Great American Read List discussion

Reading and Associated Themes > 2019 Reading Goals

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Dec 19, 2018 12:16PM) (new)

Lavan Zerach | 498 comments Mod
Do you set yearly reading goals?

How many books or how many pages would you like to read in 2019?
Will you join the 2019 GoodReads Reading Challenge?

Will you participate in any other challenges whether here on GR or elsewhere, i.e. via GR groups, local library, etc.? If so, what are they?

Other goals/plans for 2019? Please, share!
_______

Sometimes. I did this year and also in 2010 (there's a large gap in between, I know). At times, I get distracted with other hobbies and reading takes a backseat, but when I'm focused on reading goals do motivate me.

My aim for 2019 is 40 books.
I think I'm going to finish 2018 with 38, but I started a little into the year (Feb. 9ᵗʰ).
I may set a goal for total page count as well, but I'm going to wait until I know what my total for this year is. So far, I'm at 15,855.

Yes.

Other goals/plans for 2019?
● 24 The Great American Read books
I've read 21 this year, but I think I'll finish with 24.

● 12 Boxall's 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die
I've read 14 this year, but I think I'll finish with 15.

● some nonfiction
Every book I finished this year is fiction, but I started Beyond Good and Evil (at 35%) on Oct. 10ᵗʰ, although I don't think I'll finish it before the end of the year.

● some GoodReads Choice Awards nominees and winners

message 2: by Andrew, moderator (new)

Andrew (andyhuey) | 332 comments Mod
I hit my 100-book goal for 2018 just recently. (Many of my books were short ebooks and/or comics, so it's not like I read 100 novels. But I did read a good number of novels this year.) I'll set a 100-book goal next year too.

I still have a bunch of books that I wanted to read this year that I didn't get around to. I may try to move some of them to the top of the list for next year. That includes a few non-fiction books that I've been putting off.

I'm glad that I managed to read a number of TGAR books this year, including several that were outside my "comfort zone". I think I expanded my horizons a bit and learned a few things.

I had wanted to read some stuff from the PBS / NY Times "Now Read This" book club this year, but I didn't manage to read even a single book from that. Oh well.

For TGAR next year, there are several books I didn't get around to reading this year, including Frankenstein, Ready Player One, and of course To Kill A Mockingbird. (I could conceivably read Mockingbird before the end of this year, but I probably won't manage it.)

message 3: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Dec 21, 2018 12:34PM) (new)

Congratulations, Andrew! That's fantastic! I don't think I've ever read 100 books in a year. One year, I think I managed 96.

I can relate. I wanted to finish the A Song of Ice and Fire series before the end of this year. I'm 19% through A Feast for Crows (book 4), but I still have A Dance with Dragons after that.
After I created this group and my focus switched to The Great American Read books I fell behind in another group here on GoodReads—Boxall's 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die. I need to read five books—Eva Trout, The Grapes of Wrath (reread), The Godfather, Notes from Underground, and Love in the Time of Cholera to be caught up for 2018. (A couple of these novels are also GAR books.)
So many books, so little time!

I've never seen the PBS/NY Times 'Now Read This' book club. I'll check it out!

Hopefully, those GAR books that you're most interested in will be on upcoming polls and get voted as 2019 reads and if not, then you can always do them as side-reads.
I am enjoying To Kill a Mockingbird a great deal!

message 4: by Trina (last edited Dec 19, 2018 12:40PM) (new)

Trina  (trinanycolbrown) Do you set yearly reading goals?
Yes, this year I set a goal of 100 books but read/listened to 242 books (76,295 pages) so far this year.
https://www.goodreads.com/user/year_i...

I'm going to set a goal of 100 books for 2019. I think 2018 was different year for me because I was off this summer and now off for the holidays. Next year I won't have that luxury:-)

Yes, I plan to join for 2019.

Will you participate in any other challenges whether here on GR or elsewhere, i.e. via GR groups, local library, etc.? If so, what are they?
Yes, I belong to a few good GR groups and we have quarterly challenges, book bingos, book sprints, etc.

I'd like to read at least 25 books from the Great American Reads lists in 2019.

message 5: by Andrew, moderator (new)

Lavan: Love in the Time of Cholera is a good one. I read that when it first came out, back in 88 or 89, I think.

Trina: 242! Wow, that's a lot.

message 6: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Dec 21, 2018 06:47PM) (new)

Andrew—I looked at the 2018 books selected for the PBS NewsHour-New York Times book club and I recognized a couple titles from recent GoodReads friends' updates— Educated and Exit West.
Thank you for mentioning it!

WOW, 242 books, Trina! 76,295 pages—that's superb!
Thank you for sharing the link for your 'Year in Books.' I did scroll through to see how many we have in common and which are on my to read shelf.
I thought I did well this year until I read your totals (and Andrew reaching his goal of 100 too), haha! I'm now at 36 books and 16,721 pages. I still think I can finish 2018 with 38 (I'm 81% through Streets of Laredo and 40% through To Kill a Mockingbird).

I've never participated in book bingo or book sprints, but they sound like fun!

message 7: by Larissa (new)

Larissa Langsather (langsather) | 45 comments Do you set yearly reading goals?
Yes, ever since I started using Goodreads in 2012

I would like to read 100 books but I have no specific amount of pages. I read 132 books in 2018 but only about 30 of them were grown up books so I guess my vague goal is to try to read at least 40 grown up books if I am going to keep reading so many kids books (I read to my girls a lot).

