Graphic Novel/Manga Reading Challenge 2019 discussion

Prompt Discussions > 29. The Mindscape Challenge

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Matt (new)

Matt | 117 comments Mod
Graphic Novel or Series that focuses on an individual or group with an altered sense of reality (mental illness, substance induced, unreliable narrator ,etc)

message 2: by 47Time (new)

47Time | 51 comments I'm hoping I can find at least one comic from these lists.
6 Comics About Mental Illness
10 Comics That Can Help You Understand Mental Illness
Nine Graphic Novels and Comic Books About Mental Health

Still, please share if you have more.

PS: why do those articles all have numbers in the title?

message 3: by Matt (new)

Matt | 117 comments Mod
I'm actually a big fan of this particular niche sub-genre, so some suggestions I've read include:

Polarity - Bi-Polar Disorder

X-Men Legacy, Volume 1: Prodigal - D.I. Disorder

Kill or be Killed, Vol. 1 - Psychosis (or maybe not?)

Moon Knight, Vol. 1: Lunatic - D.I. Disorder

The Sentry: Reborn - Schizophrenia/Agoraphobia

Batman: The Killing Joke - Psychosis/Unreliable Narrarator

message 4: by Erin (new)

Erin (panelparty) I read Marbles: Mania, Depression, Michelangelo, and Me this year - it was a quick read, and great insight into how it feels to be someone with bipolar disorder.

Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic is definitely an option, and it is constantly in must-read graphic novels lists, but I didn't really enjoy it to be honest.

I wonder if a comic featuring Scarecrow would count, since doesn't he use a kind of drug to make people afraid? Would Terrigen mist from Inhumans count? (Not that I want to make anyone read an Inhumans book haha)

message 5: by Matt (new)

Matt | 117 comments Mod
I actually had not heard of Marbles before, but it looks really interesting (may have to add it to my list).

I think as long as the story is told via the perspective of someone affected by Scarecrow's toxin, that would fit just fine. And I think if you could find an inhuman book in which the character's perception of reality is altered due to Terrigen exposure that would also work; something about Maximus, Frank McGee, or even Karnak (even though he technically never went through terrigenesis).

Also, any excuse to read any of the new Inhumans books is a valid one.

message 6: by 47Time (last edited Jan 04, 2019 01:57AM) (new)

47Time | 51 comments My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness is a good fit for this prompt. You can read it online here (NSFW warning). The main character goes through several awful stages like self-mutilation, depression, an eating disorder before the very welcome happy end.