Start by marking “With Winning in Mind: The Mental Management System: An Olympic Champion's Success System” as Want to Read:

In the Olympic sport that is most dependent upon effective and precise mental management (rifle shooting), Olympic gold medalist Lanny Bassham proved he was the master. Perhaps no one has thought more and taught more or better distilled the purest essence of controlling our minds to produce the results which we desire in sports or life.
-- Turn mental shortcomings into ment
Published November 1st 1996 by Bookpartners

To ask other readers questions about With Winning in Mind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about With Winning in Mind

Start your review of With Winning in Mind: The Mental Management System: An Olympic Champion's Success System
Trung Nguyen Dang
Dec 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great book on the mental management, essentially on the importance of changing the Self Image, to become a better performer, mostly athlete.
Kristy Cooper
Jan 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sports, favorites
This is a great book for anyone with a competitive nature. Our son is a 16 yr old athlete who wants to achieve his dreams and has the drive to do it. He's not a reader at all. So whenever we were in the car on a road trip, I turned it into an audiobook!

There is quite a bit of great info on how to win, how to NOT let the naysayers count and more importantly remind you to stay focused. There are also things to help you along your journey.

Hard work pays off and this book is definitely worth the ti
Acc13
Jun 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Short and sweet.

Essential mental approach for competition.
Lot of overlap with some of his other material (Winning Sporting Clays); but excellent stuff that bears repetition.

Clearly written, and his examples keep you engaged.

Lessons apply to all competitive sports, and anything that requires consistency and re-invention of the self (life in general).

The mental aspects of my game had lagged so much that learning about them precipitated one of the biggest jumps on my learning curve since I started
Thebookiemonster
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
From previous competitions, I'd already incorporated most of the mental techniques and self-talk addressed in this book. But, this is the closest thing there is to a guidebook on mental attitude for competition and high-pressure situations. I'd recommend this to anyone who competes in anything. Actually, to anyone who wants to not be a wet blanket and take control of their mindset.

It's a really fast read, too.
Haley S
Feb 02, 2021 rated it really liked it
Really great book about mental management. Although he is an Olympic shooter, his tips and ideas can be used in any part of life. Would definitely recommend!
Imogen Clowes
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It works!!
Rori Rockman
Dec 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Prior to this book, I was of the mindset that positive thinking, self affirmations, etc. were a load of crock. I would encounter hopeful and utterly clueless people who would blabber on about “no limits” and “whatever you set your mind to” as they floundered around in their lives with no focus or discipline and getting nothing accomplished.

This book changed my mind. Positive reinforcement, I realized, works — but not on its own. The author writes about coupling a positive self-image with discipl
Ahnika
Aug 01, 2011 added it
Lanny is the man! He and his family are amazing people. My archery coach lended me this book (which I now have a signed copy of my own, YaY!), it helps you achieve your goals in anything, not just in sports. The Mental Management System is so breathtakingly helpful, it opened my eyes to a positive way to think and act; which then leads to a positive outcome. I am so grateful to Lanny and my coach.......This is a must have for everyone.
Steve Pearson
Sep 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book. I am a golfer and particularly was interested in how many of the pros Lanny consults are able to maintain focus in pressure situations. I originally wanted to read this book to help me focus better in general. The book gives you practical methods to use to get the things you want from life, sports and non-sports related.

Easy to read and the author has lots of credibility as he has been able to achieve Olympic medals and help several professional golfers be successful.
Alex Fontanetta
Lanny Bassham discusses the other side of athletics: the non-physical, mental aspect. The book is concise and easy to read. He sticks to the application of key mental strategies while giving short examples to support his theories. It is a short, quick read, beneficial for both coaches and athletes.
Steve
Sep 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great approach from sport to life. Hope it will be useful in my training and life goals.

Definitely will test it out for my next tournament and personal goals.

The main objective is to maintain positive and task oriented attitude. Might not be easy to implement right away but with some work could be very effective.

Kris
Dec 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perhaps the best book I've ever read about how to improve performance, set a goal, and strenthen self-discipline. I read it for help with my tennis game and found that it's relevant for almost any pursuit. ...more
Nick
Apr 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
This stuff really works. The book is so simply written as to be simple-minded, but the method really works. Try it. You'll see. ...more
Brad Lasater
Jan 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: home-library
This book completely changed my whole outlook towards my archery 'career'. I have a new way to view success and accomplishments.! ...more
Mark
Dec 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: coaching, self-help
Enjoyed this great book. Very practical and provided an actual system with which I can achieve my goals.
Carolyn Jussila
Mar 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
2nd time I've read it. Very useful info- highlights all over it. ...more
Taro Yamashita
Jul 19, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: psychology, sports
This is a book that seems to have been adapted from a PowerPoint presentation.

It's basically the script for a registered name system called Mental Management(R) run by the author. He freely admits that he does not have academic background in this material, and it shows. I have read only a handful of books related to this, and it's clear that this guy got to basically the right places, but got there without any formal education. The voice in the book is that of a strong-willed Texan who consider
Brian Johnson
Feb 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This book is great.

