75 Books...More or Less! discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2016-2022 Chat > End Strong, Start Strong End of the Year Readathon! Dec 21, 2018 - Jan 6, 2019

Comments Showing 1-50 of 131 (131 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 7660 comments Mod
We are going all out to end 2018 and we are going to start off 2019 with a bang! End Strong, Start Strong End of the Year Readathon from December 21, 2018 to January 6, 2019! That's 16 days of reading! In between family events, of course.

How many books do you have left to meet your GR goal (if you haven't already met it)?

Have you modified it at all this year?

What's your goal for 2019?

Any other personal reading goals besides the GR Challenge?

Do you consciously pick a book for your first read of the new year or is it whatever comes up next in your TBR?

message 2: by Elyse, Moderator (last edited Jan 07, 2019 05:36AM) (new)

How many books do you have left to meet your GR goal (if you haven't already met it)?
8. Currently reading 4. And I have 12 left on my To Read Soon shelf:
The Alienist (audio)
Brazen: Rebel Ladies Who Rocked the World
A Dangerous Collaboration
Once Upon a River
The Goblin Emperor (audio)
Clockworks
Alpha & Omega
Locke & Key: Heaven and Earth
Blue Hydrangeas
What Child Is This

(if there's time) (there will not be time!)
Nyxia Unleashed (NetGalley)
Watching You (NetGalley)
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The Original Screenplay
Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald - The Original Screenplay
Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald - Makers, Mysteries and Magic (audio)
Harry Potter: A History of Magic (audio)

The Cruel Prince
The Lost Sisters
The Hazel Wood (audio)
An Anonymous Girl
The Ripper's Shadow (audio)

A Map of Days (library)
The Red Fox Clan (library)

Yes. Started at 150, then 200, 250, 275, and my final answer is 300. lol. Before 2018, 204 was my best year!

I think I'm going big, why not? 300!

My ABC challenges will primarily consist of NetGalley ARCs. I *need* to clean them out! And I want to read more of my physical books, do better on reading my shelves.

Do you consciously pick a book for your first read of the new year or is it whatever comes up next in your TBR?
I don't usually make a big deal out of my first read of the year. This year it was Lincoln in the Bardo and I hated it. lol

message 3: by ❤Marie (new)

❤Marie Gentilcore (rachelx) | 99 comments This is my favorite group on Goodreads. You all keep me motivated. I don't post a lot but I do read others posts and I try to do as many of the challenges as I can. My favorite challenge is the ABC Titles and I also love the readathons.

How many books do you have left to meet your GR goal (if you haven't already met it)? I have passed my goal. I started with 75 because I wanted to read a bunch of really long books but I only did a few long ones so I ended up increasing my goal up to my normal 100. I have about 7 or more books completed that I have not yet marked as "read" on GR.

Have you modified it at all this year? Yes, see above.

What's your goal for 2019? 100

Any other personal reading goals besides the GR Challenge? I would like to read more of the books that I own. My kindle is filled with books I need to read. I also need to read books on my TBR that have been there for a long time. It is just so hard. There are so many books to read but never enough time.

Do you consciously pick a book for your first read of the new year or is it whatever comes up next in your TBR? No, I haven't done that but that is a good idea. I think I will try to pick a book that is uplifting and that will start of my year in a positive way.

message 4: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1455 comments How many books do you have left to meet your GR goal (if you haven't already met it)?
As of right now, I have 6 books left. Hopefully that'll be even less by Friday.

I did. First I dropped counting picture books with my son (we read so much, it was just too chaotic). And at one point, I'd bumped my goal from 200 up to 300... but then back down to 200 as the year went on and I lost some early momentum.

I haven't decided. Not 200, that's for sure!

I'll probably do my library's challenge again. They come up with some interesting categories, with a pretty low minimum for the year (18, I think?).

Sometimes I will, but more important to me is starting the year fresh, so I don't like to have anything in progress when the calendar flips over.

message 5: by Carol (last edited Dec 17, 2018 11:37AM) (new)

Carol (carol07) | 2737 comments How many books do you have left to meet your GR goal (if you haven't already met it)? I have met my goal! Yay! So the rest of the year is going to be low pressure, fun reading.

