Start by marking “Cyrano de Bergerac” as Want to Read:
Cyrano de Bergerac

Read Book* *Different edition

Cyrano de Bergerac

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  69,108 ratings  ·  1,860 reviews
This is Edmond Rostand's immortal play in which chivalry and wit, bravery and love are forever captured in the timeless spirit of romance. Set in Louis XIII's reign, it is the moving and exciting drama of one of the finest swordsmen in France, gallant soldier, brilliant wit, tragic poet-lover with the face of a clown. Rostand's extraordinary lyric powers gave birth to a un ...more
Published August 5th 2003 by Signet Classics (first published 1897)

To ask other readers questions about Cyrano de Bergerac, please sign up.
Sivoj There is no sex and no violence if that's what you mean... However the language can be difficult to grasp for the youngest so it depends on how much…moreThere is no sex and no violence if that's what you mean... However the language can be difficult to grasp for the youngest so it depends on how much vocabulary they can understand.(less)
Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëTwilight by Stephenie MeyerThe Notebook by Nicholas SparksRomeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare
Best Love Stories
4,349 books — 8,886 voters
Forrest Gump by Winston GroomThe Devil Wears Prada by Lauren WeisbergerJurassic Park by Michael CrichtonJumanji by Chris Van AllsburgMary Poppins by P.L. Travers
I Only Watched the Movie!
1,106 books — 6,038 voters

More lists with this book...

·  69,108 ratings  ·  1,860 reviews

Patrick
Apr 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in 1994, and it changed the way I thought about stories.

Up until that point in my life, the vast majority of the books I'd read were fantasy and science fiction. Many of them were good books. Many, in retrospect, were not.

Then I read Cyrano De Bergerac. For the first half of the play I was amazed at the character, I was stunned by the language. I was utterly captivated by the story.

The second half of the book broke my heart. Then it broke my heart again. I cried for hours. I
Ahmad Sharabiani
Cyrano de Bergerac, Edmond Rostand
Cyrano de Bergerac is a play written in 1897 by Edmond Rostand. There was a real Cyrano de Bergerac, and the play is a fictionalization following the broad outlines of his life. Hercule Savinien Cyrano de Bergerac, a cadet (nobleman serving as a soldier) in the French Army, is a brash, strong-willed man of many talents. In addition to being a remarkable duelist, he is a gifted, joyful poet and is also a musician. However, he has an extremely large nose, which ca
Marty Reeder
Feb 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
YET ANOTHER READING, December 15, 2009

I forced my class to read this book for their reading time, which is usually reserved for personal reading time.

They loved it.

I can't think of a better endorsement. No other book I know of can get the full enthusiasm of both an English teacher and a classroom full of stratified and unique, individual students--especially when they have been forced to read the book.

Why? Because Cyrano has a universal appeal that spans generations. Because Cyrano is funny. Bec
Manny

One of the all-time great over-the-top romances - everyone knows the story, and it's been adapted a million times. How they could have given it a happy ending in Steve Martin's "Roxanne" is beyond me. The Depardieu movie is the one to see, of course.
Debbie Zapata
Oct 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: saturdaymx
Ah, Cyrano. You never disappoint me. How many times have I read your story? How many times have I laughed, cheered, cried and sighed over you? Too many to count, and there will be many more in the future. You are my hero.

But did you know you were a real person? Wait, that sounds silly. Of course you knew that, but how did it slip my own mind? Maybe other times when I read the introductory note to Edmond Rostand's wonderful play about you, this phrase never took hold in my little pea brain: The c
Gabrielle
Updated review with notes on a few available English translations.

This is the most beautiful and most heartbreaking love story ever. I have watched the movie with Gérard Depardieu in the title role a million times, I have seen stage performances of it. It never fails to make me laugh and turn me into a sobbing mess by the last line.

Cyrano is the best swordsman of Paris; he is also the city’s greatest poet. He is as grand in deeds as he is in words, refuses prestige and the limelight, preferring
Marquise
What an entertaining and very funny swashbuckler this was! With such a lovable hero with a big nose and a bigger heart, whose wit is as ready and sharp as his rapier. Cyrano is going to make you laugh, think and feel sad with his rhymes (which, by the way, the English translation doesn't do full justice), whilst the heroine is a bit too vapid for him.

