Reading 1001 discussion

Past TBR lists > Hilde's 2019 TBR challenge

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hilde (last edited Jan 30, 2020 02:17PM) (new)

Hilde (hilded) | 337 comments ✓ 1. The Talented Mr. Ripley- 203p
2. Slaughterhouse-Five - 285p
✓ 3. Mrs. Dalloway - 175 p
✓ 4. The Bluest Eye- 180p
✓ 5. The Elegance of the Hedgehog- 345p
6. The Sun Also Rises - 211p
✓ 7. Little Women - 224p
✓ 8. The Godfather- 547p
9. Madame Bovary - 321p
✓ 10. Love in the Time of Cholera- 418p
11. A Town Like Alice- 276p
12. Lolita - 321p
13. The House of the Spirits- 405p
14. Written on the Body - 196p
✓ 15. Rebecca- 438p
16. The Handmaid's Tale- 325p
17. American Psycho - 443p
✓ 18. Fathers and Sons- 202p
✓ 19. A Visit from the Goon Squad - 381p
20. The Wreath (Book 1 of the Kristin Lavransdatter trilogy) - 323p
21. Lady Chatterley's Lover- 373p
22. Jazz - 211p
23. Moon Palace - 295p
✓ 24. Song of Solomon - 324p

message 2: by Hilde (last edited Jan 30, 2020 02:17PM) (new)

Hilde (hilded) | 337 comments Monthly List of Books Chosen

✓ January: #7 Little Women ★★★★☆ (Read in Feb)
✓ February: #15 Rebecca ★★★★★
✓ March: #4 The Bluest Eye ★★★★☆
✓ April: #18 Fathers and Sons ★★★★☆
✓ May: #1 The Talented Mr. Ripley ★★★★☆
✓ June: #3 Mrs. Dalloway ★★★☆☆
✓ July: #24 Song of Solomon ★★★★★
✓ August: #10 Love in the Time of Cholera ★★☆☆☆
✓ September: The Elegance of the Hedgehog ★★★★☆
✓ October: A Visit from the Goon Squad ★★★★☆
✓ November: The Godfather ★★★★☆
☐ December: Written on the Body

All the pretty covers
Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier Little Women (Little Women, #1) by Louisa May Alcott The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison Fedre og sønner by Ivan Turgenev The Talented Mr. Ripley (Ripley, #1) by Patricia Highsmith Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf Sangen om Salomon by Toni Morrison Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel García Márquez Pinnsvinets eleganse by Muriel Barbery A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan The Godfather by Mario Puzo

message 3: by Hilde (last edited Feb 06, 2019 04:12AM) (new)

Hilde (hilded) | 337 comments My preliminary list based on leftovers from last year and books on my shelf. The good thing is that I own all of these, which means I want to get to them soon. But, at the moment they are packed away for an upcoming move, and stored in a storage box far away. So I'll probably end up running to the library anyhow, lol. At least for the first months of 2019. There are a couple included that I still hope to get to this year (Slaughterhouse-Five, Rebecca and The House of the Spirits), we'll see if I need to update my list before the new year kicks in.

Edit: Didn't get to the ones mentioned above this year, so fingers crossed they will be picked in 2019.

Looking forward to this challenge, it's great! :)

message 4: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hilded) | 337 comments Finished my February (and January) books. Glad to report that Rebecca was every bit as good as I thought it would be, my first 5 star read for the year!:)

message 5: by Hilde (last edited Mar 31, 2019 12:22PM) (new)

Hilde (hilded) | 337 comments Finished my March book a while back, and added my thoughts in the review section. Good, but challenging read.

Next up is Fathers and Sons, not sure what to expect from this one.

message 6: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hilded) | 337 comments I finished Fathers and Sons during my Easter break. For a Russian classic, it was very readable. Quite enjoyed it, even though there were some parts that dragged.

message 7: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hilded) | 337 comments Finished The Talented Mr. Ripley a couple of week ago, loved it! It was very entertaining, don't know why I waited so long to read it.

Mixed feelings about my June book; Mrs. Dalloway, I know for sure it will take me some time - hopefully I'll end up enjoying it!

message 8: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hilded) | 337 comments Finished my June book, Mrs Dalloway. I am not sure yet what I actually think about it. I struggeled more with this than with To the Lighthouse, but I think maybe I wasn’t focused enough when reading it (a huge portion was read on vacation & flights in Italy, and it’s not exactly a good vacation read). I’ll need to let in sink in some more, I think. I will wrap it up by reading The Hours this summer as well.

Next up is another ‘tough’ one; Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison. My second Morrison book for this challenge this year!

message 9: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hilded) | 337 comments Finished my July book; Sangen om Salomon by Toni Morrison, what a great book! Was my third Morrison, and the best one so far. (Read ‘Beloved’ and ‘The Bluest Eye’ before this one). Excited to find out what August’s number will be! There are a couple on my list that I don’t particulary look forward to (Love in the Time of Cholera and Lady Chatterly's Lover), so I will likely hesitate to pick them up unless they are chosen here.

message 10: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hilded) | 337 comments August and summer was suddenly over, and with that I finished the dreaded Love in the Time of Cholera! Looking at my post for July, it’s almost as I jinxed myself, lol.

But, happy to finally have it read. Turned out my gut feeling was correct, this was not for me. The first two chapters were so, so slow - seemed they would never end! And very little plot to talk about as well. Which doesn’t always bother me. Here it did though, as the male protagonist wasn’t very likeable either (view spoiler)z So many morally absurd things going on. Guess I just didn’t understand it.

Anyhow, I am looking forward to my September book (The Elegance of the Hedgehog. Started it yesterday, and it looks promising.

message 11: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hilded) | 337 comments Finished my September book, The Elegance of the Hedgehog, a while back.

I am very fond of character driven books, which this one was. We really got to know the two main protagonists, and I grew very fond of both of them. But I do think that the philosophy part tended to be just a tad bit much sometimes. Not a big deal though, cause overall I really enjoyed the book. I am looking forward to see the movie which my library luckily has available.

For October, I am looking forward to A Visit from the Goon Squad, so many people here seem to like it - so that's certainly promising!

message 12: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hilded) | 337 comments Well, it seems I forgot to update for the last quarter of 2019. I did however finish my October and November books (A Visit from the Goon Squad and The Godfather). Never managed my December book unfortunately (Written on the Body), will try to get to it this year instead!