Have you modified it at all this year? Yes, I have bumped it up a few times. I just had a "reading wild hair" I had to work out...

What's your goal for 2019? I don't know how long I can keep reading at this rate... I am going to say 275 books and hope I can keep up that rate.

Any other personal reading goals besides the GR Challenge? I was able to meet my non-fiction goal last year, but not mu read what I own. Am going to go for 15. am going for 275 total. I am going to try to read all the To Read books added in 2017 which is 87 at this point...

Do you consciously pick a book for your first read of the new year or is it whatever comes up next in your TBR? Not consciously, but this year I am starting 2019 with New Year's Eve Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #12) by Meier, Leslie

message 6: by Eldritch Reading Reindeer Welcomes 2022! (last edited Jan 07, 2019 08:30AM) (new)

Eldritch Reading Reindeer Welcomes 2022! (readingreindeerproximacentauri) | 193 comments How many books do you have left to meet your GR goal (if you haven't already met it)? met it back in July, I think. More than doubled now. Kept it low the last year or so b/c of gripes every year when I post a high goal. 2019: going to use quantity read this year and make the goal somewhere around there. Why short myself?

Not at all.

What's your goal for 2019? Prob around 700 or 750. Decided on 650.

I set up for a number of challenges this year and in one case, I don't think I read any I selected. In some others, I add books I've read to the shelves but don't actually post re the challenges. I had decided not to do any challenges in 2019 but instead I have signed up for the cat challenge and a few others, and I set up 2019 shelves for fantasy, horror, science fiction, Lovecraft & mythos, a few others.
I want to read all my 2018 BOTM books (21) and start 2019 reading as they arrive.

Absolutely not. I read what is due for review (in the case of Great Escapes book tours for cozy mysteries, and for Hidden Gems reviews), and if an author or publicist nudges me about an NG title, I'll try to speed up on it.

Dec. 29: NOW I know what my first several books of 2019 will be. These 4 are NetGalley ARC's from Flame Tree Press, 2 releasing 10 Jan and 2 releasing 14 Feb.:
The Haunting of Henderson Close
Junction
Black Wings
The Playing Card Killer.

Also in January I plan to continue my Ramsey Campbell marathon, which I started unintentionally last week, and to read John Crowley, as much as I can obtain or have.

- - - - - -
BOOKS READ IN THIS CHALLENGE:
Quaker Quicks - What Do Quakers Believe?: Everything You Always Wanted to Know about Quakerism
Fireside Chat with a Grammar Nazi Serial Killer
Santa Puppy
The House on Clark Boulevard (Thanksgiving & Christmas in a badly haunted house)
Thomas Wildus and the Book of Sorrows
Wagging through the Snow
Christmas at the Cat Cafe
The Overnight (haunted bookstore)--an absolutely stellar horror novel from the Grand Master
Ghosts Know
The Booking
The Kind Folk
The Lucifer Chord
The Lazarus Prophecy--reread, originally read in 2014

January Reads:
The Haunting of Henderson Close
Exit Reality
The Gates
Dragon Assassin: Twin Fury
Steamed Open
Cocktails: A Guide to the Most Common Cocktails and How to Easily Make Them at Home--review for publisher
Magic Morning Rituals: The Magic of a Morning Ritual for Starting your Day Productively, and Finishing it a Champion!--review for publisher
Gown with the Wind
A Literal Mess
The Infernals
Sigma Wave
Metrofloat New York

Current Reading:
Junction
The Creeps

READ: 25 Books, 2 in progress

reply | flag *

message 7: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 544 comments How many books do you have left to meet your GR goal (if you haven't already met it)?

Have completed for the first time ever the GR challenge.

yes twice

At this stage I’m going for 120 this group plus another group I was in really helped push my total along. I am sticking with this group and another Aussie crime group. I will add those challenges from that group to help push me along.

I have several that I want to try. Different genres in particular I tended to stick to reading mystery, thriller crime etc but I know I need to balance it out. I think reading challenges help you go outside the box of readers you would normally read. Also want to try to choose books and authors from different countries.

