YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

Slayer (Slayer, #1)
This topic is about Slayer
BUDDY READ:Paranormal/Fantasy > Slayer (Slayer #1) by Kiersten White - Restarting August 13th 2019

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) | 22709 comments Mod
Into every generation a Slayer is born…

Nina and her twin sister, Artemis, are far from normal. It’s hard to be when you grow up at the Watcher’s Academy, which is a bit different from your average boarding school. Here teens are trained as guides for Slayers—girls gifted with supernatural strength to fight the forces of darkness. But while Nina’s mother is a prominent member of the Watcher’s Council, Nina has never embraced the violent Watcher lifestyle. Instead she follows her instincts to heal, carving out a place for herself as the school medic.

Until the day Nina’s life changes forever.

Thanks to Buffy, the famous (and infamous) Slayer that Nina’s father died protecting, Nina is not only the newest Chosen One—she’s the last Slayer, ever. Period.

As Nina hones her skills with her Watcher-in-training, Leo, there’s plenty to keep her occupied: a monster fighting ring, a demon who eats happiness, a shadowy figure that keeps popping up in Nina’s dreams…

But it’s not until bodies start turning up that Nina’s new powers will truly be tested—because someone she loves might be next.

One thing is clear: Being Chosen is easy. Making choices is hard.

Jennifer Jones | 25 comments Counting the days until this book arrives! 🙌🏼

Jenn (tellingmelies) | 4860 comments Mod
I am so excited to be reading this!!

26%: (view spoiler)

48%: (view spoiler)

70%: (view spoiler)

Finished: (view spoiler)

message 7: by Ashleigh (new) - added it

Ashleigh | 3283 comments Chapters 1-5

(view spoiler)

message 8: by Ashleigh (new) - added it

Ashleigh | 3283 comments Chapters 6-10

(view spoiler)

Ashleigh wrote: "Chapters 6-10"

I was not a fan of Artemis or Helen. Agree with you on both of those points.

message 10: by Ashleigh (new) - added it

Ashleigh | 3283 comments Jenn wrote: "Ashleigh wrote: "Chapters 6-10"

I was not a fan of Artemis or Helen. Agree with you on both of those points."

They're really frustrating me at the moment!

Karen Barber | 10144 comments Expected to have to wait for publication, but got approved on NetGalley so can’t resist!

Karen Barber | 10144 comments Up to ch9. I’m surprised Nina isn’t more annoyed by her family.

Karen Barber | 10144 comments Up to ch18. White has just the right blend of humour and action. Loving Nina’s reaction to being in the middle of things, but don’t understand why Artemis is so prickly towards her now.

Karen Barber | 10144 comments Up to ch25. Honora...don’t like her. Maybe she’ll turn out to be doing something amazing, but I don’t think so.

Karen Barber | 10144 comments Up to ch28. Sure there’s going to be a twist...but also waiting for further scenes from Doug.

Karen Barber | 10144 comments Finished. Now, that was like the best Buffy moments all wrapped up and presented with a bow. Review on home page. Applause...

✨Skye✨ | 3161 comments Can anyone tell me if I need to be familiar with the Buffy story to get this? I only ever watched bits and pieces growing up but I have this as an arc...

message 18: by Jenn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Skye - You don't have to be. There are references and hidden gems for people who have watched the series, but the author does explain the world as though you're a newbie.

message 19: by Sierra (last edited Jan 27, 2019 01:41PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sierra Lynn | 1641 comments 25%(view spoiler)
50%(view spoiler)
75% (view spoiler)
finished (view spoiler)

✨Skye✨ | 3161 comments 27% (view spoiler)

message 21: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy Koto | 10 comments Loving this so far! I'm really connecting with Nina, but not so much with the other characters yet.

✨Skye✨ | 3161 comments 49% (view spoiler)

✨Skye✨ | 3161 comments 75%(view spoiler)

✨Skye✨ | 3161 comments Done (view spoiler)

Sarah Elizabeth (bookworm_sarah) | 83374 comments Mod
************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Date changed. Restarting August 13th 2019. Happy Reading ☺

★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★
************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Tiera McMillian (hawtmess) | 3465 comments Starting this early Jennifer! I needed an audio while I was working out and running errands so I grabbed the audio off Audible.

Jennifer | 3551 comments No prob. I started a road trip today, so I’ll prob start today too. But I won’t be able to add comments until Monday.

Tiera McMillian (hawtmess) | 3465 comments Chapter 7 (view spoiler)
Chapter 13: (view spoiler)
Chapter 19: (view spoiler)
Chapter 25: (view spoiler)
Chapter 32: (view spoiler)
Finished: (view spoiler)

Jennifer | 3551 comments Ch 8 - (view spoiler)
Ch 16 - (view spoiler)
Ch 24 - (view spoiler)
Finished - (view spoiler)

So, I actually had to look up the books by this author to double check that she didn't write the Buffy series because I was completely confused by all the references to the TV show plots. But now I get it. I think it is kind of cool too. One always wonders what happens to the characters after cancellation, this was a fun spin off / fanfiction story. I could be talked into the next one in 2020.

message 30: by Jaye (new) - rated it 1 star

Jaye Berry | 866 comments Just finished! (view spoiler)

message 31: by Jaye (new) - rated it 1 star

Jaye Berry | 866 comments The characters were SO annoying in here oh my god. (view spoiler)

message 32: by Jaye (new) - rated it 1 star

Jaye Berry | 866 comments The ending: (view spoiler)

message 33: by Jaye (new) - rated it 1 star

Jaye Berry | 866 comments (view spoiler)