Start by marking “The Iron Trial (Magisterium, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Iron Trial (Magisterium, #1)

The Iron Trial

(Magisterium #1)

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  53,389 ratings  ·  6,265 reviews
All his life, Call has been warned by his father to stay away from magic. To succeed at the Iron Trial and be admitted into the vaunted Magisterium school would bring bad things. But he fails at failing. Only hard work, loyal friends, danger, and a puppy await.
Published September 9th 2014 by Scholastic Press

To ask other readers questions about The Iron Trial, please sign up.
Lauren No, and I was really pleased by this. The kids were so young, it would have felt out of place.
Cat The USA. Call lives in North Carolina and the school is in Virginia.
YA Novels of 2014
1,547 books — 9,146 voters
Queen of Shadows by Sarah J. MaasWinter by Marissa MeyerEmpire of Storms by Sarah J. MaasA Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. MaasLady Midnight by Cassandra Clare
DYING TO READ
1,002 books — 1,201 voters

More lists with this book...

·  53,389 ratings  ·  6,265 reviews

hayden
Sep 22, 2012 marked it as maybe-reads  ·  review of another edition
Cassandra Clare co-wrote this, so obviously, there are Shadowhunters in it.
Where are they?

I can't find them.
is mee... kissa
What's with all the Harry Potter comments? Can authors not write stories about kids and magicians anymore because it's a "rip off" of H. Potter?
Rick Riordan
May 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Callum Hunt does not want to be a magician. All his life, his father has warned him about the dangers of magic, and the sinister ways of the mages who teach youngsters to use their powers in the underground world of the Magisterium. When Callum comes of age and must take his entrance exam for the Magisterium, he tries his hardest to fail. But he fails to fail. He is chosen to train with Master Rufus, the most prestigious mage in the Magisterium. Callum (Call) is ripped away from his normal life ...more
Enya
May 30, 2014 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Well, first of all, all of you people SHUT THE HELL UP.

If Cassandra Clare wants to write books about shadowhunters or magic, it doesn't even freaking matter it's her choice on what she wants to write, and wait-you don't like it? WELL DON'T READ IT, GOD.

You were all ranting about her next series about shadowhunters, The Dark Artifices. If I remember correctly, you were all calling her out on "milking the shadownhunter cash-cow until there was nothing left".

Now she writes a series on something
KL (Cat)

The plot:

The very obvious "plot twist":

The convenient info-dumpings:
description

Conclusion:
description

Basically:
Sofia Theos
You're all thinking it.

No one wants to say it, but we're all thinking it.

*sigh* Okay fine, i'll say it.

J.K Rowling to Cassandra Clare:

description

Well, at least this one isn't about Shadowhunters.
Lola
Oct 16, 2014 rated it did not like it
description

I really wanted to love this. Really wanted.
‘‘The Enemy was a great mage – maybe even the best – but he went crazy. He wanted to live forever and make the dead live again. That’s why they called him the Enemy of Death, because he tried to conquer death. He started pulling chaos into the world, putting the power of the void into animals…and even people.’’

Sigh.

I’m thinking that this reminds me very much of someone in the Harry Potter series. You must be annoyed of seeing this being so much compa
Giselle
Jun 02, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, own
I really wanted to love this one, and I could almost give it a 3-star after the fascinating twist at the end, but I just can't. For the most part, I couldn't stop seeing the glaring parallels with Harry Potter which annoyed me endlessly. I'm not one to roll my eyes at similar storylines - I don't curse all MG novels about magic school for being Harry Potter rip-offs, but there are only so many similarities I can tolerate.

So let's see, we have this kid, Call, who was marked at birth by the most e
Steph Sinclair

Why does the blurb read like a Harry Potter re-mix?
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
How is it even possible I didn't know about this?!!!

I mean seriously?
A series written by two of my favourite authors?
AND I JUST DIDN'T KNOW?!
WTH?!

There's no way I'm not going to add this to my to-be read pile.
Which unfortunately leaves me with 300 books,
which also means that the limit I set for myself is thoroughly broken,
which means I need to READ the hell out of my to-be read,
which means I'm basically screwed! *lol*

BUT
Holly Black and Cassandra Clare!!!
Jeez!!!
I'm doomed! <333
Jess
Aug 28, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m going to try and regurgitate (lovely word) this whole subjective experience in the most objective manner possible.

