Start by marking “Memories of My Melancholy Whores” as Want to Read:
Memories of My Melancholy Whores

Memories of My Melancholy Whores

3.60  ·  Rating details ·  62,216 ratings  ·  3,782 reviews
Memories of My Melancholy Whores is Gabriel García Márquez’s first work of fiction in ten years, written at the height of his powers, the Spanish edition of which Ilan Stavans called, “Masterful. Erotic. As hypnotizing as it is disturbing” (Los Angeles Times).

On the eve of his ninetieth birthday, our unnamed protagonist–an undistinguished journalist and lifelon
Mass Market Paperback, First Vintage International Open-Market Edition, 115 pages
Published November 2006 by Vintage International (first published October 19th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Memories of My Melancholy Whores, please sign up.
Miss Lola Bold that you'd call Gabriel García Márquez, a Nobel Prize in Literature winner and one of the most beloved writers of all time, especially in Latin…moreBold that you'd call Gabriel García Márquez, a Nobel Prize in Literature winner and one of the most beloved writers of all time, especially in Latin America, a pedophile. But I'll bite.

The reaction to this novella, from what I've heard, was rather positive. I know it has a film adaptation and I found a copy of it in a university research library once under "great literature".

Márquez seemed to be concerned in his writing with the human condition and all of its ugliness. He presented unpleasant or tumultuous relationships, such as those with age gaps or incest. He employed taboo subjects so that readers might step back and think critically about his novels, and subsequently, their worlds.

I know that throughout his career, he was surprised at the sheer amount of people who took his stories at face value. This novel, in particular, seems to be a work of commentary, not a love story. The old man becomes obsessed with this young girl while she is asleep and the love letters he publishes about her speak to the masses. The bitter, semi-libertine, unromantic protagonist becomes The Maestro of Love. It is a subversive sleeping beauty fairytale. After all, a girl who is sleeping cannot be truly known or consent to sex.

In my own humble opinion, this book is a call to the audience to re-examine the way we consume stories. I understand, however, that whenever the word "love" is involved alongside beautiful prose, someone's bound to senselessly and shamelessly romanticize it.

So, in short, I wouldn't say this novel was written by a pedophile. It was written by a journalist.(less)

·  62,216 ratings  ·  3,782 reviews

Start your review of Memories of My Melancholy Whores
Petra-XoPlanet
To enjoy this book you have to enter the mind and world of this old, old man, living the last years of his life in poverty in the once-grand, decaying house of his youth. His career never rose above second-rate reporter, he never married and never even fell in love. His personal relationships with women were limited to the whores he paid for. A most unfulfilled life.

But then, for a present for his 90th birthday, he gives himself a 14 year-old virgin, a would-be whore. Exhausted from
Jayson
(B+) 77% | Good
Notes: The premise is interesting and the text is beautifully written, but the story’s thin and the ending’s a bit disappointing.
Ahmad Sharabiani
Memoria de mis putas tristes = Memories of My Melancholy Whores, Gabriel García Márquez
Memories of My Melancholy Whores, is a novella by Gabriel García Márquez. The book was originally published in Spanish in 2004, with an English translation by Edith Grossman published in October 2005. An old journalist, who has just celebrated his 90th birthday, seeks sex with a young prostitute, who is selling her virginity to help her family. Instead of sex, he discovers love for the first time in his life.
Kelly
This is it everyone- The most depressing book I have read. Ever. Yes. This book. Not the ones about the holocaust, brutal wars, awful diseases... this book. About an old man who has only ever slept with whores. I don't know why it got to me like it did, but I would read a few pages and feel physically sick to my stomach. It's not the subject matter (it's interesting), it's not the writing (he's Marquez)... it's just this sense of awfulness. This awful awful life he's lead, and what he has never ...more
Steven Godin
2.5/5
After getting the cringing fingernails down a chalkboard type feeling of a ninety-year-old man with a boner eradicated from my mind, I thought to myself "right, now that's out the way, this IS García Márquez we are talking about here, I am in safe hands, don't worry, this will turn out to be a decent read". Or at least that's what I'd hoped.