I try and get what’s on my shelves first but usually it will be what takes my fancy.

Have a merry Christmas everyone. Happy reading

message 8: by Shelby (last edited Dec 17, 2018 04:28PM) (new)

Shelby Suderman | 1752 comments How many books do you have left to meet your GR goal (if you haven't already met it)?

I have 2 more technically, but there's 3 I intend to finish before year's end.

Yes, several times. I started with 50, then 60, then 100.

I think I'm going with only 35 (down from my usual 50) because 2019 is looking pretty busy with writing, and I also intend to catch up on some TV next year. 100 isn't a feasible normal goal for me, but I wanted to make it to 100 at least once. I might increase it to 50, depending on how 2019 goes in the first while.

Every year I decide to do more rereads, but I intend to try again in 2019. I have a few personal goals I do every year: at least one classic, one Shakespeare play, one non-fiction, and five Stephen King reads.

I do that every year. I do try to clear my tbr for the new year. I already know that I'm going to reread The Cruel Prince just in time for The Wicked King.

message 9: by Stacie (last edited Dec 29, 2018 08:11PM) (new)

Stacie (stacieh) | 1790 comments How many books do you have left to meet your GR goal (if you haven't already met it)?
None! I just met my goal today (well, one of them- I'm not close enough to finish my Read Your Shelves challenge this year) :D And I have enough time to finish another book by the end of the year.

I revised my goal up, once.

I think I'm going to keep my goal the same at 85. (edit: My sister convinced me that it's not a challenge if you know you can make it, so *deep breath* I'm shooting for 100)

I am going to make a reasonable dent in my physical TBR pile next year, darn it! lol

Sometimes I'll have specific plan, but since I usually get a few books for Christmas I typically go with one of those. And I'm in the minority in that I like to start a new book on New Year's Eve and have it carry me over into the New Year.

message 10: by Lori (new)

Lori | 409 comments I'm in but with family and work I'm not sure how much reading I will get done.

I still need to read 30 books to meet my goal.

No, I stick with the initial goal

I am going to go for the same number as the past 2 years, 175.

No, I read for enjoyment.

No, whatever is at the top of the list, or next on my Netgalley review list.

message 11: by Kayla (new)

Kayla (kaylasreadsandreviews) | 233 comments I'm in!

I've already met it.

I've upped it once.

At least 100 books.

I'd like to read more physical books, and review books. I'd also like to not buy as many books, but I say that every year, and it never happens.

Whatever comes up next in my TBR is what I pick. It's usually whatever I'm in the mood to read at that current time.

message 12: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Kayla wrote: "I'd also like to not buy as many books, but I say that every year, and it never happens..."

Oh I hear you on that!!

message 13: by Kayla (new)

Kayla (kaylasreadsandreviews) | 233 comments Elyse wrote: "Kayla wrote: "I'd also like to not buy as many books, but I say that every year, and it never happens..."

Oh I hear you on that!!"

It's a goal every year, but my local library has a sale every other month where you can buy a bag full of books for $8. I typically pick up 2 bags full every time, so I really fail at it. I need to work on that. It's just too good to resist.

message 14: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Kayla wrote: "It's a goal every year, but my local library has a sale every other month where you can buy a bag full of books for $8. I typically pick up 2 bags full every time, so I really fail at it. I need to work on that. It's just too good to resist..."

Oh man that's awesome! I have 4 local(ish) libraries that have book sales twice a year. And I spend so little and come home with so much. lol. But I have been a lot better about reading and re-donating rather than keeping. Now I try to only keep (and buy) favorite authors. At least for physical books. Kindle books are another story...lol.

message 15: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 544 comments Just a query when will new 2019 folders be up and running.

message 16: by Karol (new)

Karol I'm in for this read-a-thon!

How many books do you have left to meet your GR goal (if you haven't already met it)? Six to go, three in progress!

Have you modified it at all this year? Nope.

What's your goal for 2019? Undecided.