I’ve heard a lot of this going around:

"I won’t read this because it’s just a repacked Harry Potter."

Sorry to break it to you, but most likely, those that will gravitate the most to this book are those curious enough to see this attempt at a magical school. After the phenomenon that was Harry Potter, one that transcended a series initially aimed at children into a universa
Natalie Monroe
Apr 29, 2014 marked it as never-ever-ever-reading-this  ·  review of another edition
And we all thought Cassie was going to try something new.

Jesse (JesseTheReader)
Sep 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this book! I'm interested to see where the series goes. :)
Thibaut Nicodème
Sep 10, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: snark
Chapter-by-chapter review on my blog, the Snark Theater.

This is…exactly what it sounds like. Cassandra Clare (and Holly Black, though her influence is basically invisible) wrote a book about a kid going to magic school. There was no other way this could go, really.

If you're not aware (but is there someone on Goodreads who isn't?), Cassandra Clare has a history with the Harry Potter series, and its fandom. She rose to fame by writing Harry Potter fanfiction. Even then, people already accused her
Aurélie (Exploring Pages)
Jan 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Harry Potter and Percy Jackson
Recommended to Aurélie (Exploring Pages) by: Myself. Yay!
More reviews on my blog, Exploring Pages.
"As he bent closer, he realized they were words -- words his wife had carved into the cave ice with the last of her dying strength. As he read them, he felt them like three hard blows in the stomach.
KILL THE CHILD"

- Holly Black and Cassandra Clare, The Iron Trial

Thank you Doubleday Children's Books for providing me with an advanced reading copy for review.

By reading The Iron Trial, the first book in the Magisterium series, I think I have signed up for a
Mizuki
Note: I am fully aware of the fact that Harry Potter is NOT the first ever YA fantasy series with 'a boy goes to a magical school' setting in it, but The Iron Trial is still a Harry Potter ripoff. It's clear as day.

And no, I'm not a Harry Potter fan, so kindly put your 'angry Harry Potter fangirl' comments on hold.

Ms. Holly Black, I'm so disappointed in you, I know you can do better than messing about with the likes of Cassandra Clare.

And believe me...being a Harry Potter ripoff is not even the
Whitney Atkinson
Jan 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very solid start to a series. I feel like there were some things that were under-explained, but overall I love the world!
Elena
Apr 01, 2013 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Can't wait to read it!

Fenia
WOW. That's my first reaction after finishing it. WOW. READ IT PEOPLE. So yes,it was similar to Harry Potter. So yes,it was REALLY similar to Harry Potter. But you know what? I haven't read a Harry Potter book for what? 7 years? So you bet your sweet as* that I loved this one!!! I missed magic ♥

I can actually imagine Cassie writing this,all happy and excited because she began her career writing HP fan-fiction,so this book is like a dream come true to her. xD I love Cassie,and i'm really pissed o
ambsreads
This review is also can be found on my blog

R A M B L E

I want to preface my ramble with the fact that I know this is basically a mash up of Percy Jackson by Rick Riordan and Harry Potter by JK Rowling. The thing is, though, those are two of my favourite series that exist. Because of that, it doesn't take a genius to work out why I loved this book.

The Iron Trial also isn't the same recycled plot line we have seen with books trying to be the next Percy Jackson or Harry Potter. This book doesn't in
Calista
I had a lot of fun reading this little book. There are some obvious comparisons to Harry Potter. The group of friends is 2 boys and a girl at a magic school, but beyond that, I don't think the comparisons go that far.

We are brought into this mysterious world of the Magisterium, a collection of mages. (Why is mage so popular? Carry On by Rainbow Rowell also uses the term Mages.) Callum is told by his father that this world is horrible and he is brought up to hate it. He tries to fail his test to
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
REVIEW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-WWG...

3.5*
It was entertaining enough and I will probably continue with the series
It felt like more of a 5 star book at the end, but since the first 200 pages were lacking, I'm sticking with a 3.5
♥ Innocent Lamb ~ Forever Reading ♥ - AKA Smarties
Congratulations for writing a book that is any way incorporated with Harry Potter fanfiction.