This novella is narrated by an aging connoisseur of girls for hire. After spending a lifetime getting it on with prostitutes (514 of them to be p
Ahmad Sharabiani
Memories of My Melancholy Whores is a novella by Gabriel García Márquez. The book was originally published in Spanish in 2004. An old journalist, who has just celebrated his 90th birthday, seeks sex with a young prostitute, who is selling her virginity to help her family. Instead of sex, he discovers love for the first time in his life.
خاطرات روسپيان سودازده من ؛ مترجم: اميرحسين فطانت
عنوانها:
Mohammed-Makram

دراما عبثية أخرى عن عجوز بلغ التسعين و لم يتزوج أبدا و لم يتحمل أي مسئولية. بل لم يدرك أن عليه ذلك إلا متأخرا جدا.
قلت لها: يبدو أنني بدأت أشيخ. تنهدت هي: نحن شخنا بالفعل. لكن الأمر إن الواحد منا لا يشعر بالشيخوخة من الداخل و لكن من الخارج كل العالم يراها.
و لأنه أنفق حياته في الملذات بالطول و العرض و لم يع أن وجود شريكة لحياته من الأمور المهمة إلا في الفراش فقد كانت الحقيقة الكاشفة أن الروح لا تصدأ أبدا و أن الجسد يبلى و القلب ما زال أخضرا على عوده
منذ ذلك الوقت بدأت أقيس الحياة ليس بالسنوات و لكن بالععوده
جدا.
Mutasim Billah
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: colombia
"The year I turned ninety, I wanted to give myself the gift of a night of wild love with an adolescent virgin."

Love him, hate him. You got to give García Márquez some credit: The man can write an opening line. And so begins an intriguing story of a man who finally falls in love at the ripe age of 90 with a 14-year-old prostitute. If you're familiar with García Márquez's oeuvre of work, prostitution and underage sex would be just a walk in the park for most. However, I must warn you of these the
Glenn Sumi
A Latin-American "Lolita" Lite or: Don't Let The Title Scare You (This Isn't A Dirty Old Man Book)

It’s been years since I've read anything by Gabriel García Márquez, and so this little book, while not as grand, sweeping or substantial as the works that earned him the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1982, came as a lovely, gentle surprise.

Reading it felt like catching up with a grizzled old friend who can tell a mean story. García Márquez’s seductive writing has a perfumed air of no
Agir(آگِر)
پیرمردی که می خواهد جشن نود سالگی اش را با شکوه برگزار کند تا طعم تلخ تنهایی را فراموش کند
او گوشی را بر میدارد و زنگ می زند. زن پشت تلفن، پیرمرد را بیاد می آورد و پیرمرد آنچه را میخواسته، به او میگوید
همه چیز خوب پیش می رود و پیرمرد گوشی را میگذارد.قرار است برای شب تولدش، با دختری 14 ساله و باکره همخوابگی کند
ولی این هوس با هوس های دیگر سال های جوانی و میانسالی اش فرق دارد
و این بار عشق است که هوس را به زانو در می آورد

زندگی هدیه تولد غیر منتظره ای برای پیرمرد دارد
درک زیبایی زن
Dream.m
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel
5 of 5 stars

گویند عشق آتشی است که در قلب واقع شود و محبوب را بسوزد . عشق دریای بلاست و جنون اهلی است و قیام قلب است با معشوق بلا واسطه. عشق مهمترین رکن طریقت است که آخرین مرتبت آن عشق پاک است و این مقام را تنها انسان کامل که مراتب ترقی و تکامل را پیموده است درک می کند.
داستان فوق العاده کامل و منسجمی بود از مارکز که من خیلی قلمشون رو دوست دارم . شخصیت پردازی هم بنظرم تقریبا بدون نقص بود ، توصیفات برای اینکه خودت رو در موقعیت روانی و فیزیکی داستان حس کنی هم کامل و ایده آل
Ninoska Goris
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leido-2017
Español - English

Este señor sin nombre nunca se ha enamorado, pero sí ha tenido mucho sexo casual, casi siempre con prostitutas. Mantiene una larga relación de negocios con la dueña del prostíbulo que frecuenta. Es por esto que en la víspera de sus noventa años la llama y le solicita algo inusual: quiere celebrar su cumpleaños con una jovencita que sea virgen.