“I am well aware that there are many fine self-improvement books available. Psychologists, motivational speakers, religious leaders and business professionals write them. A competitor writes this one. The Mental Management® System is not based on psychology; instead, it is 100% based on competition. I did my apprenticeship in the arena of Olympic pressure. My credibility is not based on the course I took in college; it’s in my gold medals and the medals of my students. It’s no
Keith Daigneau
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book "With Winning in Mind" is a great book! The author, Lanny Bassham, is former olympic small bore rifle competitor with 22 individual and team titles, set 4 world records, won a silver medal in 1972, and a gold medal in 1976. Throughout the book, Lanny talks about the mental philosophy of sports or in business through the system called "The Mental Management System". Lanny has helped so many different groups like multiple olympic teams, olympic and world champions, the FBI, the US Secret ...more
Richard Angelus
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Turn mental shortcomings into mental strengths.” This book is a sports philosophy that talks about the mental management system and how it works. This mental management system can be used in sports, businesses and even in daily lives. One reason why I like this book is that Lanny talks about what he felt like an Olympic shooter and how he overcame what was hard for him. Over the course of the book, he teaches all of the things that can help me physically and mentally, like what I should think w ...more
Rydh
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good

This book was an easy read, being both entertaining and informative. I first heard of the book when a golf commentator mentioned it during a broadcast, saying that he recommended it as a "must read" for any golfer seriously wanting to improve his game. I bought the book for that reason but I now understand that the teachings of Mr Bassham are applicable not only to competitive sporting activities but to the pursuit of improvement in just about any endeavour one can think of. In retrospe
Phat Nguyen
Aug 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What can I say about this book?

I read many non-fiction books before, but I never heard about this one. It didn't even stand out on Amazon list after years of publication. I didn't even hear anyone mentioned the name "Lanny Bassham" before...

But after reading this book, I can safely put many other self-help books on the shelf for good.

This book is the ultimate source that teaches you not only to be good, but also to be great; not only to be a better competitor, but also to be a Champion. And all
Cheron Spiller
May 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very much enjoyed reading this book. Lanny Bassham gives a different perspective on how to win the game and yourself. He takes you through the 'Mental Management' program and breaks down the fundamental of how to succeed.

This book is based on sports and sport philosophy. Regardless if this book is about sports and how to win in competitions, I recommend this book to students, young adults and teachers as well. Bassham is a very positive coach that inspires his fans and trainees to succeed in com
Peter Parker
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'd like to think I got a lot out of this book. Essentially it does come down to the change that you're willing to make on yourself but this book goes through the steps to make it happen. The chapters are really easy to read and pretty short which is great when you're wanting to read a bit during lunch break. Would definitely recommend it to others who are looking to take that next step on their journey to self-development. ...more
Stephen Lake
Feb 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So much great material here for coaching and developing an elite mental game—and not just in sports. My son’s bowling coach Diandra Asbaty recommended this book: “I read this and 3 months later I won the PWBA Queens title!” I have been applying Bassham’s insights as I have been helping to train my son. First tournament since then: he averaged over 200 for the tournament for the first time ever and took 2nd, his highest tournament finish so far!
Mar 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is a great read for anyone looking to better their self-image. It may seem like this is a book for athletes only, but trust me, this book will help you in your personal life/ work life/ sports. It has great pieces of information in every chapter. So much so that it inspires you to just write it down and have it around you at all time.

This book is great! Please take some time and read this!
josh horner
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow

I can’t tell you to read this book but if you don’t you are missing out. I read this book in one day and could not put it down. I am a former collegiate athlete looking for help in a further endeavor and this book has helped me a lot. Being able to relate to many of the things said in this book has shown me he knows what he is talking about.
Felix de la Montana
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is a hidden gem. Judging by the number of rating (under 800 at the time of this writing), few people of younger generations know about this book.

As an adult, each of us ponders how to change our habits. Lanny Bassham offers a clear and specific set of tools and strategies to do so. Read it! Follow your dreams!
Jonathan D Corder
Consistently applicable

I was a competitive shooter in the late 80s and early 90s as a junior on the National level. Lannys cassettes helped my performance tremendously through positive reinforcement. They led me to various national awards in service rifle competition. Now decades later I have successfully revisited them to increase my performance as a trader.
Dave
Feb 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There’s not too much new here concerning Personal Development. Goal setting, visualization, positive intent are the bulk of the book. I did enjoy the authors stories concerning Olympian mindset training secrets.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Mind Gym: An Athlete's Guide to Inner Excellence
  • Take the Stairs: 7 Steps to Achieving True Success
  • Total Archery: Inside the Archer
  • Must vöö müügis
  • Mastery: The Keys to Success and Long-Term Fulfillment
  • The Red Circle: My Life in the Navy SEAL Sniper Corps and How I Trained America's Deadliest Marksmen
  • The Inner Game of Tennis: The Classic Guide to the Mental Side of Peak Performance
  • Best Judo
  • Unlimited Power: The New Science Of Personal Achievement
  • Developing the Leader Within You
  • Relentless: From Good to Great to Unstoppable
  • What to Say When You Talk to Yourself
  • Quantum Memory Power: Learn to Improve Your Memory with the World Memory Champion!
  • The Way of the Fight