What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Fragile Things: Short Fictions and Wonders
This topic is about Fragile Things
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Quotation-Hunting, Pity and Color. [s]

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jim (last edited Dec 12, 2018 07:57AM) (new)

Jim | 42 comments I felt these should be easy, but I’ve been completely unable to find them–which is strange, as I feel these come from well-known books.

The first is a quotation I’ve been using for years, without ever really remembering where it comes from. The author is talking about dreams, specifically “…the way a dream can color your whole day.”

I like it because it uses color in an unusual but extremely appropriate way: it gets to the heart of what I mean when I talk about how the mood of a dream affects a person.

The second I thought was from a Sherlock Holmes story, but I don’t think so anymore. The speaker is listing qualities he doesn’t mind being attributed to him, but then he says, “But your pity–never!”

It’s an “I can take anything but your pity” quotation, but I can’t for the life of me remember where it’s from.

Anyone know these? Thanks in advance.

message 2: by SBC (new)

SBC (essbeecee) | 879 comments When I put those keywords in for the dreams quote on Google Books search there are quite a few possibilities (I also tried with the UK spelling colour), so if you haven't looked there you might like to give it a try. I couldn't find anything good for the other quote there though!

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5111 comments The second one sounds like something Cyrano de Bergerac would say.

message 4: by Jim (new)

Jim | 42 comments Rosa wrote: “The second one sounds like something Cyrano de Bergerac would say.”

It does, in fact, but I can’t find it, unfortunately. The quotation might have been well-known and simply quoted in the book I’m remembering. I seem to remember a hero, like a swashbuckler, saying it.

message 5: by Jim (new)

Jim | 42 comments SBC wrote: “When I put those keywords in for the dreams quote on Google Books search there are quite a few possibilities (I also tried with the UK spelling colour), so if you haven’t looked there you might lik…”

I have tried it, but I can try again… What are some examples? (Thank you, by the way.)

message 6: by Jim (last edited Dec 11, 2018 06:19PM) (new)

Jim | 42 comments I should also note, for the dreams quote, I don’t think the book itself had any connection to dreams. It was just–I dunno, something of a wistful aside the author put in. For some reason I don’t think the book was fiction.

message 7: by Jim (new)

Jim | 42 comments As for the second one, on pity, I think it was from a work of fiction; I’m almost positive it was English and an adventure story, but I can’t remember what, of course. One of the things the speaker might have accepted was the other person’s “contempt,” and I think the phrase “damn your” was also used–“damn your impertinence” or “damn your eyes,” something like that. Basically, he’d accept anything but the other person’s pity. It was supposed to be witty, and a found a similar (though not identical) Shaw quote about love, but that’s not it.

message 8: by Jim (new)

Jim | 42 comments Rosa (et al.)

I was able to track down the “pity” one. It comes from John Dickson Carr’s The Crooked Hinge (1935):

“I do not dwell on this part of it, for I would not have you think I am asking for pity or sympathy: the notion angers me furiously. I feel like the man in the play: Your liking I will have if I can. Your respect I will have or kill you. But your pity? Damn your impudence!”

Now if only I knew what play the character and his author were referencing!

message 9: by Mai (new)

Mai | 1220 comments The only thing I could find is from this blog post
http://andthenweallhadtea.blogspot.co...
"Funny how having a really pleasant dream just before waking up can colour your whole day, much like having an unpleasant dream can do."

The author of the blog has one published book but it's a recipe book (and a bunch of others that she calls " Cookbooklets")

message 10: by Jim (new)

Jim | 42 comments Mai wrote: “The only thing I could find is from this blog post
http://andthenweallhadtea.blogspot.co...
“Funny how having a really pleasant dream just before waking up c…”

Thanks, but not that–definitely not from a blog post or a cookbook. Thank you, though–and the quote’s close.

message 11: by Jim (new)

Jim | 42 comments 30 days again.

message 12: by Mai (new)

Mai | 1220 comments Fragile Things: Short Fictions and Wonders by Neil Gaiman?

Page 65:
"Recounting the strange is like telling one's dreams: one can communicate the events of a dream, but not the emotional content, the way that a dream can colour one's entire day"

message 13: by Jim (new)

Jim | 42 comments Aha! That may be it, Mai—I know I’ve read that book. Excellent, and thank you!

message 14: by Jim (new)

Jim | 42 comments I’ll mark this as solved.