Around the World in 80 Books discussion

Translated Language Challenge > Rules for Translated Language Challenge

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (last edited Dec 04, 2019 07:06PM) (new)

Diane | 12805 comments The rules are very simple. The object of the challenge is to read translated books from multiple non-English languages. You will start a thread in this folder to chart your progress. How many books from different original languages will you read?

Levels:
Language Learner: Read translated books from 1-5 different languages
Translator: Read translated books from 6-10 different languages
Interpreter: Read translated books from 11-15 different languages
Linguist: Read translated books from 16-20 different languages
Polyglot: Read translated books from >20 different languages
Omniglot: Read translated books from >25 different languages

message 2: by Mome_Rath (new)

Mome_Rath | 1250 comments Wow -- this sounds like a fun challenge! I guess the only question I have is one that had been rumbling around in my head for the translated literature genre challenge: where exactly does folklore fall in this challenge? Ostensibly the oral tradition of groups such as Pacific islanders and Native Americans that appears in print in English was first told in their native languages. At what point does the translation count for this challenge?

message 3: by Viji (last edited Dec 09, 2018 08:40PM) (new)

Viji | 81 comments Thanks a lot for this nice challenge.

message 4: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane | 12805 comments Mome_Rath wrote: "Wow -- this sounds like a fun challenge! I guess the only question I have is one that had been rumbling around in my head for the translated literature genre challenge: where exactly does folklore ..."

Some of those books would definitely count. Usually the compiler is acting as a translator and editor, so they would be translated in that case.

message 5: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Lobos (yuilobos) | 3 comments Wow!! it's the perfect challenge for me... I already have a lot of translated books in my to-read list!

message 6: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 122 comments I was planning on focusing on Translated Lit in 2019 so I’m definitely up for this challenge!

message 7: by Verena (new)

Verena (verb1) | 25 comments Great idea for a challenge! However, I'm mostly interested in reading non-translated books written in languages I'm learning--Are there (plans for) any challenges about reading non-English/non-[insert native language] literature, or would it be possible to combine translated and non-translated foreign language books in this challenge? :-)

message 8: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane | 12805 comments Verena wrote: "Great idea for a challenge! However, I'm mostly interested in reading non-translated books written in languages I'm learning--Are there (plans for) any challenges about reading non-English/non-[ins..."

I didn't really think about that, Verena. I guess you can include books written in a language other than your native language.

message 9: by Verena (new)

Verena (verb1) | 25 comments Thank you, Diane!

message 10: by Story (new)

Story (storyheart) This sounds exciting!

message 11: by Karen (new)

Karen (karinlib) | 504 comments Diane, great challenge.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Sounds like a perfect challenge for me. I am taking a class entitled Masterpieces of Continental Fiction. We're going to read Madame Bovary, Anna Karenina, and more.

message 13: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane | 12805 comments Patricia wrote: "Sounds like a perfect challenge for me. I am taking a class entitled Masterpieces of Continental Fiction. We're going to read Madame Bovary, Anna Karenina, and more."

Sounds like an awesome class. Anna Karenina is one of my favorites.

message 14: by 〰️Beth〰️ (new)

〰️Beth〰️ (x1f4a0bethx1f4a0) | 18 comments Great idea.

message 15: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 19 comments Does the book need to list a translator in order to count? One of the books on my TBR list, Therapy by Fitzek, looks like it was originally written in German and then several years later released in English. But it does not list a translator on it. Can I assume that books like this count or should I always look for a translators name?

message 16: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane | 12805 comments Lisa wrote: "Does the book need to list a translator in order to count? One of the books on my TBR list, Therapy by Fitzek, looks like it was originally written in German and then several years later released i..."

No, it doesn't. A lot of the books have translators, but they aren't listed in the descriptions.

message 17: by Samanta (new)

Samanta   (almacubana) | 13 comments Hi! Is this going to be available in 2020? Thank you!

message 18: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane | 12805 comments Samanta wrote: "Hi! Is this going to be available in 2020? Thank you!"

Yes

message 19: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane | 12805 comments I added an additional category for 2020 for the overachievers in the group. :)

message 20: by Mome_Rath (new)

Mome_Rath | 1250 comments Diane wrote: "I added an additional category for 2020 for the overachievers in the group. :)"

Oh -- something to look forward to!

message 21: by Sanne (new)

Sanne (sanneennas) | 71 comments oh love this challenge! I'm trying to get my 25 languages this year (only one more to go!), but I have a question about next year's challenge: do you make a new topic, or do you keep your old 2019 one and add to that? What's the etiquette here?

message 22: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane | 12805 comments Sanne wrote: "oh love this challenge! I'm trying to get my 25 languages this year (only one more to go!), but I have a question about next year's challenge: do you make a new topic, or do you keep your old 2019 ..."