Nunca se ha casado ni ha hecho grandes cambios en su vida: vive en la casa de su familia donde se crió y tiene su trabajo de
Hilda
Jan 27, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really didn't like this story. The writing as always was wonderful - the descriptions, the language, the character development - all excellent. The story however was extremely disturbing and sad.

Chapter 1 in particular, when the narrator describes how upon turning 90 he decided he wanted to have sex with a young virgin was appalling. Then the local madam finds a 14 year old, poor, illiterate girl for him. He goes to see her and finds her asleep because she had been so afraid she had to be sed
فايز غازي Fayez Ghazi
- هل احب جابرييل جارسيا قصة "الجميلات النائمات" لهذه الدرجة؟ هل بقيت امنيته في ان يكون كاتب تلك القصة غصة في حلقه؟ ام انه اصابه الهوس بها فأسقطها على حياته (او حياة بطله) وعاشها ليحس بتلك اللذة؟!!.. لا ادري..

- الفكرة هي ذاتها من "الجميلات النائمات"، لكنها هنا تطفو على السطح، بدون اي عمق او بعد... رشّ عليها الكثير من الواقعية الوجودية، وزينها بذكرياتٍ تنتقل بين عاهرة واخرى!!

- هل عرف الحب عند بلوغه التسعين عاماً؟! ايمكن لمن عاش بين احضان العاهرات ان يبقى بمقدوره ان يحب! ام
Salma
May 04, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
قرأتها قبل سنوات
و لم يخطر لي أن أضيفها لقائمة كتبي
ربما لأني لم أكن أعتبرها شيئا على الإطلاق حتى أذكره
حتى فتحت بالصدفة صفحة الرواية و ذهلت من الحديث عنها، بل من أني قد كنت قرأتها فعلا و كل هذه الأمور الساحرة و الجميلة التي يتحدثون عنها لم أشعر بها... أذكر كل ما شعرت منها هو أنها أذتني...0
القالب الذي وضعت فيه مؤذ... الفكرة مؤذية... رؤيا المؤلف للحياة بحد ذاتها جعلتني أكره الحياة و أود لو أخرج من جلدي و لو صدقت هذه الرؤيا لأصبت بالنقمة على البشرية...0
لم أعد أذكر التفاص
ميقات الراجحي
كنت أقول دومًا أن ثمة أعمال يحصل بينها وبين أعمال أخرى تلاقي / تقارب من الأفكار لا أتحدث عن السطو والسرقة - رغم وجود هذا الشيء - بل أتحدث عن تناغم بين كتابين بطريقة خفية، أو بواسطة إلهام من كتاب سابق يناقش الكتاب الذي بين يديك مثلًًا، وعندما كتب
ياسوناري كواباتا / Yasunari Kawabata

روايته / : والتي وصلتنا بترجمتها (الجميلات النائمات / ) وهى رواية غريبة الموضوع وأعتقد الغرابة تكمن عندي من إختلا
فؤاد
دیدگاه صمیمی و روشن و در عین حال، شدیداً شاعرانه ی گابریل گارسیا مارکز، همیشه من رو به تحسین و شگفتی وا میداره.
بین نویسنده های وطنی، رایج شده که هر کس بخواد دیدی روشنفکرانه و عمیق به زندگی داشته باشه، حتماً باید این دید تاریک و تلخ باشه. مارکز نشون میده که میشه بدون تلخ اندیشی و بدون دپرس کردن خواننده، دیدی عمیق - و زیبا - به زندگی داشت. تا جایی که حتا وقتی از وحشت از مرگ سخن میگه، شما رو با شیرین ترین و رنگارنگ ترین رؤیاها رو به رو میکنه.

