbour Publishing
Melissa
Mar 12, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a set of three short stories. The first was an ok story but it felt like a different version of the series Poldark. It was too similar and I was not interested. It was written ok but I was so put off by the similarities. The second story was well done and I enjoyed it. It had a clear beginning, end and the plot was done well. The last story felt like you were reading the end of a long book. It was so odd. I felt like I missed so much and started at the end of a book. It was a good story ...more
Melissa
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reads-2019
Ladies of Intrigue is an excellent collection of stories by Michelle Griep. I thoroughly enjoyed these three stories with mystery, danger and romance all rolled into one. It is a quick an easy read as each story is 90 or so pages and with great characters and intriguing plots, the book is hard to put down once you start it(at least it was for me!). These stories aren’t brand new as each was published before in previous Barbour novella collections but they were new to me and I loved each one of t ...more
Susan
Michelle Griep has penned three engaging novellas in Ladies of Intrigue: 3 Tales of 19th Century Romance with a Dash of Mystery. These are all previously published novellas that have been compiled in one collection. In the last year or so, Ms. Griep has become one of my favorite authors, so I was thrilled to read some of her earlier work. In my humble opinion, it is more difficult for an author to excel at world building and character development in the shorter length stories, but I find that Mi ...more
Sarita
Feb 09, 2019 rated it liked it
I discovered Michelle Griep in 2018 and since then found that I enjoy her stories. She has a unique entertaining way of bringing characters to life and her characters are unique and interesting.

This was the same with this set of novellas. Each novella brought interesting characters, some mysterious event and a sweet love story. The three female characters were quite independent, feisty characters who found themselves in interesting situations where they needed a dashing hero. The plot of each no
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
Michelle Griep is one of my favorite authors. I love the way she weaves words together that draw me in so quickly and make me feel like part of the story. Each of these stories are novella length but felt well developed and full. I loved them all but I think that The Gentleman Smuggler's Lady might be my favorite. Helen and Issac's first meet was fantastic. It makes me smile just thinking about it.

You honestly cannot go wrong with this book. Read them all at once, or one at a time. Either way yo
Bess
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: borrowed
3 stories in 1.
Loved the first story. It was cute and super fun!
The second story was sassy. The characters were cute and the banter back and forth was amazing!
The third story was interesting. I restarted that one a couple times because I wasn't sure I was following the storyline. The heroine was juvenile but came to the realization, that was nice.
Overall, it was very worth the read! Most fun I've had from Ms. Griep's books that I've read thus far (only 3)!!
I highly recommend this to everyone!
I
Karen R
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful collection of well written novellas! Some of my all time favorites from previously published collections, gathered into their own book. I loved revisiting Regency era Cornwall, an army outpost in Civil War era Dakota territory, and 1890's St. Paul, Minnesota. Great characters, some action and adventure, and a romance in each one with some sighworthy moments. "I love you more than life and air." Oh my. Major sigh.

These all have a bit of faith inserted into the plot, worked naturally
Loraine
This book contains three well written novellas: The Gentleman Smuggler's Lady, The Doctor's Woman, and A House of Secrets. Although short each feels complete with good plot lines and characters that are well developed.

Filled with mystery and romance, each had a realistic hero and heroine. Sometimes at cross purposes, they still were intent on reaching the same goal. Each is a quick, enjoyable read that can be read in one sitting for most readers.

My favorite was The Doctor's Woman. Although Emm
Mary
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Let’s take a journey through the nineteenth century with this collection of tales each with a hint of intrigue. Three settings, three heroines, and their three equally captivating counterparts make for a delightful read.

The Gentleman Smuggler’s Lady
1815. Cornwall. Helen Fletcher, a young governess, returns from Ireland to Cornwall only to find herself spirited away from the ship by a mysterious smuggler. When the mysterious smuggler turns up again, will Helen be able to figure out exactly what
Lynda Edwards
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: keeper-shelf
Michelle Griep has quickly risen to the top of my list of favorite authors. Her stories are romantic, intense, and quickly transport me far away from the mundane. This collection of novellas is no exception, proving that whatever time period or location she’s writing about, or even how long the story is, it will surely be outstanding.

The Gentleman Smuggler’s Lady

There is so much packed into this novella that I’m not even sure where to start. The swoony hero, the tenacious heroine who pretends
Annette
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-read-2019
Three stories with mystery and romance! My two favorite things! I enjoyed all the stories but think the first one was my favorite! A fast quick read! Thanks for the early copy!
Yvette
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beyond the historical romance and dash of mystery promised in the subtitle, the three novellas collected in Ladies of Intrigue share one vital thing in common: Michelle Griep’s stellar, immersive storytelling.

The Gentleman Smuggler’s Lady is set on the Cornish Coast and is perfect for fans of English Regencies involving smugglers and thieves. While I had previously read and enjoyed The Doctor’s Woman, it did not stop me from reading it anew and relishing this story of opposites set in the Americ
Megan
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
“Ladies of Intrigue: 3 Tales of 19th-Century Romance with a Dash of Mystery” by Michelle Griep has been a much anticipated read for me as I love Ms. Grieps’ books! This particular book is a collection of three of her novellas. Each novella can be read as a standalone, but you might as well read them all since each one is amazing!

