The Reading Challenge Group discussion

Personal Challenges - 2019 > CaptKirk42's 2019 Challenge

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (last edited Dec 19, 2019 11:37PM) (new)

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (klandersen) | 440 comments Goal for this year is 12 Books:

Read This Year:
Pun Fun by Ennis Rees 1984 by George Orwell When I Grow Up by Al Yankovic My New Teacher and Me! by Al Yankovic How the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. Seuss
5/12

Past Challenges: 2018 | 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (klandersen) | 440 comments I'm trying to keep these yearly challenges consistent. Until I prove to myself that I can easily read more than 12 books per year I will keep with this fairly reasonable goal.

message 3: by Roseanne (new)

Roseanne | 1224 comments I have probably said this before but I love that you link your past years challenges. Good luck in '19.

message 4: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

Rosemarie | 3940 comments Mod
Good luck on your challenge.

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (klandersen) | 440 comments Roseanne wrote: "I have probably said this before but I love that you link your past years challenges. Good luck in '19."

Thanks. You probably did. I like link my past challenges for myself as well as for others who happen to stumble upon my yearly challenges.

message 6: by Inkspill (new)

Inkspill (runinkspill) | 70 comments CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian wrote: "I'm trying to keep these yearly challenges consistent. Until I prove to myself that I can easily read more than 12 books per year I will keep with this fairly reasonable goal."

Absolutely, otherwise reading stops being fun, isn't that the whole point of reading?

Good Luck for 2019

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (klandersen) | 440 comments Started reading George Orwell's Classic "1984".

I have this book marked as having read it ages ago (1980s sometime), but I'm not so sure I finished it completely back then. I have a few books from back then marked as having read, but never completed the book. I was the same way with "Brave New World" awhile back. That one I had started reading in High School (or maybe Jr. High) for a book report on Dystopian Societies for an English class. Like many books for book reports back then I hadn't actually finished reading the whole book but did a cruddy report for it Thinking back after my semi recent reading of that one I realized that the more recent read was the only complete reading. I'm pretty sure it is the same case for 1984 here. Not sure how much of the book I had originally read. I have long been familiar with the story and have seen the movie at least once.

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (klandersen) | 440 comments Near end of July is got a copy of Pun Fun by Ennis Rees. I had to add a new edition since mine is a Hardback copy (ex-Library copy still with markings and due date schedule with pocket for checkout card.) Until I scan my copy and upload to its edition the picture for it will be generic. It is similar to the edition that has a picture but a hardback copy not the paperback. Plus there are twice as many pages. I got my copy from Ebay on 23 July, started reading it. Only read about 20 pages the first day then read the rest on 28 July So my dates read looks longer than actual reading time.

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (klandersen) | 440 comments Finished reading 1984
1984 by George Orwell

message 10: by CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (last edited Dec 17, 2019 11:54AM) (new)

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (klandersen) | 440 comments Read a couple of Children's books to help things along a little bit.
Read the two books by Weird Al Yankovic
When I Grow Up and My New Teacher and Me!

When I Grow Up by Al Yankovic My New Teacher and Me! by Al Yankovic

Both are very good and follow the same character a kid named Billy. Billy is very imaginative and a teacher's nightmare. The stories flow with a rhyming theme that is similar to Dr. Seuss. Every pair of two lines rhymes. Probably a credit to Al's song writing.

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (klandersen) | 440 comments Read another children's book. This one was a re-read One from my childhood so I had read it as a child who knows how many times. My "current" copy is a mid 1980s edition.

The Christmas Classic:
How the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. Seuss
How the Grinch Stole Christmas!

message 12: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

Rosemarie | 3940 comments Mod
That one is a classic.