Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

The Bachelor Challenge Archive > The Bachelor Team Challenge - Reading for Roses (3)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 289 (289 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by MountainKat, Moderator (last edited Dec 11, 2018 09:37PM) (new)

MountainKat | 11319 comments 🌹The Bachelor Team Challenge🌹
🌹Theme - Book Boyfriends🌹

Team 3 Members:

✓ Captain - Jamie (TheRebelliousReader)

Heather
Mary-Megan
Nikk the Sapphired Book Dragon
Sexyladi
Shannon

message 2: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

Information required when posting your completion/s:

Date Task
Book/cover link
Page numbers
How book qualified, with links or cover as necessary.
Dated Completed with Rating.
If this is your second (or more) book for the task, also include that information.

Please include only this information. A small review may be included if desired, but is not required. No other discussion allowed though.

Although you will not need to make selection posts like in the PtP, your teammates might like ideas for what to read so sharing what you're reading could be very helpful. If you have any question if your book qualifies, it would be better to find out before you read it - ask your teammates or in the Q&A/Announcement thread.

Books must be 90 pages and MPG (Main Page Genre) Romance. Contemporary Romance, Historical Romance, Paranormal Romance or similar is acceptable, but it must be romance. Audiobooks and rereads are ok. Books can only be read once per person during the challenge even if it fits multiple categories. The same book can be read by teammates though. Once the task for the date is announced, you may not tag a book so that it fits or edit any lists - this must be done before the date begins.

message 3: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

The dates will begin on Saturdays at 6 PM EST, at that time the task for each date will be announced. Books must be completed and posted by the following Friday at Midnight EST, except when 'Visiting the Family' when you will have until the second Friday. Roses will be awarded before the next date begins. Each date we will be working towards spelling out B-A-C-H-E-L-O-R. The potential tasks for each letter will be posted in advance, but you will not know which task will be used until the date begins.

Roses are earned by:
🌹 The first rose per team is earned for reading 4 books fitting the task during the date.
Bonus roses may be earned by:
🌹 The team that finishes 4 books and posts in the Q&A/Announcement thread first wins a bonus rose. Note, posting is required to earn this rose.
🌹 Teams with each member completing the task (with a minimum of 6 books read) earn an additional rose.
🌹 Teams finishing 8+ books during the date win an additional rose.

Teams will not be eliminated even if they earn no roses, they will have a chance to catch up by earning additional roses on other dates. Players will be eliminated if they do not complete the task on two consecutive dates. Eliminated players will not be replaced. Remember, players are allowed to read multiple books for a given date in order to earn bonuses and/or to make up for teammates who do not read their book or who have been eliminated.

message 4: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

Captains, please reserve a few spaces for tracking.

Introduce yourselves to your teammates. Let then know where you are from, what your interests are in life and in books! Consider friending each other, that makes it easier to follow the goings on.

Your first task as a team is to come up with a team name. The theme if 'Book Boyfriend' and your team name should relate to that. Captains, please PM me your team name when you have decided.

message 5: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 11319 comments I will be tracking each team's completions and using the captains' tracking to confirm before awarding roses at the end of each date.

message 6: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 11319 comments Please allow your captain to reserve some tracking posts before commenting.

message 7: by Jamie (TheRebelliousReader) (last edited Feb 09, 2019 03:17PM) (new)

Jamie (TheRebelliousReader) (iambrucewayne) | 574 comments Week 1: Date 1 - B

B is for Bank

Read a book with a wealthy character, in précis or tagged to describe.

=======

Week 2: Date 2 - A

Visiting the Family

A is for Another

Read a book in a series longer than a trilogy (at least 4 books). This must be 4 primary books, you can read any book in the series including novellas if they are 90+ pages.

=======

Week 3: Date 3 - C

C is for Color

Read a book with at least 4 colors on the cover.

=======

Week 4: Date 4 - H

H is for Holiday

Read a holiday book, can be in title, précis, or tagged. Holiday can be either the US or British version. It can refer to a public or religious celebration or a vacation. For either version, books must qualify through the title, the précis or by being tagged/shelved.

=======

Week 5: Date 5 - E

E is for Enjoyed

Read a book with an average rating of 4.0 or higher. Use GR as your source for the rating, there is no minimum for the number of ratings as long as the average rating is 4.0 or higher.

=======

Date 6 - L

L is for Labor

Read a book with a blue collar worker, either included in the précis or tagged with blue collar or a word/job that indicates blue collar.

=======

Date 7 - O

O is for October

Read a book that has any edition published in October. Please list which edition qualifies your book, i.e. kindle edition, hardcover, mass-market paperback, audio, etc. The edition MUST be listed on GR. You do not have to read this edition, but your chosen book needs to have at least one edition published in October to qualify.