رمان رو میتونید از اینجا دانلود کنید:
fคrຊคຖ.tຖ
توی ذوقم خورد و دوستش نداشتم: پیرمرد نود ساله و باکرهی ۱۴ ساله! اگه عشقه چرا یک زن میانسال یا حتی جوان (سی یا بیست ساله) نباشه؟ اگه میشد امتیاز منفی داد تردید نمیکردم! ...more
Ian "Marvin" Graye
Immortified

I’ve wondered for a long time how to talk to you about this. How to explain myself, if such a thing is necessary or possible. Should I even bother? Would you understand? Will you be able to see things from my point of view? Could you find it in your heart to forgive me?

Ironically, perhaps, if you believe in God, the Holy Spirit, then you might be more likely to understand me and therefore to forgive.

My desire is not so much that you understand what I have done. I
Luís C.
A narrator whose name is unknown is waking up on the eve of his 90th birthday. In his youth, he has assiduously frequented the brothels of his town - to the point of being several times crowned "customer of the year" by several of them - but on the eve of his birthday he surrenders himself. That it had been almost twenty years since he had ceased this practice. Yet, Rosa Cabarcas, a well-known brothel keeper, has often revived him...
Today, our man feels close to finding the rooms of Rosa.
Robert
Dec 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Men who love women
The review I wrote for amazon.

A curious and lovely book

In the US, we understand sexy but we struggle with the erotic. We read the body like we read the newspaper, by habit; with a glance. Our real failure in love is our failure to take our time. It's not in our nature to wait, to sample, to savor. We rush into love as if we were late to an appointment. Gabriel Garcia Marquez in his MEMORIES OF MY MELANCHOLY WHORES doesn't rush. The book is a seduction and moves at that qu
Χαρά Ζ.
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
_Memories of My Melancholy Whores_

Márquez, my dear, you are, without a doubt, the love of my life.
Duane
The book summary and blurb will turn many people away from this book. And yes, it is about a 90 year old man obsessed with a 14 year old prostitute. But that doesn't do justice to what this book is about, and it doesn't do justice to the brilliant writing of Gabriel Garcia Marquez. He didn't win the Nobel Prize for Literature for nothing. Really it's a story of love, and it's a story of a time and place that most of us can't truly imagine. The writing alone makes the effort worthwhile.
Mohammad Hrabal
Oct 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
از این رمان توقع صد سال تنهایی یا عشق، سالهای وبا را نباید داشته باشید ولی شیرین و خواندنی است.
********************************************************************************
هیچ وقت به او و به هیچکدام از پیشنهادهای وسوسه انگیز و بیشرمانهاش تن در نداده بودم، اما او اصولی را که من به آنها اعتقاد داشتم قبول نداشت و با لبخندی موذیانه میگفت: اخلاقیات هم بستگی به زمان یا زمانه داره، خواهی دید. ص 6 کتاب
هیچ وقت به سن و سال مثل قطراتی که از سقف میچکند و به آدم یادآوری میکنند که چه قدر از عم
Paradoxe
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Είμαι σε φάση ανακατάληψης των μνημείων μου αποστρογγυλοποιώντας τις ακμές που γλύκανα όσο περνούσαν τα χρόνια. Κοινώς ό,τι χρειάζεται για να πω goodbye σε ωραιοποιήσεις που δημιουργούν ανύπαρκτα σημεία αναφοράς. Διασχίζοντας διάφορα σημεία μου πέρασα τη ματιά μου αρκετά πιο κριτικά κι από ένα ταξίδι και τότε θυμήθηκα κι αυτό το βιβλίο και σήμερα μόλις μπήκα εδώ το βρήκα μπροστά μου από κάποιον που το σήμανε ως to read. Μου φάνηκε καλή ιδέα να πω δυο λόγια, διότι παρά τη δυσκολία της περιόδου, ε ...more
Xime García
El sexo es el consuelo que uno tiene cuando no alcanza el amor.

