Start by marking “With Winning in Mind: The Mental Management System: An Olympic Champion's Success System” as Want to Read:

4.39  ·  Rating details ·  467 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
In the Olympic sport that is most dependent upon effective and precise mental management (rifle shooting), Olympic gold medalist Lanny Bassham proved he was the master. Perhaps no one has thought more and taught more or better distilled the purest essence of controlling our minds to produce the results which we desire in sports or life.
-- Turn mental shortcomings into ment
Published November 1st 1996 by Bookpartners

To ask other readers questions about With Winning in Mind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about With Winning in Mind

Kristy Cooper
Jan 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sports, favorites
This is a great book for anyone with a competitive nature. Our son is a 16 yr old athlete who wants to achieve his dreams and has the drive to do it. He's not a reader at all. So whenever we were in the car on a road trip, I turned it into an audiobook!

There is quite a bit of great info on how to win, how to NOT let the naysayers count and more importantly remind you to stay focused. There are also things to help you along your journey.

Hard work pays off and this book is definitely worth the ti
Acc13
Jun 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Short and sweet.

Essential mental approach for competition.
Lot of overlap with some of his other material (Winning Sporting Clays); but excellent stuff that bears repetition.

Clearly written, and his examples keep you engaged.

Lessons apply to all competitive sports, and anything that requires consistency and re-invention of the self (life in general).

The mental aspects of my game had lagged so much that learning about them precipitated one of the biggest jumps on my learning curve since I started
Ahnika
Aug 01, 2011 added it
Lanny is the man! He and his family are amazing people. My archery coach lended me this book (which I now have a signed copy of my own, YaY!), it helps you achieve your goals in anything, not just in sports. The Mental Management System is so breathtakingly helpful, it opened my eyes to a positive way to think and act; which then leads to a positive outcome. I am so grateful to Lanny and my coach.......This is a must have for everyone.
Steve Pearson
Sep 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book. I am a golfer and particularly was interested in how many of the pros Lanny consults are able to maintain focus in pressure situations. I originally wanted to read this book to help me focus better in general. The book gives you practical methods to use to get the things you want from life, sports and non-sports related.

Easy to read and the author has lots of credibility as he has been able to achieve Olympic medals and help several professional golfers be successful.
Alex Fontanetta
Lanny Bassham discusses the other side of athletics: the non-physical, mental aspect. The book is concise and easy to read. He sticks to the application of key mental strategies while giving short examples to support his theories. It is a short, quick read, beneficial for both coaches and athletes.
Steve
Sep 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great approach from sport to life. Hope it will be useful in my training and life goals.

Definitely will test it out for my next tournament and personal goals.

The main objective is to maintain positive and task oriented attitude. Might not be easy to implement right away but with some work could be very effective.

Ja
Jan 30, 2013 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book. This type of book is best when it is concise and he did a great job pulling it together in a mageable length. There are a lot of great tips and lessons here. Special thanks to Jackie Bruno for recommending it. I am using it to help me as I will run a half-marathon in New Bedford on 3/17/13.
Kris
Dec 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perhaps the best book I've ever read about how to improve performance, set a goal, and strenthen self-discipline. I read it for help with my tennis game and found that it's relevant for almost any pursuit.
Carolyn Jussila
Mar 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
2nd time I've read it. Very useful info- highlights all over it.
Mark
Dec 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: coaching, self-help
Enjoyed this great book. Very practical and provided an actual system with which I can achieve my goals.
  • 10-Minute Toughness: The Mental Training Program for Winning Before the Game Begins
  • A Week in the Zone
  • You're Hired: How to Succeed in Business and Life
  • Navy SEAL Training Guide: Mental Toughness
  • Eat Smart, Walk Strong: The Secrets to Effortless Weight Loss
  • Living Well with Autoimmune Disease: What Your Doctor Doesn't Tell You...That You Need to Know
  • Living Successfully with Screwed-Up People
  • Finding Your Zone: Ten Core Lessons for Achieving Peak Performance in Sports and Life
  • The Breakthrough Company: How Everyday Companies Become Extraordinary Performers
  • The Relaxation Response
  • The Reality Slap: Finding Peace and Fulfillment When Life Hurts
  • The Book on Leadership
  • Stick Fighting: Techniques of Self-Defense
“Change is a difficult challenge to face.” 0 likes
“If you are proactive about controlling the direction of your life, then you must control the way you think.” 0 likes