Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Archive [General] > House of Chains the team not the BR, Year 2!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 643 (643 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 12 13

message 1: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
Draft was last night! We'll post the teams at some point today and I thought I'd in equal parts add to the anticipation and tease everybody! :P

Saar The Book owl | 2011 comments Oh, I'm so excited! :D

message 3: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 16581 comments Saar The Book owl wrote: "Oh, I'm so excited! :D"

And you just can't hide it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iwBM...

message 4: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5020 comments Timelord Iain (Eeyawn) wrote: "Saar The Book owl wrote: "Oh, I'm so excited! :D"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iwBM..."

Boooh Eeyawn! It will take me all day to get this out of my head :D

message 5: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 16581 comments Sir Anni wrote: "Timelord Iain (Eeyawn) wrote: "Saar The Book owl wrote: "Oh, I'm so excited! :D"

Boooh Eeyawn! It will take me all day to..."

The end of the chorus seemed perfect for the Team Leaders:

And I know, I know, I know, I know, I know I want you (I want you)...

message 6: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (last edited Dec 08, 2018 10:13AM) (new)

Welcome to House of Chains!

Barry
Charlie
Choko
Delitealex
Jessica
Melissa
Olivia
Samir
Sean
Siobhan
Veronica
Yanique

message 7: by Timelord Iain (last edited Dec 08, 2018 10:58AM) (new)

Timelord Iain | 16581 comments Scott wrote: "Welcome to House of Chains!...

Let's have a look at the 2018 results:

Scott -- 1183.9 (Leader)
Barry -- 526.2 (Alum)
Charlie -- 584.2 (Alum)
Delitealex -- 680.5 (Eagle)
Jessica -- 505.8 (Eagle)
Julia -- 1481.9 (Eagle) THIEF (I'm already projecting Julia as #1-2 total points in 2019... especially the first 6 months, before camp starts)
Choko -- 1604.9 (Jaghut)
Melissa -- 152.6 (Raider)
Olivia -- 524.9 (Alum)
Samir -- 290.6 (Eagle)
Sean -- 114.5 (Eagle)
Siobhan -- 656.9 (Jaghut)
Veronica -- 723 (Raider)
Yanique -- 1115.1 (Alum)

4 HoC Alumni
4 Blood Eagles
2 Tome Raiders
2 Jaghut Guardian

Total 2018 points of new team: 8663.1

Total points 2018 overall: 35,391.2
25% of 2018 points: 8,847.8

Editorial Comments: At first glance, it looks like HoC is starting at a slight disadvantage, but these numbers don't take into account how much the new bonus point rules are going to change things in 2019 (33% BR, 10% Challenge, 1.25x pages on non-Audio)... For example, I project Julia earning 1675 points in 2019, with identical reading numbers (assuming she doesn't start doing Buddy Reads and skyrocket)...

Jaghut Guardians: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
Blood Eagles: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
Tome Raiders: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

EDIT: Forgot to include team leaders... as a result there isn't as much of a points deficit... appended a slight to the disadvantage :D

EDIT2: This actually ended up being the strongest numerical team, based on 2018 numbers... as the first team I computed, I didn't appreciate that some people opted out of Year 2... I also didn't realize Free Agents existed, for some reason... this ended up being the only team to consist entirely of returning players...

EDIT3: Last minute trading... now HoC has even more 2018 points... but the thievery has been rectified...

message 8: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Thanks for that summary Iain. Really interesting. Nearly everybody on my team, besides me, is more of a reader than a listener. :P

I had no idea my team was so heavily titled between the Eagles and HoC.

message 9: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4615 comments Mod
Timelord Iain (Eeyawn) wrote: "Scott wrote: "Welcome to House of Chains!...

Barry -- 526.2 (Alum)
Charlie -- 584.2 (Alum)
Jessica -- 505.8 (Eagle)
Julia -- 148..."

You forgot to add Scott to your stats ;)

message 10: by Yanique (new)

Yanique Gillana | 912 comments WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!

Happy Dance! I'm still on my old team!!!

message 11: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 16581 comments Scott wrote: "Thanks for that summary Iain. Really interesting. Nearly everybody on my team, besides me, is more of a reader than a listener. :P

I had no idea my team was so heavily titled between the Eagles an..."

I'm working on summaries for all the teams... gonna link them together so you can jump between... just did Jaghut Guardians... adding a little fun commentary to each...

message 12: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 16581 comments Jenna wrote: "Timelord Iain (Eeyawn) wrote: "Scott wrote: "Welcome to House of Chains!...