Primer libro que leo de este señor, y debo admitir que no la pasé tan mal. Para mí este colombiano es uno de esos autores de los que no se habla ligeramente, y siempre leer alguna de sus obras más emblemáticas me parecía, en sí, una tarea titánica para la que no estaba preparada. El realismo mágico no me va mucho que digamos (incluyo Rayuela de Cortázar) así que admiro a mi cuasi tocayo de apellido desde lejos en general.
Ahmed Ibrahim

" ليست السن هى ما بلغه أحدنا من العمر ، بل ما يشعر به "
" الجنس هو العزاء الذى يلجأ إليه المرأ عندما لا يحصل على الحب "

ها هو الساحر يخرج لنا من جرابه رواية رائعة - كعادته - وتحمل معانى انسانية كثيرة .
بعد أن عرف الكثير والكثير من النساء الذى لم يعرف معهم معنى الحب .. عند بلوغه التسعين يكتشف المعنى الحقيقى له .. وأن الرابطة الجسدية لا تغنى أبدا عن الرابطة السحرية المسماة بالحب .
رواية انسانية توصف الرجل التسعينى ومشاعره بمهارة بالغة .
ماركيز صاحب أفضل اسلوب سردى من وجهة نظرى .. فهو ساح
Irena Kiki
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cela prostorija je odisala njenom intimom. Nije bila sasvim gola, jer je za uvetom imala otrovni cvet narandžastih latica, kao Maneova "Olimpija" , a nosila je i zlatnu narukvicu na desnoj ruci i nisku sitnih bisera oko vrata.Nisam pretpostavljao da ću ikada videti nešto što će me tako pomeriti u onome što mi je ostajalo od života, a danas mogu da potvrdim da sam bio u pravu.

Sećanja na moje tužne kurve je poslednji roman kolumbijskog nobelovca Gabriel Garsija Markesa. Tema kojom se koristio u s
Berfin Kanat
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Çok güzeldi, çok güzeldi, çok güzeldi.
Marquez okumayı özlemişim. O kadar uzun zaman oldu ki yazarın tarzını unutmuşum. Aklım Yüzyıllık Yalnızlık'ın karmaşasında kalmış olacak ki bol betimleme beklerken sade bir kitapla karşılaştım. Derin anlamlara sahip yalın cümleleriyle huzur veren bir kitapla.
Hayalet hissi veren kitapları seviyorum. Benim Hüzünlü Orospularım'da onlardan biri. Tuhaf bir belirsizlik havası var kitabın, her şey hem gerçek hem de değil. Satır araları okuyucunun hayal gücüy
Amanda
Mar 17, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
On a certain level, I truly enjoyed "Memories of My Melancholy Whores". I am always ready to be swept up in the simple whimsy of G.G.M's language, and the sweeping romance and dramatic emotion of his work always appeals to me. But on another very real level I found this book disturbing and sexist.
The book's theme is strikingly reminiscent of "Talk to Her", a recent Almodovar film. Both deal with men who build flowery romantic/erotic relationships in their minds with a completely passive sl

• Of Love and Other Demons by Gabriel Garcia Marquez Summary  Study Guide
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Lord of the Flies
  • Difficult Loves
  • The Actual
  • مدایح بی‌صله
  • میرا
Gabriel José de la Concordia García Márquez was a Colombian novelist, short-story writer, screenwriter and journalist. García Márquez, familiarly known as "Gabo" in his native country, was considered one of the most significant authors of the 20th century. In 1982, he was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature.

He studied at the University of Bogotá and later worked as a reporter for the
“I discovered that my obsession for having each thing in the right place, each subject at the right time, each word in the right style, was not the well-deserved reward of an ordered mind but just the opposite: a complete system of pretense invented by me to hide the disorder of my nature. I discovered that I am not disciplined out of virtue but as a reaction to my negligence, that I appear generous in order to conceal my meanness, that I pass myself off as prudent because I am evil-minded, that I am conciliatory in order not to succumb to my repressed rage, that I am punctual only to hide how little I care about other people’s time. I learned, in short, that love is not a condition of the spirit but a sign of the zodiac.” 640 likes
“No matter what, nobody can take away the dances you've already had.” 364 likes