Congratulations for writing a book that does not have two male and one female central character(s) like a certain J.K. Rowling book I know.

Congratulations for writing a book where the male best friend is not a fun, sweet and sometimes misled guy and where the female is not a intelligent young girl because that'd be a bit too similar to Harry Potter.

Congratulations for writing a book that involves going t
Dylan Williams
Oct 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't had that much fun reading a book in a very long time, fantastic!
Juliana Zapata
Jun 02, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Es mas un 3.5 que un 3
El ritmo del libro es muy lento para mi gusto, esperaba mucha más acción y más magia, pero al igual que los personajes principales, me aburrí con el Magisterium las primeras 240 páginas, lo que es mucho teniendo en cuenta que el libro tiene 300.

Qué salvo el libro? Los giros en la trama, los descubrimientos y la acción de las últimas escenas, es como si una autora escribiera la primera parte y la otra la segunda, el ritmo y las escenas cambian rotundamente.

Reseña Completa:
Kayla Dawn
Predictable, unoriginal, boring. Absolutely boring.
Michael
Sep 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2014
4.5

This was really entertaining, if not somewhat derivative. I've got a lot too say about this one so I'll be uploading a book talk about it!
Melanie
See more reviews at YA Midnight Reads

When reading a book, one expects the following: 1) an original storyline and 2) one that will not make you fall asleep one chapter in. The Iron Trial, despite being co-written by two totally capable authors, just didn’t make 1) or 2) happen.

Harry Potter, anyone? I bet we all saw this one coming, regardless whether you’ve read the book yet or not. It’s about tweens, it’s got magic, it’s got 3 freaking kids on the front cover and in the background, the
Jessi ♥️ H. Vojsk
Actual rating: 3.6 ⭐

Story ⭐⭐⭐⭐
All his life Calls father told him how bad the Magisterium was. How people died, how his mother died because of them.
So when the day came to get into the Magisterium, Call tried really hard to fail.
But he still got a place in the strongest team of the Magisterium and begins to learn how to control magic.
A few things I could guess, but the ending, Guys 👌🏻👏🏻 that was something I haven’t seen coming.

Characters ⭐⭐⭐⭐
In the beginning I was a little bit annoyed with Ca
LENA TRAK
Oct 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, children-s
Too many similarities to the Harry Potter books... Hmmm not sure how I feel about this..

Anyway, I found the first half of the book rather boring but I have to admit I enjoyed the final 100 pages, the twist in the end was totally unpredictable.

2,5 stars for The Iron Trial!
I can't say this book lived up to my expectations 😇
  • Other Worlds
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • How to Catch a Bogle (City of Orphans, #1)
  • The Infernal Devices: Clockwork Princess (The Infernal Devices: Manga, #3)
  • Omega City (Omega City, #1)
  • The Mark of the Dragonfly (World of Solace, #1)
  • A Path Begins (The Thickety #1)
  • Winter Falls (Twin Willows, #1)
  • Firebug (Firebug, #1)
  • Five, Six, Seven, Nate! (Better Nate Than Ever, #2)
  • The Vengekeep Prophecies
  • The Blood Guard (The Blood Guard, #1)
  • Frostborn (Thrones & Bones, #1)
  • Tabula Rasa (Tabula Rasa, #1)
  • The Boundless
  • The Maelstrom (The Tapestry, #4)
Holly Black is the author of bestselling contemporary fantasy books for kids and teens. Some of her titles include The Spiderwick Chronicles (with Tony DiTerlizzi), The Modern Faerie Tale series, the Curse Workers series, Doll Bones, The Coldest Girl in Coldtown, the Magisterium series (with Cassandra Clare), The Darkest Part of the Forest, and her new series which begins with The Cruel Prince in ...more

Magisterium (5 books)
  • The Copper Gauntlet (Magisterium, #2)
  • The Bronze Key (Magisterium,  #3)
  • The Silver Mask (Magisterium #4)
  • The Golden Tower (Magisterium, #5)
“Fire wants to burn
Water wants to flow
Air wants to rise
Earth wants to bind
Chaos wants to devour
Cal wants to live”
147 likes
“They all yelled in excitement. Tamara yelled because she was happy. Aaron yelled because he liked it when other people were happy, and Call yelled because he was sure they were going to die.” 115 likes