Barry -- 526.2 (Alum)
Charlie -- 584.2 (Alum)
Jessic..."

GREAT POINT... thanks

message 13: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 16581 comments Scott wrote: "Thanks for that summary Iain. Really interesting. Nearly everybody on my team, besides me, is more of a reader than a listener. :P

I had no idea my team was so heavily titled between the Eagles an..."

Of the teams I've done so far, both seem to favor old teammates to a certain extent...

message 14: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Yanique wrote: "WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!

Happy Dance! I'm still on my old team!!!"

Welcome back~!~

message 15: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4615 comments Mod
Timelord Iain (Eeyawn) wrote: "GREAT POINT... thanks
"

No problem ;)

message 16: by Samir (new)

Samir (royceblackwater) | 842 comments Scott wrote: "Welcome to House of Chains!"

Thanks!

message 17: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Timelord Iain (Eeyawn) wrote: "Of the teams I've done so far, both seem to favor old teammates to a certain extent......"

I'm sure familiarity played into it but for me at least where I drafted was more of a factor. I was always picking twice in a row and going with who had the highest totals and where it was close I had a rough idea of who had the better read to listen ratio.

message 18: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Samir wrote: "Scott wrote: "Welcome to House of Chains!"

Thanks!"

Glad to have you onboard. You'll enjoy the upgrade from Eagle to Dragon. :)

message 19: by Samir (new)

Samir (royceblackwater) | 842 comments Scott wrote: "Samir wrote: "Scott wrote: "Welcome to House of Chains!"

Thanks!"

Glad to have you onboard. You'll enjoy the upgrade from Eagle to Dragon. :)"

Witness! :)

message 20: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Samir wrote: "Witness! :)"

I thought it was Samir Dev? :)

message 21: by Samir (new)

Samir (royceblackwater) | 842 comments Scott wrote: "Samir wrote: "Witness! :)"

I thought it was Samir Dev? :)"

Only when I get in touch with my feminine side. :D

message 22: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

:)

message 23: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments Yay new teams! Happy to be here! :)

message 24: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Slight lineup change. Margret and I had to swap Julia for Choko because Rob wanted to keep her on his team which I totally get.

Welcome Choko, we'll miss you Julia.

message 25: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Siobhan wrote: "Yay new teams! Happy to be here! :)"

Great to have you!

message 26: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

Margret | 3170 comments Mod
Oh, hi Scott. I’m expecting you’ll know how Tom Brady felt after the 2018 Super Bowl this coming year.

Love

Mags

message 27: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Margret wrote: "Oh, hi Scott. I’m expecting you’ll know how Tom Brady felt after the 2018 Super Bowl this coming year.

Love

Mags"

I expect you'll never know how Tom Brady felt, winning!

message 28: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

So I feel like I've done buddy reads with most of you but maybe everybody can do a quick bio. Just whatever you're comfortable with.

Married with 5 daughters I live about 20 miles south of Boston. Database Architect for a career. I have about 1400 skydives all before children when I had free time and disposable income.

For books I read mostly Fantasy, Sci-fi, Historical Fiction with a bunch of other genres thrown in. I definitely like books with a dark edge. I'm sure you've all heard me trumpet on and on about Malazan but that's my favorite series, by far.

Cheers, glad to have everybody.

message 29: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments Scott wrote: "Siobhan wrote: "Yay new teams! Happy to be here! :)"

Great to have you!"

Thanks Scott :) didn't think you'd take Zaara's recommendation seriously 😜

message 30: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 16581 comments Scott wrote: "Margret wrote: "Oh, hi Scott. I’m expecting you’ll know how Tom Brady felt after the 2018 Super Bowl this coming year.

Love

Mags"

I expect you'll never know how Tom Brady felt, winning!"

We talking DeflateGate?

message 31: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments I'm 28, living with my partner near Newcastle, UK.
I work as a Supply Chain Analyst for a Pharmaceutical company. (boring).

I love fantasy most, but read all sorts. Only thing I don't seem to read much of is historical fiction.

Charlie is my best friend IRL. We're gonna buddy read our entire YA collection and be a force to be reckoned with! 😅

message 32: by Yanique (new)

Yanique Gillana | 912 comments A Bio... ok:

I'm from St. Lucia but currently live in Chicago. I am a research scientist in a virology lab (My PhD is in Microbiology, Immunology, and Cancer Biology).

