Great Middle Grade Reads discussion

GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > 2019 MG Books You Can't Wait To Read

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Louie (new)

Louie | 73 comments I'm always looking for more MG books to add to my tbr pile and recently I have been wondering what MG books coming out in 2019 other GMGR group members have been anticipating. So I am asking, if there are any new middle grade books coming out in 2019 that you can't wait to read, please recommend them here.

message 2: by Louie (last edited Dec 16, 2018 03:24PM) (new)

Louie | 73 comments I personally have been eagerly waiting for Ghost Squad by Claribel A. Ortega, based on Dominican Folklore, its about Lucely Luna who must save the ghosts of her lost loved ones, living as fireflies, from evil spirits who wish to destroy them.

Also I really want to read The Strangers by Margaret Peterson Haddix, one of the few Middle Grade Suspense authors out there. When the three Greystone siblings hear reports of three kidnapped children with their same names, ages, and exact birthdates, this bizarre coincidence makes them wonder who are these strangers and who are we ?

message 3: by Maria (new)

Maria Dateno | 43 comments I have read and enjoyed several of Andrew Clements' books (especially Frindle and The School Story), so I'm looking to The Friendship War, which I think is coming out in January.

There is also a new Fun Jungle book by Stuart Gibbs called Lion Down . I love his Spy School series. I need to read the other Fun Jungle books before I read this new one, though.

message 4: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Jaeger (jsjaeger) | 174 comments After reading The Iron Trial this year, I'm looking forward to finishing the Magisterium series.

I'll also be reading Resistance by Jennifer Nielsen and hope to read some more from Brandon Sanderson.

message 5: by Jemima (last edited Dec 25, 2018 01:39PM) (new)

Jemima Pett | 1424 comments Mod
I'm really impressed that you know all these books coming out! I'm too busy to keep up, unless they happen to fall into my lap via Net-Galley! I don't think any I've got at present are suitable for MG though.

message 6: by Maria (new)

Maria Dateno | 43 comments Sometimes I read about an upcoming book here on Goodreads, because I follow the author.

More often I know about them by seeing them on the children's bookshelf newsletter from Publishers Weekly. You can sign up for their free newsletters here: https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/e...

(I don't know anything about Net Galley. Is it free to sign up for, Jemima?)

message 7: by Jemima (new)

Yes, Net-galley is free, but you have to post your reviews, and show that you have some sort of following that’s reading them. I post on Goodreads and my blog and then transfer them to Amazon once the book is published.
You can always try!
Go to netgalley.com and look for your country’s site if appropriate.

message 8: by Jemima (new)

I've just heard that my favourite (adult crime) author is bringing out a children's book this year. Elly Griffiths is bringing out a number of standalones at the moment to add to her Ruth Galloway and Stephens & Mephisto series.

From her newsletter: In May 2019 I’m launching my first children’s book, A Girl Called Justice. It’s set in the 1930s and features a schoolgirl sleuth called Justice Jones. If you have children or grandchildren aged between 8 and 11, they might enjoy getting to know Justice.

Well, I don't think we need the excuse of children in the right age-groups!