Hi, Sanne! Go ahead and start a new topic for your 2020 challenge.

message 23: by Jovan (new)

Jovan (iovan) | 161 comments As I read most books in Serbian, can I participate with translated books from various languages?

message 24: by 〰️Beth〰️ (last edited Feb 29, 2020 11:50AM) (new)

〰️Beth〰️ (x1f4a0bethx1f4a0) | 18 comments Wow, not sure how I missed this last year this was my personal goal in 2019. I will list my reads from 2019 then start new list for 2020 onward. I do not see a time limit and I have over 150 translated books as of today that that I am interested in reading.

📚2019📚 Read 20 books

The Golden Ass Ancient Greece
The Question of Red Indonesia
The Name of the Rose Italy
The Time Regulation Institute Turkey
Only One Life Denmark
The Green Phoenix: A Novel of the Woman Who Re-Made Asia, Empress Xiaozhuang China
Norwegian Wood Japan
Mating Birds South Africa
Her Mother's Mother's Mother and Her Daughters Brazil
Monkey: A Journey to the West China
The Best We Could Do Vietnam
The Fat Years: A Novel China
The Emissary Japan
Memories of My Melancholy Whores Columbia
Americanah Nigeria
The Old Drift Zambia
Beautiful Darkness France
The Memory Police Japan
My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry Sweden
All the Names Portugal

The Golden Ass by ApuleiusThe Question of Red by Laksmi PamuntjakThe Name of the Rose by Umberto EcoThe Time Regulation Institute by Ahmet Hamdi TanpınarOnly One Life (Louise Rick #3) by Sara BlaedelThe Green Phoenix A Novel of the Woman Who Re-Made Asia, Empress Xiaozhuang by Alice PoonNorwegian Wood by Haruki MurakamiMating Birds by Lewis NkosiHer Mother's Mother's Mother and Her Daughters by Maria José SilveiraMonkey A Journey to the West by David KherdianThe Best We Could Do by Thi BuiThe Fat Years A Novel by Chan KoonchungThe Emissary by Yōko TawadaMemories of My Melancholy Whores by Gabriel García MárquezAmericanah by Chimamanda Ngozi AdichieThe Old Drift by Namwali SerpellBeautiful Darkness by Fabien VehlmannThe Memory Police by Yōko OgawaMy Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry by Fredrik BackmanAll the Names by José Saramago

Omniglot January 2020- ongoing

📚2020📚 2 Read

Include Me Out Argentina 2/24/20
A Drop of Midnight: A Memoir Sweden 2/29/20

Include Me Out by María Sonia CristoffA Drop of Midnight A Memoir by Jason Diakité

message 25: by 〰️Beth〰️ (new)

〰️Beth〰️ (x1f4a0bethx1f4a0) | 18 comments Reserved for extra. Space as needed

message 26: by 〰️Beth〰️ (last edited Feb 28, 2020 07:48AM) (new)

〰️Beth〰️ (x1f4a0bethx1f4a0) | 18 comments Jovan wrote: "As I read most books in Serbian, can I participate with translated books from various languages?"

I am not the moderator so I can not answer the question but personally I would love to see what books have been translated into Serbian.

In addition could you suggest some Serbian authors that might have works translated into English?

message 27: by Jovan (new)

Jovan (iovan) | 161 comments Let me think of it and get back to you.

message 28: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane | 12805 comments Jovan wrote: "As I read most books in Serbian, can I participate with translated books from various languages?"

Yes

message 29: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Shahin | 3 comments ive started that challenge a couple of years ago and now ive reached 13 languages.. it's beautiful well rounded experiences

message 30: by 〰️Beth〰️ (new)

〰️Beth〰️ (x1f4a0bethx1f4a0) | 18 comments Sarah wrote: "ive started that challenge a couple of years ago and now ive reached 13 languages.. it's beautiful well rounded experiences"

I agree Sarah. It has been wonderful to find new authors and new perspectives.

message 31: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 827 comments Should we count the language in which the book was originally written or the language from which our edition was translated? I'm planning on reading Ismail Kadare's The Concert. I believe the original language is Albanian. However, the English language version is translated from the French translation of the original. :-)

message 32: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane | 12805 comments Cheryl wrote: "Should we count the language in which the book was originally written or the language from which our edition was translated? I'm planning on reading Ismail Kadare's The Concert. I beli..."

Either is fine.