Any other personal reading goals besides the GR Challenge? To finally read War and Peace. (Can I count that as 5 books?)

Do you consciously pick a book for your first read of the new year or is it whatever comes up next in your TBR? It would be smart to attack my TBR that way! Typically, though, I try to read 1 book from two series of the several I want to read monthly and then I kind of fill in with whatever strikes my fancy at the time.

reply | flag *

message 17: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Joanne wrote: "Just a query when will new 2019 folders be up and running."

I'll be creating them this weekend. :)

message 18: by Kayla (new)

Kayla (kaylasreadsandreviews) | 233 comments I'll pick out my TBR sometime tomorrow. I know I want to at least finish Wicked because I've been reading it for over a month. Not sure what else I want to try to finish by the end of the year.

message 19: by Drew (new)

Drew K (goodreadscomdrew_k) How many books do you have left to meet your GR goal (if you haven't already met it)?
Counting the one I finished last night, about 24 short of goal, although I always doubted I'd hit 75. 52 is my absolute minimum each year (book/week).

I have not modified the number, but I thought I'd read more of the ones I already own. But, between NetGalley, the library, amazon gift cards, I keep putting new titles on my Kindle and read those. not complaining, but the pile on my nightstand is getting a little dangerous...

75, and clear off the nightstand.

A few more non-fiction. I have enjoyed the ones I've read, I always do, but I so love a good mystery or psychological thriller to just take me away.

I usually pick the best one left of any that I received for Christmas and haven't already read. I get that week off of work so I have a lot of big blocks of reading time then.

Like Marie's comment, I really like this group! Thanks everyone.

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 504 comments I'm in!!

How many books do you have left to meet your GR goal (if you haven't already met it)? None! My goal was 100 and I'm already at 149!

Have you modified it at all this year? No, I just left it at 100. I did make a side goal to hit 100 without counting picture books, which I have also achieved already!

What's your goal for 2019? I'm gonna set it at 150.

Any other personal reading goals besides the GR Challenge? I'm gonna challenge myself to read (on average) 100 pages per day! We'll see how that goes. I've also upped my challenge to read books I already own. (I have a library problem.)

Do you consciously pick a book for your first read of the new year or is it whatever comes up next in your TBR? Not really. The main thing is I like to have a fresh start, ie. no books that I start in one year and finish in the next. But what book I pick is really just whatever I feel like.

So my goal for this read-a-thon will largely centre around finishing the couple books I have in progress right now, and then try to get through some of my library books so I don't have that pile haunting me as I start a new year!

message 21: by Karina (new)

Karina | 836 comments How many books do you have left to meet your GR goal (if you haven't already met it)?
I have met my goal! (YAY!) but I have not meant my Read What You Own (26 out of 40) nor the Alphabet challenge (Q, V, X, Y, Z) so I am really bummed (I will hit it in 2019!) My goals for the readathon will not be reading 14 books... these are the books I am reading:
The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt (I won't be finishing this, since it's 800 pages and I am going to read 100 pages, read another book and go back to it which is what I am doing now and I need to finish it by January 11 for book club!)
The Friend by Sigred Nunez (part of the Buzzfeed Bookclub)
The Other Woman by Sandie Jones
All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
One Day in December by Josie Silver (Reese Witherspoon's Dec Book Club pick)

Nope

I am going to stick to 75

I am going to try and tackle Bleak House and Vilette this year and tackle one of my book shelves. I really need to read my books!

It depends! I have a stack of books to read next to my nightstand so it usually is whatever is next!

message 22: by Kayla (last edited Dec 21, 2018 12:52PM) (new)

