Goodreads Choice Awards Book Club discussion

Archive - Buddy Reads 2019 > General Buddy Read Requests

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 5946 comments Mod
What is a "buddy read"?

A "buddy read" is when one or more persons agree to read a book with you, that isn't a scheduled group book of the month (and therefore not run by one of the group moderators - we however may join in with a buddy read)

The rules are there are pretty much no rules. You just need one other member to read the book with you. Then it's up to you to decide when and how.
No restrictions on dates, no restrictions on how long it takes to read, no restrictions on how you discuss the book (you can have a set schedule, you can discuss as you read or you can discuss at the end). It's all up to you!

What to do
Comment below which book you'd like to read and if someone(s) wants to join you, work out when you'd like to start.

Once agreed, start your own thread to discuss the book (the moderators will not do this for you). You can do this by doing the following:

- Click on this link: Buddy Reads 2019
- Click on 'new topic' at the top right of the of the list
- Fill in the 'topic field' with Book Title and Start Date
- (Optional) Type the book in 'this topic is about field'
- Keep 'folder field' as Buddy Reads
- Fill in the 'comment field' with details about your buddy read - e.g. what the book is, book summary, reading schedule (if any), use or non use of spoiler tags*
*Above are examples, you don't have to do any of these (remember there are no rules) and you can add your own ideas.

message 2: by Persephone6 (last edited Dec 25, 2018 09:49PM) (new)

Persephone6 (psychebooks) | 137 comments So I have a few books I want read in January...Anyone want to buddy read one of these? Illuminae (The Illuminae Files, #1) by Amie Kaufman The Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri Muse of Nightmares (Strange the Dreamer, #2) by Laini Taylor Attack of the Fiend (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #4) by Joseph Delaney Camp Half-Blood Confidential (The Trials of Apollo, #2.5) by Rick Riordan Brooklyn House Magician's Manual (The Kane Chronicles) by Rick Riordan 9 From the Nine Worlds (Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard) by Rick Riordan A Breath of Snow and Ashes (Outlander, #6) by Diana Gabaldon The Sixth Extinction An Unnatural History by Elizabeth Kolbert The Element How Finding Your Passion Changes Everything by Ken Robinson

message 3: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 834 comments I will be reading The Woman in the Window The Woman in the Window by A.J. Finn (the book is on sale for $4.99!) in January. Does anyone want to join me? I am open to the start date.

message 4: by Persephone6 (new)

Persephone6 (psychebooks) | 137 comments Anyone want to read Bridge of Clay Bridge of Clay by Markus Zusak ? I just read Zusak's The Book Thief and it was really good so I thought I might read something else by him.

Marythios (AkaSusanne ) | 296 comments I would be interested in it at a later time. I am sort of booked at the moment with the books for January to fulfill me challenges.

message 6: by Persephone6 (new)

Persephone6 (psychebooks) | 137 comments I have a lot for January as well so it's not a problem if we start later. How about we schedule the book for February?

message 7: by Bub (new)

Bub | 49 comments Vicki Willis wrote: "I will be reading The Woman in the Window The Woman in the Window by A.J. Finn (the book is on sale for $4.99!) in January. Does anyone want to join me? I am open to the sta..."

I’ll join you for that one, but I don’t have it yet. I’m thinking that it will come in mid January. Is that ok?

Marythios (AkaSusanne ) | 296 comments Persephone6 wrote: "I have a lot for January as well so it's not a problem if we start later. How about we schedule the book for February?" That sounds good to me.

message 9: by Persephone6 (new)

Persephone6 (psychebooks) | 137 comments Awesome :) I just set up the thread so it's all ready to go.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 10: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 834 comments Bub wrote: "Vicki Willis wrote: "I will be reading The Woman in the Window The Woman in the Window by A.J. Finn (the book is on sale for $4.99!) in January. Does anyone want to join me?..."

Hi! Yes, that would be great. How about January 21? Maybe others can join when it comes.

message 11: by Bub (new)

Bub | 49 comments Vicki Willis wrote: "Bub wrote: "Vicki Willis wrote: "I will be reading The Woman in the Window The Woman in the Window by A.J. Finn (the book is on sale for $4.99!) in January. Does anyone want..."
January 21st should be perfect! Thank you!

message 12: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 87 comments Would anyone be interested in reading Red Sister this month or next?

message 13: by Persephone6 (new)

Persephone6 (psychebooks) | 137 comments Jenna wrote: "Would anyone be interested in reading Red Sister this month or next?"

Yes! Love to join; I can start as soon as I get the book for the library so maybe a couple of days.

message 14: by Persephone6 (new)

Persephone6 (psychebooks) | 137 comments I just picked this up from the library so I can start today! Do want to set up the thread or should I? :)

message 15: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 87 comments Great, I’m super excited to get started!

If you’re willing to start the thread, that’d be great. Thank you!

message 16: by Persephone6 (new)

message 17: by DanNa (new)

DanNa Dana | 12 comments Would anyone be interested in reading The Death of Mrs. Westaway by Ruth Ware?

Please see below a link for the book:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

message 18: by Renee (new)

Renee | 11 comments Hi. Im interested. What time frame are u looking at?

message 19: by DanNa (new)

DanNa Dana | 12 comments Renee wrote: "Hi. Im interested. What time frame are u looking at?"

Hi Rene, I'm flexible. I've already started the book but I'm not too far into it. I was thinking maybe a few weeks?

message 20: by Ioana (new)

Ioana Hi!! I’d be interested in reading The Death of Mrs. Westaway!

When were you looking to start? :)

- Ioana

message 21: by DanNa (new)

DanNa Dana | 12 comments Ioana wrote: "Hi!! I’d be interested in reading The Death of Mrs. Westaway!

