The Cemetery of Lost Books discussion

The Angel's Game > Reflection after reading the Labyrinth of Spirits

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily (new)

Emily (emz711) | 15 comments My thought about reading the 4th book and going back to the Angel's Game is that the entire story is false. Or that Martín ended the story before going back to Barcelona. But that can't be right based on Isabelle's letter and the fact that the epilogue is in 1945.
Help!!

message 2: by Badger (new)

Badger | 86 comments Emily,
I had the same reaction. After reading Labyrinth I thought maybe I'd got Angels's Game all wrong and that the whole thing was just inside David Martin's schizophrenic head. So, I re-read AG, but found that wasn't completely true either.

There are some time and event discrepancies among the books. My goal is to sit down and list them all but I haven't taken the time to do that yet. They're intriguing because they might be intentional.

In addition to this, I found an intriguing discrepancy between the Spanish and English versions of SotW. See my "Daniel Sempere Martin?" thread in The Cemetery of Lost Books discussion.

Badger

message 3: by Emily (new)

Emily (emz711) | 15 comments Yeah I'd like to do a timeline too

message 4: by Emily (new)

Emily (emz711) | 15 comments Also I have to find time to read Labyrinth over again! I went way too fast the first time

message 5: by Badger (new)

Badger | 86 comments Emily,
Me too. I hope to get some time to post some comments and questions about Labyrinth.
Guy

message 6: by Emily (new)

Emily (emz711) | 15 comments I'm starting Labyrinth over!

message 7: by Badger (new)

Badger | 86 comments Oh, I want to do that, too! So many books to read. I've come to the conclusion that Labyrinth may be the best of the 4.

message 8: by Badger (new)

Badger | 86 comments Alicia Gris might be his best character yet.

message 9: by Emily (new)

Emily (emz711) | 15 comments Ok I'm rereading and finally picked up on sugar cubes! What if David Martin's hallucinations are a reflection of victor Mataix talking about his family?
Or is Victor Mataix, Andreas Corelli? and that was the second person in the house to help in Martin's escape?

message 10: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (lauren_park) | 2 comments Emily, that is fascinating! I never even considered a link between Victor Mataix and Andreas Corelli. Where in book #4 do the sugar cubes come in, again?

I posted this discussion question last month after finishing The Labyrinth of the Spirits. I would love to have you weigh in! https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 11: by Emily (new)

Emily (emz711) | 15 comments ah i'll have to review, there's so many pages! but when the journalist is talking about Victor's father being the sugar cube emperor and he was poisoned with sugar cubes i just thought maybe there was a connection.