What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Jasmin
This topic is about Jasmin
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Lost name of a beloved book. [s]

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Abby (new)

Abby Charchun | 8 comments Looking for a book I read in around 1982-1985 when I was kid about a girl who runs away from home and creates a life for herself in the forest. I thought the book was called Jasmine but I can't find it when I do in depth searches. The book was really great at creating beautiful imagery of surviving in the woods. I don't remember why she ran away. I want to share this book with my students. I suspect it may be out of print.

message 2: by Bobby (new)

Bobby (bobbyb-aka-plarry) | 23 comments Try Lily of the Forest by Brian McConnachie.

message 3: by Abby (new)

Abby Charchun | 8 comments That's not it. Lily of the Forest sounds more whimsical than this book. I'm sure it was a female writer.

message 4: by Bridget (new)

Bridget (oobridgetoo) | 172 comments The protagonist is male, but could it be My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George? The author is female. The boy runs away from home and lives in the mountains.

message 5: by Andria (new)

Andria (airdna) | 2500 comments Mod
Possibly A Wild Thing

links for other titles suggested in thread:

My Side of the Mountain
Lily of the Forest

message 6: by Abby (new)

Abby Charchun | 8 comments Andria wrote: "Possibly A Wild Thing
Not it - but I want to read this one! It sounds wonderful!

My Side of the Mountain
Lily of the Forest"

message 7: by Abby (new)

Abby Charchun | 8 comments Bridget wrote: "The protagonist is male, but could it be My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George? The author is female. The boy runs away from home and lives in the mountains."

It was definitely a young female protagonist. She's pretty much one of the only people in the book - at least for the bulk of the book.

Andria wrote: "Possibly A Wild Thing

My Side of the Mountain
Lily of the Forest"

Andria wrote: "Possibly A Wild Thing

My Side of the Mountain
Lily of the Forest"

message 8: by Abby (new)

Abby Charchun | 8 comments Bridget wrote: "The protagonist is male, but could it be My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George? The author is female. The boy runs away from home and lives in the mountains."

Nope - it's a female protagonist and a female writer.

message 9: by Bobby (new)

Bobby (bobbyb-aka-plarry) | 23 comments Well, stretching a bit here, but is it Julie of the Wolves by the same author?

message 10: by Abby (new)

Abby Charchun | 8 comments Bobby wrote: "Well, stretching a bit here, but is it Julie of the Wolves by the same author?"

I believe it takes place in the US. And the young girl is around 10-12 and is caucasian.

message 11: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Dacyczyn (readsintrees) | 264 comments Was it Runaway's Diary? The Runaway's Diary by Marilyn Harris

message 12: by Andria (last edited Dec 17, 2018 04:38PM) (new)

Aha, I think I found it!

Jasmin
Jasmin by Jan Truss

message 13: by Abby (new)

Abby Charchun | 8 comments Andria wrote: "Aha, I think I found it!

Jasmin
Jasmin by Jan Truss"

Ding! Ding! Ding! Thank you - amazing. I was spelling it wrong!

message 14: by Andria (new)

You're welcome! It's so satisfying to help reunite a reader with a long lost beloved book!!

message 15: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38242 comments Mod
Abby, please provide plot details (no spoilers) and the genre of the book you’re looking for in the Topic header, not something vague like "Help! can't remember this book".

This will help anyone in the future looking for the same book.

message 16: by Abby (new)

Abby Charchun | 8 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Abby, please provide plot details (no spoilers) and the genre of the book you’re looking for in the Topic header, not something vague like "Help! can't remember this book".

This will help anyone ..."

Lobstergirl wrote: "Abby, please provide plot details (no spoilers) and the genre of the book you’re looking for in the Topic header, not something vague like "Help! can't remember this book".

This will help anyone ..."

Jasmin tells the story of an alienated young woman who leaves home and in the process discovers that she is a good artist as well as a good person.Jasmin Marie Antoinette Stalke is failing the sixth grade. Burdened with the responsibilities of being the oldest child in a large, poor family, she lies awake nights staring at the stars but seeing no way to succeed. She can't do her homework because of noise from her family and the television set that is always on in the main room of their small house. Her science fair project has just been ruined by Nathaniel and Leroy's careless horsing around. She doesn't know what to do.

For solace she reaches for a treasured book of poems and becomes inspired to imitate Meg in her favorite poem: from now on she will live "as she do please". She will run away. This haunting and sensitively written story of a girl's successful search for independence will resonate with many girls of a similar age.