=======

Date 8 - R

R is for Remedy

Read a book tagged with doctor, medical, illness or injury. This may also be qualified in the précis. Anything tag/shelf that indicates illness (specific or generic), injury (specific or generic), doctor (any kind, even a veterinarian or psychologist - not a PhD in history though ok?), hospital, clinic, etc is acceptable.

message 8: by Jamie (TheRebelliousReader) (last edited Jan 27, 2019 06:49PM) (new)

Jamie (TheRebelliousReader) (iambrucewayne) | 574 comments Completion Posts

Week 1:

(view spoiler)

Week 2:

(view spoiler)

Week 3:

(view spoiler)

Week 4:

(view spoiler)

Week 5:

(view spoiler)

Jamie (TheRebelliousReader) (iambrucewayne) | 574 comments *And taking this spot as well just in case. Okay, I'm done for real this time.

Jamie (TheRebelliousReader) (iambrucewayne) | 574 comments Hello, team! *waves frantically* I'm Jamie, I'm from Texas so I'll be operating on Central Standard Time but I'm a night owl so I'm usually up at all times of the night. I've never been a Captain before and seeing as this is a brand new challenge here on the group, it'll be a learning experience for all of us but I'm sure we've got this! I just did the last round of PtP with Heather and Mary-Megan (hi, ladies!) and I'm so excited to meet the rest of you!

As for my reading tastes I love romance. Paranormal romance and Fantasy with romance are my absolute favorites whether it's M/F or M/M. I love contemporaries as well. My favorite series is the Black Dagger Brotherhood series by J.R. Ward and my favorite book of all time is Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen.

I'd like to know what are some of your favorite book boyfriends and lets see if we can come up with a team name from that. Or any suggestions really because I freakin' suck at team names. :P

message 12: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (pokey36) | 647 comments Hey Jamie! I don't think I've played a challenge with you before and I'm excited to try this one out. I'm in the Pacific NW, currently in the Portland area but moving in 4 days up to the Seattle area because apparently we really love rain but we were just dying to pay double for a house. We're smart like that!

I really only read M/M anymore but will read just about any genre of it. I don't love them all but there are great books everywhere so I can usually find one to give a go.

I also suck at team names especially if they can't be dirty. I don't know why that is but it's the truth.

message 13: by Sexyladi (new)

Sexyladi | 834 comments Hey Jamie, I am Sexyladi from Chicago. I am excited about this challenge it is a first for me. I love paranormal, contemporary, multicultural, fantasy with romance. M/F, reverse harem, M/F/M. I love all of Christine Feehan's series. My favorite boyfriend series is by katie Dowe, members from money. I not great with names for the group, but I look forward to meeting everyone and learning how this challenge works.

message 14: by Lisa (last edited Dec 09, 2018 10:04PM) (new)

Lisa (mooselover) | 958 comments Shannon wrote: "Hey Jamie! I don't think I've played a challenge with you before and I'm excited to try this one out. I'm in the Pacific NW, currently in the Portland area but moving in 4 days up to the Seattle ar..."

Good luck with the move. Will you still have all the boxes at xmas.

Jamie (TheRebelliousReader) (iambrucewayne) | 574 comments Shannon wrote: "Hey Jamie! I don't think I've played a challenge with you before and I'm excited to try this one out. I'm in the Pacific NW, currently in the Portland area but moving in 4 days up to the Seattle ar..."

Hi, Shannon. Good luck with your move. Also, I'm curious what kind of team names you come up with. I love the team names for a lot of the M/M Romance teams. I get a good laugh every time I see them.

Jamie (TheRebelliousReader) (iambrucewayne) | 574 comments Sexyladi wrote: "Hey Jamie, I am Sexyladi from Chicago. I am excited about this challenge it is a first for me. I love paranormal, contemporary, multicultural, fantasy with romance. M/F, reverse harem, M/F/M. I lov..."

Hi, Sexyladi. I don't think I've read any reverse harem yet (if I have I don't remember) and that genre is just so huge I wouldn't know where to start with it. I'm interested in it but there's so much of it out.

Christine Feehan is on the list along with Sherrilyn Kenyon of authors that I need to read a.s.a.p.

message 17: by Mary-Megan (new)

Mary-Megan | 1879 comments Hi!
I am also from Illinois - a suburb west of Chicago (cleverly named West Chicago). I'm always checking Goodreads. I do M/F contemporary romance - mostly small town romances - but I also like romantic suspense.