Kayla (kaylasreadsandreviews) | 233 comments I don't know if I'll read all of these books, but I hope to read quite a few. Here's my TBR:
Oliver The Cat Who Saved Christmas by Sheila Norton , The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate , Hello, Goodbye, and Everything in Between by Jennifer E. Smith , Honored Enemy (Legends of the Riftwar, #1) by Raymond E. Feist , Jimmy the Hand (Legends of the Riftwar, #3) by Raymond E. Feist , Murder In LaMut (Legends of the Riftwar, #2) by Raymond E. Feist , Sloppy Firsts (Jessica Darling, #1) by Megan McCafferty , Less by Andrew Sean Greer , This. A Vampire Cure for Forever by Shaun Roundy , Verity by Colleen Hoover , Queen of Air and Darkness (The Dark Artifices, #3) by Cassandra Clare , Bat and the Waiting Game (A Boy Called Bat, #2) by Elana K. Arnold , Wundersmith The Calling of Morrigan Crow (Nevermoor, #2) by Jessica Townsend , Kiss the Girl (The Naughty Princess Club, #3) by Tara Sivec , Just My Luck by Cammie McGovern

If by some miracle I manage to finish all of these, I'll probably try to read off of my physical book TBR.

12/21: finished Just My Luck by Cammie McGovern (120 pages)
12/22:
12/23:
12/24:
12/25:
12:26:
12:27:
12/28:
12:29:
12/30:
12/31:
1/1:
1/2:
1/3:
1/4:
1/5:
1/6:

Pages Read: 120

Books Finished: Just My Luck by Cammie McGovern

message 23: by Shelby (new)

Shelby Suderman | 1752 comments Hoping to finish The Afterlife of Holly Chase by Cynthia Hand today or tomorrow, which will leave The Lady's Guide to Petticoats and Piracy (Montague Siblings, #2) by Mackenzi Lee and A Reaper at the Gates (An Ember in the Ashes, #3) by Sabaa Tahir for the end of the year.

message 24: by Elyse, Moderator (last edited Dec 20, 2018 12:48PM) (new)

My immediate goals are to finish the books I'm currently reading! I don't think I'll finish any of them tonight.

The Alienist (Dr. Laszlo Kreizler, #1) by Caleb Carr Brazen Rebel Ladies Who Rocked the World by Pénélope Bagieu A Dangerous Collaboration (Veronica Speedwell #4) by Deanna Raybourn Once Upon a River by Diane Setterfield
(audio)(library)(ARC) (ARC)

message 25: by Karina (new)

Karina | 836 comments My immediate goals are to finish these three books first:
The Friend (I think I can finish this today)
All the Light We Cannot See
The Other Woman

message 26: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1455 comments I managed to finish one more book this week, so I need five more to reach my goal. I have two in progress:
Year of Wonder: Classical Music for Every Day
On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft [audio]

I have three novels out from the library:
Our Lady of the Ice
The Music Shop
All Systems Red
(I will definitely not be reading all of these, but I might choose one.)

And four comics:
The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Vol. 8: My Best Friend's Squirrel
Gwenpool, the Unbelievable, Vol. 2: Head of M.O.D.O.K
Gwenpool, the Unbelievable, Vol. 3: Totally in Continuity
Gwenpool, the Unbelievable, Vol. 4: Beyond the Fourth Wall

So, not really a matter of if I'll get there, just how. Also, my husband and son are heading out of town this afternoon and coming back tomorrow. Since my giant baby belly and I are opting not to take the six hour round trip for a party I'd be too exhausted to enjoy anyway... should mean a good start for the readathon.

message 27: by Elyse, Moderator (last edited Dec 21, 2018 03:13PM) (new)

Charleen wrote: "I managed to finish one more book this week, so I need five more to reach my goal. I have two in progress:
Year of Wonder: Classical Music for Every Day..."

All Systems Red is short and really good! Woohoo some quiet time for you will be nice for reading and relaxing!

message 28: by Shelby (new)

Shelby Suderman | 1752 comments Didn’t end up getting any more reading done yesterday but hopefully I’ll have time today.

message 29: by Andrea, Moderator (last edited Dec 22, 2018 07:50AM) (new)

Andrea | 4111 comments Mod
How many books do you have left to meet your GR goal (if you haven't already met it)? Three more to go for my goal of 165.

Have you modified it at all this year? I increased my a couple of times...100, 150, then 165

What's your goal for 2019? 125

Any other personal reading goals besides the GR Challenge? My goal is just to continue to read at least 50 of the books I own.