When were you looking to start? :)

- Ioana"

Hi Ioana, I was thinking to start as soon as possible :) I already have the book so it depends on you, if you need to buy it or if you're listening to audio :)

message 22: by Renee (new)

Renee | 11 comments Sounds good. Im finishing a book for a book club meeting on weds. Should start b4 then. Im new to this so how does it work..

message 23: by Renee (new)

Renee | 11 comments I also just happen to pick up the book at the library the other day so im ready. :)

message 24: by Renee (new)

Renee | 11 comments Sorry i thought u were talking to me, renee

message 25: by DanNa (new)

DanNa Dana | 12 comments Renee wrote: "Sorry i thought u were talking to me, renee"

No problem, I've created a new topic with the name of the book and 12th Jan as the start date, so we can discuss it as we go along. I am new at this too but we will figure it out :)

message 26: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 834 comments I am going to be reading All-American Murder: The Rise and Fall of Aaron Hernandez, the Superstar Whose Life Ended on Murderers' Row All-American Murder The Rise and Fall of Aaron Hernandez, the Superstar Whose Life Ended on Murderers' Row by James Patterson starting April 6. Is anyone interested in buddy reading?

Also, I want to read The Cabin at the End of the World by Paul Tremblay The Cabin at the End of the World in April and am open as far as dates. Anyone?

message 27: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 14 comments I’m interested in buddyreading the cabin at the end of the world and open to dates, but preferably not 16-23 april.

message 28: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 834 comments @Claire Can you start April 8? Does that work for you?

message 29: by Claire (last edited Mar 30, 2019 01:06PM) (new)

Claire  | 14 comments Vicki Willis wrote: "@Claire Can you start April 8? Does that work for you?"

Yes, that works for me. Do we set up a thread or how to do?

message 30: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 834 comments Great Claire! I will create a thread.

message 31: by Persephone6 (last edited Apr 02, 2019 10:53PM) (new)

Persephone6 (psychebooks) | 137 comments Anyone interested in reading Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff? Illuminae (The Illuminae Files, #1) by Amie Kaufman

message 32: by Bub (new)

Bub | 49 comments Sure, I'll give it a go.

message 33: by Persephone6 (last edited May 05, 2019 11:42PM) (new)

Persephone6 (psychebooks) | 137 comments Bub wrote: "Sure, I'll give it a go."

Sounds good :) When you want to start?

message 34: by Indica (new)

Indica (indica13) | 1 comments Would anyone be interested in reading Kingdom of Ash with me? I'm finishing up Tower of Dawn and would really like a buddy for the last book. ❤️

message 35: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 87 comments Indica wrote: "Would anyone be interested in reading Kingdom of Ash with me? I'm finishing up Tower of Dawn and would really like a buddy for the last book. ❤️"

I'm currently reading Kingdom of Ash and plan to post my thoughts on the group thread:

message 36: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Thanks for linking, Jenna.

Indica, there is no need for a buddy read of Kingdom of Ash because it is a group read this month. Hopefully, there will be discussion in the thread that Jenna linked. Please join the discussion and add your thoughts there.

message 37: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 87 comments Anyone interested in buddy reading I Know Who You Are in the next few weeks or The Huntress next month?

message 38: by Persephone6 (new)

Persephone6 (psychebooks) | 137 comments Yes :) I'm interested in I Know Who You Are. I can start in a few days when my library book comes in, Jenna.

message 39: by Persephone6 (new)

Persephone6 (psychebooks) | 137 comments It is at the library now so I can start whenever...

Marythios (AkaSusanne ) | 296 comments I want to read The Huntress in July I already have it and plan to pull it out to read.

message 41: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 87 comments Persephone6 wrote: "It is at the library now so I can start whenever..."

Great, want to get started today? I've added a new topic for it here:

message 42: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 87 comments Susanne wrote: "I want to read The Huntress in July I already have it and plan to pull it out to read."

Hi Susanne, I'm thinking about starting The Huntress around July 8th, would that work for you for a buddy read? I read The Alice Network a few months ago and really enjoyed it. I'm really excited to read her newest book!

Marythios (AkaSusanne ) | 296 comments Jenna wrote: "Susanne wrote: "I want to read The Huntress in July I already have it and plan to pull it out to read."

Hi Susanne, I'm thinking about starting The Huntress around July 8th, would ..."

Yes that would work for me.

message 44: by Bub (new)

Bub | 49 comments I’ll try to the huntress buddy read

message 45: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Aug 31, 2019 01:52PM) (new)

It's been so quiet here this summer! I'm sure we've all been off doing summer things. I know I've been busy! I am planning to read The Great Alone starting either tomorrow or the next day. I know it isn't much notice, but is anyone interested in joining me?

The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah

message 46: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4069 comments Mod
Already read it and loved it, hope you do too :)

message 47: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Aug 31, 2019 02:05PM) (new)

Also, did anyone get around to The Huntress The Huntress by Kate Quinn buddy read? I'm expecting it from the library in November (library estimates 10 weeks), so if any of you haven't read it yet and would like to join me then just let me know.

message 48: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Thanks, Lynn. I’m really looking forward to it.

Marythios (AkaSusanne ) | 296 comments Kristie wrote: "Also, did anyone get around to The Huntress The Huntress by Kate Quinn buddy read? I'm expecting it from the library in November (library estimates 10 weeks), so if any of yo..."
I have it and did not read it yet. I was suppose to for the buddy read and took my break so I am open to read it then.

message 50: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Sounds good, Susanne! Can we pick a date when we get a little closer so I have a better idea of when I’ll have the book? I can start a thread for it with just a general November status for now if that works for you.

« previous 1