I do wish the ending hadn't been like it was, but I appreciate why it had to go down like that and how it fits Cyrano's character and shows his im
Gabrielle Dubois
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 19th-century
I just loved it! The story, the writing, the characters; the alexandrines of Edmond de Rostand are lively, right, poetic, tender, funny; to read in French, because as always, the poetry of words has it’s own music that cannot be heard in another language ... I must admit that I have a little trouble concentrating myself to write this review, because it is February the 15th, and my friendly neighbors from the Vietnamese pagoda are celebrating their new year tonight. The drums will sound until two ...more
Evan
Ah Cyrano, you of the forever-unbesmirched white plume, you who compromiseth not, you witty boastful holy heathen. You whose facial prominence was unbegotten of lies, as Pinocchio, but by the cruel capriciousness of nature, who was made very much of flesh not wood and whose human heart lay unseen under the shadow of your long disability; you seemed consigned to a certain Pinocchio-like boyhood when you wanted to be a man in full. But, ah fate! Your nose was a beacon signalling unhappiness and yo ...more
Alexa
(Originally posted here !)

I have noticed that my latest reviews are brought about by intense feelings that had to be expressed. This applies to this book VERY MUCH. You know those stories where the guy falls in love with a girl, but the girl likes someone else, and so the guy helps that someone else just for the girl’s happiness? This is like a classic version of that. It is so heartbreaking and at the same time so beautiful that I just can’t help but stop as I drink the words in. This is the k
Thomas
Oct 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Thomas by: School
"Cyrano de Bergerac" is basically about this swordsman named Cyrano, who is an amazing fighter and poet and is in love with his cousin Roxanne. The only bad thing is that Cyrano has a huge nose which keeps him from approaching Roxanne in earnest. Anyway, there's also this other guy that likes Roxanne named Christian, but although Christian has really good looks, he is a screw up with words and doesn't know how to communicate with females. Finally, there's another guy (whose already married) that ...more
Czarny Pies
May 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone finding it on the reading list of a course they are taking.
Recommended to Czarny by: Anthony Burgess
Shelves: french-lit
Cyrano de Bergerac which was first performed in 1897 was part of the last wave of versified drama. Plays in flat prose have been driving people out of theatres and into the cinemas for most of the last 80 years, but it seems that there is no turning back. Rhyming speech is unlike to ever return to drama. Hence this trite little cape and sword melodrama will probably stay in the repertory for a long time as nothing is likely to be written to replace it.

The poetic qualities of the French version a
David K. Lemons
Mar 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read "Cyrano" in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, just as things were heating up between the Arabs and the Israelis leading to the 6-Day War. What a pleasure to read the wit and romantic comedy of Rostand during such a stressful crisis. The next time I would like to read it in French, of course with a good French-English dictionary by my side.

Great literature, especially comic literature such as that of Voltaire and Shakespeare, or Wilde and Amis, can sustain us through the grimness of life.
Suad Shamma
My favorite section:

"What would you have me do?
Seek for the patronage of some great man,
And like a creeping vine on a tall tree
Crawl upward, where I cannot stand alone?
No thank you! Dedicate, as others do,
Poems to pawnbrokers? Be a buffoon
In the vile hope of teasing out a smile
On some cold face? No thank you! Eat a toad
For breakfast every morning? Make my knees
Callous, and cultivate a supple spine,-
Wear out my belly grovelling in the dust?
No thank you! Scratch the back of any swine
That roots u
Dan
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I didn't have high expectations for this classic but I was pleasantly surprised. The first half of the play can be a little slow as the characters are developed but the story and action builds throughout the remainder of the play.

Cyrano is a noble man and De Guiche is a believable villain. Roxane and Christian are more one dimensional but as the play is part farce it's not so consequential.

Well worth the read and in the public domain.

Molly
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-plus-audio
Don't we all just want to be loved how Cyrano loved?
Karen
Aug 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
while i really like the push of the plot and legitimately well-paced action and humor and glamour! i gotta admit the play kinda lost it in the end for me
first—this is my own sort of dissatisfaction w/ most books from before the 1970s/1980s that aren't explicitly labeled "feminist"—i can't help wondering what that one woman is thinking. and the other characters' views on her aren't that illuminating. i didn't hate Roxane for like the majority of the play, but cyrano ticked me off at the end w/ th
Josh Caporale
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first came across the Cyrano de Bergerac play through the 1987 film, "Roxanne," starring Steve Martin as C.D. Bales, a firefighter based on Cyrano de Bergerac with his funny-looking nose and poetic personality, while Daryl Hannah played Roxanne. I always appreciated the humor, but yet the sweet charm that Roxanne had to offer. At some point I knew I needed to get around to reading the play and now I found that great opportunity to do so. I appreciate the play for is merit and feel that it is a ...more
Sophie_The_Jedi_Knight
Well, dang. You know, I read this whole thing just so I could read We Are the Perfect Girl and not be confused. And dang, this was really good. I feel more cultured now. Time to indulge in some Cyrano de Bergerac retellings! What a sad and powerful story.