The Gentleman Smuggler’s Lady

Fans of “Poldark” will swoon over this novella that takes place on the Cornish Coast and deals with smuggling. I love the main character, He
Kav
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An alluring collection of previously published novellas. I hadn't read any of them before so I was in seventh heaven. These heroes and their heroines kept me in fits of swoons and toe-curls. High-spirited women who are the perfect match for their adventuring men. Lots of clashing wills and sparks flying! Sheer delight! And the joy of witty banter made me giddy. Have to confess that The Gentleman Smuggler's Lady is my favourite of the three stories because...well...Regency! Smugglers on the Corni ...more
Carole Jarvis
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Reviewed at The Power of Words: https://bit.ly/2U48DKX

Whether through full-length novel or shorter novella format, Michelle Griep consistently delivers a highly entertaining read. All three stories in Ladies of Intrigue, previously published in other collections, are now easily enjoyed under one cover – also perfect for new readers. Although I try not to miss any of Griep’s writing, all three stories were new to me.

From England’s ruggedly beautiful Cornwall coast in 1815, to the Dakota Territori
Emily Yager
Three well written novellas filled with mystery and each wrapped up in a different historical timeframe. An excellent read that is hard to put down once you start.

I received an ARC copy from the publisher via netgalley. A review was not required, but appreciated.
Martha
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These are lovely - I really like this author. My rating for all three 4.75.

The Gentleman Smuggler’s Lady
Helen is a Pastor’s daughter who has traveled to help her ill father. As she arrives in his community she is kidnapped by a local smuggler. Inadvertently she sees the face of the man who saves her. She is soon surprised to find out his identity. She has a dilemma as she is reluctant to turn in the man who has saved her and cared for her father so caringly.

Isaac has bent his own rules in the na
Rosanne Lortz
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was a lifesaver for me. I have been staying up way too late every night of our three-week Christmas break because it's impossible to go to sleep before finishing my book of the day. (Once you pop, you can't stop, if you know what I mean...) But this book is actually three books, a collection of three novellas all set in the 19th century. Disconnected novellas. Novellas that can be read separately. I thoroughly enjoyed each one over the course of three days and was able to go to sleep b ...more
Kristina
Ladies of Intrigue by Michelle Griep contains three 19th century romance novellas. The Gentleman Smuggler’s Lady takes us to the Cornish Coast in 1815. Helen Fletcher is rushing to Cornwall from Ireland to be by her ill father’s side. As Helen is preparing to depart the ship, a band of renegades’ attack and liberate a shipment of gunpowder. When Helen meets her father’s patron, Isaac Seaton, she is shocked when she is recognizes him as one of the smugglers. Seaton likes Helen’s fiery spirit, but ...more
Monique
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ladies of Intrigue is a book with three short stories by Michelle Griep. I actually am very fond of short stories, they are my favorite because they are fast paced and usually have a unique premiss, so I was very happy to receive an e-arc from Netgalley! And there is some serious cover envy going on. That blue is spectacular! Anyway, let’s get to the main feature: the words itself ;)

The Gentleman Smuggler starts of with a bang, where our two protagonists meet at opposite ends of a robbery. Thou
Sheri
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Michelle Griep is a new author for me and this book is also a new genre. I've been doing my best to keep an open mind to all genres and so far I have not been disappointed.
This book contains three novellas that were previously published but work very well together in this collection. I'm a huge fan of novellas because they are a quick read and I can fit an entire story in during one sitting.
The stories are faith based and cover time periods in the 1800's. I enjoyed the historical context of th
Maureen Timerman
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Three different stories by the same author, with each being a third of the book, and each quickly drawing you in.
Whether we are in old England, the city of St. Paul or in a U.S. Military Fort, we are offered a story that includes a strong woman as the main character.
Of course, you can sit down and read one, and they save the next for later, but like the candy it is hard not to turn the next page.

I received this book through Net Galley and the Publisher Barbour and was not required to give a posi
Crystal
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
This collection of novellas has something for everyone!

The Gentleman Smuggler's Lady was a fun story for me! Isaac and Helen seem so opposite, yet make the perfect match. Although they go from "hello" to "I love you" in sixty seconds flat, their chemistry is catching. A hero who is super protective of his lady always warms my heart, and Isaac definitely excels in this area!

The Doctor's Woman was my least favorite of the three. There wasn't much action and the romance was flat in my opinion. It i
Brandi
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Three delightful stories from a very talented writer. The first story was probably my favorite, followed by the third. In the third story, Craven and Lillian are the kind of people you'd like to walk up to with a fly swatter (pop 'em a few times while complaining about imaginary flies), but I'll admit I wanted to pop Amanda with one a time or two, but that makes her more believably human, doesn't it?
The second story was a wee bit more predictable, but still fun. I like the heroine (whose name I

• The Alamo Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower, #7)
  • The White City (True Colors)
  • The Golden Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower, #8)
  • Shadow Among Sheaves
  • The Liberty Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower, #6)
  • Midnight on the River Grey
  • The Express Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower, #9)
  • The Pink Bonnet
  • In the Shadow of Croft Towers
  • The Inn at Hidden Run (Tree of Life #1)
  • The Yellow Lantern
  • The Governess of Penwythe Hall (Cornwall, #1)
  • My Heart Belongs in the Blue Ridge: Laurel's Dream
  • Finding Lady Enderly
  • The Blizzard Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower, #11)
  • A Portrait of Loyalty (The Codebreakers, #3)
  • Convergence
  • The Rebel Bride (Daughter of the Mayflower, #10)
I hear voices. Loud. Incessant. And very real. Which basically gives me two options: choke back massive amounts of Prozac or write fiction. I chose the latter. Way cheaper. I've been writing since I discovered blank wall space and Crayolas. I seek to glorify God in all that I write...except for that graffiti phase I went through as a teenager. Oops. Did I say that out loud?