I have never watched the Bachelor before, so I don't know what direction to go for names. I can't say that I really have any book boyfriends - I read so many romances they all blend together. I could point to a few classics - like Jamie from Outlander (especially seeing what he looks like on TV) Captain Wentworth (I prefer Austen's Persuasion over Pride and Prejudice) or Gilbert Bylthe from Anne of Green Gables. If you give me a theme or something to work with, I might be able to come up with something for a name...

message 18: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 11319 comments OMG - I had such a crush on Gilbert Blythe! (And I didn't read those books as a child. 😲)

And Jamie, especially in Sam Heughan's personification! Is it hot in here...?

message 19: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (mooselover) | 958 comments Jamie (TheRebelliousReader) wrote: "Shannon wrote: "Hey Jamie! I don't think I've played a challenge with you before and I'm excited to try this one out. I'm in the Pacific NW, currently in the Portland area but moving in 4 days up t..."

Once we had Shaving Ryan's Privates

message 20: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (pokey36) | 647 comments I think this season has a guy, maybe Cody, and he's a virgin so we could go with some kind of name from that like...

Stealing His V-Card
Tying the Cherry Stem

Really hard to keep this train of thought clean!

message 21: by Sexyladi (new)

Sexyladi | 834 comments Jamie (TheRebelliousReader) wrote: "Sexyladi wrote: "Hey Jamie, I am Sexyladi from Chicago. I am excited about this challenge it is a first for me. I love paranormal, contemporary, multicultural, fantasy with romance. M/F, reverse ha..."

I love Sherrilyn kenyon series dark-hunter series, I read all her books plus Nick's seriers. Reverse harem comes in just about all genders its just one F with 3,4,5 guys or more.

Nikk the Sapphired Book Dragon (sapphireddragon) | 262 comments Hi all checking in.

i am really terrible with team names also .

I read mostly paranormal romance but i also like the fluffy HEA romances as well depending on my mood

I , too, love jamie from Outlander. I have read all the books and really need to watch tonight's episode of the tv series.

Also Roarke from the In Death series. I mean who wouldn't want Roarke as their book boyfriend

Maybe we could be Roses from Roarke or Roarke's Rose recipients or Roarke's raunchy rosettes

told you i was lame with names LOL

message 23: by Mary-Megan (new)

Mary-Megan | 1879 comments I"m feeling very uninspired for name creation...

-Sufferers of Fictiophilia (which is being attracted to fictional character)
-Falling in love in chapter five (or chapter three because we're team 3)
-Reading for Roses
-Simply better in books

message 24: by Sexyladi (new)

Sexyladi | 834 comments Reading for roses works for me!!!

Jamie (TheRebelliousReader) (iambrucewayne) | 574 comments I vote for Reading for Roses!

Though Tying the Cherry Stem is a close second.

Nikk the Sapphired Book Dragon (sapphireddragon) | 262 comments I like reading for roses

Jamie (TheRebelliousReader) (iambrucewayne) | 574 comments Let me know if you like the name Reading for Roses. We have to have a name before Saturday.

message 28: by Heather (new)

Heather | 410 comments Hi, everyone!!!
Jamie & Mary Megan! I ❤ that we are doing back to back challenges!

Shannon and I won a Huge challenge together (Norse Gods) before....my first time being a Captain! Nikk, I KNOW, we've been together before but I cannot remember from which challenge.

Jamie its nice to meet you! This is a great group and I think we'll have lots of fun!

I'm also from Texas. Well, I live here. Im from Baltimore. I read paranormal, horror, fantasy and YA but I mainly read romance. Contemporary & New Adult. The more angst the better. I dont really read MM. Not because Im against it I just never saw one I wanted to read although I read a series that had a very HOT couple in it so maybe I should just try one already.
I have not read or watched Outlander. Yet. I wanted to read it this year but the amount of pgs never fit in with challenge timeframes. But I do know enough about it and Jamie seems amazing!

I LOVE reality TV...especially Big Brother!

I like Reading for Roses too!

message 29: by Heather (new)

Heather | 410 comments Oh! My favorite book boyfriend is and will forever be Kellan Kyle from Thoughtful (Thoughtless, #1.5) by S.C. Stephens although lots of come close no one takes his #1 spot!

message 30: by Mary-Megan (new)

Mary-Megan | 1879 comments I'm fine with Reading for Roses (if I came up with it, it'd be hard to be against it)

Jamie (TheRebelliousReader) (iambrucewayne) | 574 comments Heather wrote: "Oh! My favorite book boyfriend is and will forever be Kellan Kyle from Thoughtful (Thoughtless, #1.5) by S.C. Stephens although lots of come close no one takes his #1 spot!"