Do you consciously pick a book for your first read of the new year or is it whatever comes up next in your TBR? I usually like to start the year with something that I am really excited about. I don't have anything picked out for this year yet so hopefully something will call to me over the next wee.

message 30: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

I had a few minutes to read through the goals people have posted. I see lots of great goals and it again makes me so happy to be a part of this group! Here's to another great year together!

message 31: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

I finished Brazen Rebel Ladies Who Rocked the World by Pénélope Bagieu last night and loved it! Been listening to The Alienist (Dr. Laszlo Kreizler, #1) by Caleb Carr for a few hours this morning and will be sitting down with A Dangerous Collaboration (Veronica Speedwell #4) by Deanna Raybourn soon.

message 32: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (stacieh) | 1790 comments I listened to just over half of Ancient Mesopotamia Life in the Cradle of Civilization by Amanda H. Podany - it's not what I'd intended to start but I needed an audiobook because it's too dark during my commute times to read the books I was planning on! Liking the choice so far, though.

message 33: by Shelby (new)

Shelby Suderman | 1752 comments Doesn’t look like I’m going to have much time to read until Christmas, unfortunately. I look forward to getting my other goals done and spending the last few days of the year reading with the rest of you!

message 34: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (stacieh) | 1790 comments Shelby wrote: "Doesn’t look like I’m going to have much time to read until Christmas, unfortunately. I look forward to getting my other goals done and spending the last few days of the year reading with the rest ..."

Aw, rats! Well, here's hoping that you can carve out a little bit of reading time for yourself and that all of the non-reading things filling your days are fantastic and bring you happiness. *fingers crossed*

message 35: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

I have been listening to audio books while, wrapping, cooking, and cleaning. Most recently I have discovered that I can listen to books while grocery shopping, why did I never do this before??

Speaking of which, Elyse do you still like the wireless android ear buds you suggested? I'm planning on asking for some for my birthday!

message 36: by Shelby (last edited Dec 22, 2018 11:06AM) (new)

Shelby Suderman | 1752 comments Stacie wrote: "Shelby wrote: "Doesn’t look like I’m going to have much time to read until Christmas, unfortunately. I look forward to getting my other goals done and spending the last few days of the year reading..."

Thanks! It’s mostly just work and working on my own book, both of which are important. The sooner I hit my writing goal, the more time I have for reading!

message 37: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Andrea wrote: "I have been listening to audio books while, wrapping, cooking, and cleaning. Most recently I have discovered that I can listen to books while grocery shopping, why did I never do this before??

Spe..."

I do and they're still great! The battery charge on them is over a month and I use them weekly while grocery shopping and sometimes at work.

message 38: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Oh good to know! What brand were yours? I just realized I have several on my wish list and not I can't remembers the specific ones you recommended.

message 40: by Carol (new)

Carol (carol07) | 2737 comments Charleen wrote: "I have three novels out from the library:
Our Lady of the Ice
The Music Shop
All Systems Red
(I will definitely not be reading all of these, but I might choose one.)

Have you looked at Our Lady of the Ice? It is winter and I am in my Snowmageddon mode... I just added it to my list.

message 41: by Elyse, Moderator (last edited Dec 23, 2018 07:17AM) (new)

I ended up multitasking the DVR and reading yesterday so obviously got more watching done than reading. lol. I'm 75% through The Alienist (Dr. Laszlo Kreizler, #1) by Caleb Carr , listening to it right now, (I also watched the first episode of the TV show) and about 50% through A Dangerous Collaboration (Veronica Speedwell #4) by Deanna Raybourn . I found it hard to put down last night once I settled to just reading! I do have gift-wrapping to do today. Or tomorrow. lol. There is not a spot of snow left so it's pretty hard to get into the Christmas spirit right now! But it will be good audiobook time.

message 42: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Stockard Miller (michelleamiller) | 19 comments I won't be able to seriously join in until after Christmas, but I will be joining in. Also, thank you for the reminder...I have to get the sign up post for Winter's Respite done, ideally BEFORE Christmas. Will have to try to squeeze it in. lol

I have no hope of meeting my GR goal, as I'm about 40+ books behind. Ugh.