Of course!

I will be participating in the Popsugar Challenge. I also wanted to try something a little new and follow along with the Demco library calendar http://ideas.demco.com/tag/activity-c...

I want to be involved with more readathons and especially this GAR online book club.

message 8: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Dec 29, 2018 01:59PM) (new)

Wow, wow, wow! I'm the lightweight in this group, it seems. [I'm smiling good-natured as I type this.]
Congratulations on reading 132 books this year!

It's great to see so many high achievers here, and it's wonderful that you read to your daughters, Larissa. I'm a big believer in reading to children often and enthusiastically.

I've seen other GoodReads members participate in Popsugar, but I don't know anything about it. I'll check it out.
I hope you have fun with all of your 2019 reading challenges!

I've never done a read-a-thon. Maybe we'll have one for this group in the future if there is enough interest.
Thank you for sharing, Larissa!

message 9: by Bethany (new)

Bethany | 123 comments Hello everyone!
Sorry to be so in and out with my participation!
Last year I (barely) met my reading goal by reading 126/125 books. Here's my year in books, for the interested : https://www.goodreads.com/user/year_i...
Pregnancy is kicking my butt a bit, and I found that I have increased anxiety while pregnant, which is impacting my usual (voracious) reading habits. That said, I do want to participate in reading goals again this year.

Yes. I set this year's at 50 books, mostly because I know that having a newborn will have a pretty huge effect on me, but I still want to keep reading.

How many books or how many pages would you like to read in 2019? 50
Yes
Not really. I'm a member of the Monthly Reading Challenge Book Club here on Goodreads, but not really anywhere else. My chorus is reading With Winning in Mind: The Mental Management System: An Olympic Champion's Success System as we prepare for our contest, but it's not an "official" book club.

Other goals/plans for 2019?
Birth a human. Figure things out from there :)

message 10: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Jan 03, 2019 07:18PM) (new)

No apologies necessary, Bethany. Happy to hear from you whenever you've the time and want to join in.

Congratulations on exceeding your goal of 125 books and thank you for sharing your 'Year in Books'! I noticed a nice mix of genres and some interesting titles too. I had to read the overviews for a couple— I Am Nujood, Age 10 and Divorced and My Best Friend's Exorcism, and I'm envious you've already read The Count of Monte Cristo.

Out of curiosity—do you ever read aloud so your fetus can listen? (If that's too personal, please don't answer.)

"Birth a human" made me smile!

You've all inspired me. I've set my 2019 GoodReads Reading Challenge to 45 books (instead of 40) and here is My Year in Books if anyone's interested.

message 11: by Bethany (new)

Bethany | 123 comments I do not read aloud, but I often listen to audiobooks on the way to/from work. He really likes when I am at choir practice though.

message 12: by Lavan, moderator (new)

Bethany wrote: "He really likes when I am at choir practice though."

Aw, that's so sweet!

message 13: by Bridget (new)

Bridget | 200 comments Mod
Since I've joined the party late, I figured I'd add my goals for this year.

Do you set yearly reading goals? I set goals in 2017 & 2018 so this will be my third year. In 2017 my goal was 45 books and I read 8. (14% of goal) In 2018 my goal was 5 books and I read 7. (140% of goal) I'd call that an improvement. :)

How many books or how many pages would you like to read in 2019? I set my goal for 5 books, hit that and changed it to 10, today I'm moving my goal to 15.

Will you join the 2019 GoodReads Reading Challenge? Oh yes, this will be fun.

Will you participate in any other challenges whether here on GR or elsewhere, i.e. via GR groups, local library, etc.? If so, what are they? Probably not, I'd like to focus on this group, I get way to distracted, way to easily.

Other goals/plans for 2019? Please, share! I do have a personal goal to read all the books in my house. It's crazy but I tend to be a book hoarder, I buy them and never open them. So, once read, the book will either be a permanent addition to my library or be released into the wild.

message 14: by Andrew, moderator (new)

Bridget wrote: "I tend to be a book hoarder, I buy them and never open them. "
I have so many unread books. Both physical books and ebooks. It used to stress me out, but I'm ok with it now. (Mostly.)

message 15: by Bethany (new)

Bethany | 123 comments Book hoarding is real. My shelves feel the pain.

message 16: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Mar 22, 2019 12:16PM) (new)

You're not late, Bridget!
I'd like long-time and new members to share their 2019 reading goals anytime during the year.

I didn't reach my GoodReads Reading Challenge goal last year. I finished 38 of 46 (83%). I hope to do better this year and reach 45, but reading any amount is a win in my opinion. (I know people who don't read for pleasure at all. I don't understand that.)

You're already ahead of me with 11 (I've finished 8 so far). I'm envious! [I'm grinning.]

"I do have a personal goal to read all the books in my house."—that's fantastic! I would like to accomplish this as well, someday.

" ... or be released into the wild" made me smile!

"Book hoarding is real. My shelves feel the pain."—this made me smile too, Bethany!

I'm reminded that it's been over a year (last Feb.) since I've spring-cleaned my library. I should do that soon.