I've heard nothing but amazing things about this series (particularly Kellan Kyle. People seem to really love that guy. LOL). I've had the first three books for years and I've never gotten around to them. It's definitely high up on my to read list.

message 32: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (pokey36) | 647 comments I like "Reading for Roses" also.

message 33: by Mary-Megan (new)

Mary-Megan | 1879 comments So I'm curious how many of you are quick readers? Are any of you going to be able to help us attain the extra roses? I am ashamed to admit that I'm a slow reader. Sometimes it takes me a whole week to do a book, generally at least 4 days, so I likely will not be getting in two books per task. What about the rest of you?

Jamie (TheRebelliousReader) (iambrucewayne) | 574 comments I average about 3-4 books a week so I can help read for the extra roses.

message 35: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (pokey36) | 647 comments Depends on the week and we're currently loading up moving trucks, so not this kind of week but I generally read 3-5 books a week.

message 36: by Heather (new)

Heather | 410 comments It depends on the week for me too. Mostly I would also say 3-4 but lately its been around 2. Probably because of the holidays so afterwards I think I'll be back to normal.

message 37: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 11319 comments Updated your team name and everyone has checked in - yay!

message 38: by Sexyladi (new)

Sexyladi | 834 comments I usually a fast reader but my mother had a stroke last week so i been reading only 4 or 5 books a week but i usually at least 2 to 3 books a day depending if I cant put it down. I currently reading 3 books right now for two different challenges.

Jamie (TheRebelliousReader) (iambrucewayne) | 574 comments Sexyladi wrote: "I usually a fast reader but my mother had a stroke last week so i been reading only 4 or 5 books a week but i usually at least 2 to 3 books a day depending if I cant put it down. I currently readin..."

Oh, no! I'm sorry about your mother. Hope she's doing okay!

message 40: by Sexyladi (new)

Sexyladi | 834 comments She's getting better and she may be home by the 21th when she should be through with all of her physical thereapy. Thank you for asking by me working nights and visiting her when I get off in the morning my reading time has been cut down. But mom comes first.

message 41: by Mary-Megan (new)

Mary-Megan | 1879 comments Sexyladi wrote: "She's getting better and she may be home by the 21th when she should be through with all of her physical thereapy. Thank you for asking by me working nights and visiting her when I get off in the m..."

I'm glad to hear that your mother is doing better. It blows my mind to hear that you can do 2-3 books a day. How are you able to get so many done? I can't even do that in a week, even when I don't have work and school getting in the way of my reading.

message 42: by Sexyladi (new)

Sexyladi | 834 comments I take my tablet everywhere with me so i read at work at home when I am off and up all night I go through them pretty fast. I have been reading since I was a child and discovered the more I read the faster I became without realizing it.

Nikk the Sapphired Book Dragon (sapphireddragon) | 262 comments I read anywhere between 2 - 5 books a week. This week has been crazy RL wise so I have only managed 3. I listen to audio books at work and spend 3-4 hours per day commuting so a lot of my reading gets done then

message 44: by Heather (new)

Heather | 410 comments Nikk the Sapphired Book Dragon wrote: "I read anywhere between 2 - 5 books a week. This week has been crazy RL wise so I have only managed 3. I listen to audio books at work and spend 3-4 hours per day commuting so a lot of my reading g..."

3-4 hours commuting?!? Thats terrible. BUT as I have recently discovered the awesomeness of audio books I'm sure that definitely helps!

message 45: by Mary-Megan (new)

Mary-Megan | 1879 comments I love audiobooks. I have two going at a time - one at home and one in the car.

And whoo hoo, it's almost time for our first date! I finished a book last night and am anxiously awaiting the call so I can start a new one.

message 46: by Heather (new)

Heather | 410 comments I know! I keep checking in today. I'm excited to start. :)

message 47: by Sexyladi (new)

Sexyladi | 834 comments Does the challenge start today and whats the category?

message 48: by Mary-Megan (last edited Dec 15, 2018 03:05PM) (new)

Mary-Megan | 1879 comments Date 1 - B

B is for Bank

Read a book with a wealthy character, in précis or tagged to describe.

You have until Friday, December 21 @ Midnight US EST to post your completion(s).

Please ensure that your completion post conforms to message #2 of your team thread.

Jamie (TheRebelliousReader) (iambrucewayne) | 574 comments Thanks Mary-Megan!

message 50: by Mary-Megan (new)

Mary-Megan | 1879 comments Jamie (TheRebelliousReader) wrote: "Thanks Mary-Megan!"

I was sort of stalking the board to find out what it was.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6