Also, the inner fangirl in me adored the Three Musketeers cameo. You have no freakin idea how much I adore classic crossovers. So, so, so much.

Also, I read We Are the Perfect Girl and it was really good. Full review on that coming soon.
Elf
Jun 25, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely despise this particular translation. As soon as I get home I'll look up who did it. But I know this cover.

It's done in bad prose which does not suit this heart-wrenching play at all.

Stay away from this translation and either pick up a copy in the original french or try Brian Hooker's translation.
I can't believe I've not read this play before. The movie with Gerard Depardieu as Cyrano was great.

Cyrano de Bergerac - swordsman, philosopher, poet - has one huge problem that's as plain as the nose on his face.
Zadignose
Jul 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 19th-century
Once upon a time, I read many great books, loved them, and completely failed to write anything resembling a review or a reflection. I suck.

Hail Cyrano.
Ellen
Mar 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
“What would you have me do?
Seek for the patronage of some great man,
And like a creeping vine on a tall tree
Crawl upward, where I cannot stand alone?
No thank you! Dedicate, as others do,
Poems to pawnbrokers? Be a buffoon
In the vile hope of teasing out a smile
On some cold face? No thank you! Eat a toad
For breakfast every morning? Make my knees
Callous, and cultivate a supple spine,-
Wear out my belly groveling in the dust?
No thank you! Scratch the back of any swine
That roots up gold for me? Tickle
Jerry
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Other than Harry Potter and the Cursed Child and the Fantastic Beasts screenplay, this is the first play I've read since high school, and likely the oldest outside of Shakespeare and Sophocles. However, I enjoyed this one; maybe I should read more classic stage plays.
Jacob
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic, movie_or_tv
This classic was more fun to read than I expected! Yay for more witty repartee, impassioned poetry and action, and tragedy than I remember from the movie. Then again, I can appreciate a lot of it more, especially the poetry and tragedy, now that I am older. And possibly more mature.

It's impossible not to see myself in the title character. Maybe I'm his unknown and less talented cousin, with some wit and some skill, yet lacking the nose to receive as much attention and notoriety.

"Pastry pays for
A
Jul 17, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: plays
oh! heartwrenchingly wonderful! to love someone from afar and to return to them when you're dying to confess of your love! those final scences are matchless!--where roxanne is sewing away in her convent and cyrano comes, fighting death to reveal that "how many things have died and are now newborn? why were you silent for so many years? all the while those letters, every night on my breast, YOUR TEARS! you knew they were your tears!" oh man oh man. *sigh*
Morgan
Jun 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Watching the movie helped me with this play. My edition was a little hard to follow with the lines all over the place. I liked the beginning of this play, but then it gets boring by the middle of the third act (exactly where the movie got boring). This isn't a bad play, but the story is pretty predicable because it's become so well known.
Holly
Feb 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
I read this along with my daughter. The first act didn't grab me but after that I really enjoyed it. I didn't like Cyrano at first then I grew to admire him. He had integrity. He was true to Christian. It is a sweet sad love story.
Letitia
Aug 20, 2007 rated it it was amazing
The beauty of language is the perfect pedestal on which to mount this fantastic tragi-comedy about the true nature of love, fidelity, and honor. Such a fantastically rich play!

• Le Bourgeois Gentilhomme
  • The Book of Deeds of Arms and of Chivalry
  • Amadeus
  • The Lion in Winter
  • Antigone
Edmond Eugène Alexis Rostand was a French poet and dramatist.

Rostand is associated with neo-romanticism, and is best known for his play "Cyrano de Bergerac". Rostand's romantic plays provided an alternative to the naturalistic theatre popular during the late 19th century. One of Rostand's works, "Les Romanesques", has been adapted as the highly successful musical comedy "The Fantasticks".

Rostand b
“A kiss is a secret which takes the lips for the ear.” 1387 likes
“A great nose may be an index
Of a great soul”