No, and I'm not going to. I need to remind myself how paltry my reading was this year to kick myself in the butt for next year.

Going to try for 75 again.

I'd like to try to read a book a week. Maybe even two weekly. Gah!

My first book of the year will actually be my Goodreads book group (True Book Talk) book for January, Eleanor of Aquitaine by Marion Meade. So, I guess consciously picking this, but it has also been on my TBR for a while, and it's on my list for my long term non-fiction challenge.

message 43: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1455 comments Update for the first few days.

- finished The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Vol. 8: My Best Friend's Squirrel
- finished Gwenpool, the Unbelievable, Vol. 2: Head of M.O.D.O.K
- read 66 pages of Year of Wonder: Classical Music for Every Day (and listened to ~6hrs of corresponding music)
- read 168 pages of The Music Shop
- listened to 2h20m of On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft

I imagine I'll slow down a bit the next few days with the holiday, plus we have family staying with us for a couple days just after Christmas. Hoping for another big push next weekend.

Carol, I haven't yet, but it definitely seems like a perfect pick for winter!

message 44: by Elyse, Moderator (last edited Dec 24, 2018 07:12AM) (new)

I finished 2 books yesterday! I finished listening to The Alienist (Dr. Laszlo Kreizler, #1) by Caleb Carr and reading A Dangerous Collaboration (Veronica Speedwell #4) by Deanna Raybourn . And got all my gifts wrapped! And did laundry and vacuumed (cheating. I have a Roomba). Woohoo!
I started listening to The Goblin Emperor (The Goblin Emperor, #1) by Katherine Addison this morning. I have a feeling it will be my last audiobook as I only have 2 more work days of the year! lol. And it's 16 hours long.
Today I will be reading Clockworks (Locke & Key, #5) by Joe Hill , Alpha & Omega (Locke & Key, #6) by Joe Hill , and Locke & Key Heaven and Earth by Joe Hill . Then continue with Once Upon a River by Diane Setterfield .

Today I've just got to cook a ham, vacuum my car, and then go to my dad's side's Christmas party! :) Today is more busy at night and tomorrow will be more busy in the morning.

Merry Christmas Eve!

message 45: by Shelby (new)

Shelby Suderman | 1752 comments Got some done of The Afterlife of Holly Chase yesterday evening. Hoping to finish it tonight.

message 46: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Joanne wrote: "Just a query when will new 2019 folders be up and running."

The 2019 folders are open! They are below the 2018 folders for now, they will be moved up in 2019.

Also, I've created a poll for a possible group name change! Vote here!

message 47: by Karol (new)

Karol I enjoyed reading "Promise Me This", by Cathy Gohlke. Excellent book that starts with the Titanic and goes through World War I.

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 504 comments So far it's been the busier part of this read-a-thon for me (Friday was my last day at work before the holidays, Saturday was my family's big Christmas party, Sunday was pretty relaxed but involved lots of present wrapping and bingeing Nailed It Holiday, and then yesterday and today are more partying!). But I have gotten some reading done!

My priority prior to the New Year is finishing my two big books in progress, Seven Fallen Feathers: Racism, Death, and Hard Truths in a Northern City and Emma. I've made really good progress on Seven Fallen Feathers; I just have the last chapter and the epilogue left (about 30 pages).

Emma is slower going. I'm reading the ebook and have only gone from like 45% to about 49%. I'm worried I won't finish it by the end of the year, and I hate carrying books over to the next year! I'm enjoying it but it is very long. I've been reading it just at bed time for 3 months, so I'll have to do a lot more daytime ebook reading to finish this one!

message 49: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Michelle wrote: "I won't be able to seriously join in until after Christmas, but I will be joining in. Also, thank you for the reminder...I have to get the sign up post for Winter's Respite done, ideally BEFORE Chr..."

Oh yes, we need that Winter's Respite sign-up blog post! ;)

message 50: by Shelby (new)

Shelby Suderman | 1752 comments Finally finished The Afterlife of Holly Chase by Cynthia Hand . Great book. Go read it.

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.