I read most genres, but Sci-Fi is where I live, which is followed closely by fantasy and literary fiction. So if you're a Sci-fi fan and want to do any specific buddy reads, let me know. I don't mind personal; messages on here so don't be shy!

message 33: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Siobhan wrote: "Scott wrote: "Siobhan wrote: "Yay new teams! Happy to be here! :)"

Great to have you!"

Thanks Scott :) didn't think you'd take Zaara's recommendation seriously 😜"

I was going to draft Zaara as well but she didn't sign up.

message 34: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Siobhan wrote: "I'm 28, living with my partner near Newcastle, UK.

I love fantasy most, but read all sorts. Only thing I don't seem to read..."

Nice. I did a couple of books with Charlie this year. Renegades was a fun series in the Reckoners mold.

message 35: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Yanique wrote: "A Bio... ok:

I'm from St. Lucia but currently live in Chicago. I am a research scientist in a virology lab (My PhD is in Microbiology, Immunology, and Cancer Biology).

I read most genres, but Sc..."

We'll be extra nice so you don't release a dystopian virus on our asses! :)

message 36: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 6708 comments Hi new team!!! I am Choko, live in Saint Louis, MO, 45 years old, no kids, social worker and a foster mom to an adult with developmental disability. Books are my life, my favorite escape from reality, so the genres of the books I love are as far away from reality as possible!!! Big sports fan, basketball fanatic! Love GR and sharing the joy of discovering in every new book with you guys 😊! Thank you for allowing me to be a part of this group 🤗

message 37: by Yanique (new)

Yanique Gillana | 912 comments Scott wrote: "Yanique wrote: "A Bio... ok:

I read mos..."

LOL!!! I would never! So you are safe with me.

message 38: by Yanique (new)

Yanique Gillana | 912 comments Choko wrote: "Hi new team!!! I am Choko, live in Saint Louis, MO, 45 years old, no kids, social worker and a foster mom to an adult with developmental disability. Books are my life, my favorite escape from reali..."

Welcome!!!

message 39: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 6708 comments Yanique, virology was what I really wanted to study, but after an unfortunate accident I aquired a weird color blindness and couldn't do lab work anymore... I am so envious in a good way, of your profession😃

message 40: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Choko wrote: "Hi new team!!! I am Choko, live in Saint Louis, MO, 45 years old, no kids, social worker and a foster mom to an adult with developmental disability. Books are my life, my favorite escape from reali..."

Welcome Choko!

message 41: by Barry (new)

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments Woohoo back on the winning team! Welcome to new members too. Excited to be here. I’ve BR with some, but not yet with the others. So, hopefully we get a chance to do that this year.

Brief bio:

I’m 34 years old from Indonesia, but went to the US (Wisconsin, Go Pack Go ... yeah I know McCarthy screwed it up bad😒) for college. My wife and I just had our first daughter in October. I’m hoping she continues to be a pretty calm baby so I can read while taking care of her haha.

I’m helping out with my family business mostly on the finance and operations sides of things. We focus mostly in the hospitality and education sectors. Not as interesting as what some of u guys are doing (virology wow!).

In terms of favorite genres, I love SFF. In fact I think I read almost the same number of SF and F books. I just don’t do a lot of YAs. I’ve set up 4-5 BRs for the first 5 months of 2019, so already some guaranteed points for the team🙂. Please check out my buddy read tracker and my incomplete challenge (will update the link once I can access my laptop) for series that I’m interested in reading. Hopefully there are some overlapping interests.

Excited to be here and get to know u guys!

message 42: by Yanique (new)

Yanique Gillana | 912 comments Choko wrote: "Yanique, virology was what I really wanted to study, but after an unfortunate accident I aquired a weird color blindness and couldn't do lab work anymore... I am so envious in a good way, of your p..."

I'm sorry to hear that! But I'm glad you found something else you enjoy. I will be passionate about viruses for both of us.

Saar The Book owl | 2011 comments Timelord Iain (Eeyawn) wrote: "Saar The Book owl wrote: "Oh, I'm so excited! :D"

Thanks, Iain, this will stick with me the whole day :D

message 44: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments Scott wrote: "Siobhan wrote: "I'm 28, living with my partner near Newcastle, UK.

I love fantasy most, but read all sorts. Only thing I do..."

I'm looking forward to reading Renegades, hope I can get another group together.

message 45: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments Even though I feel like I already know you guys it's so cool reading your bios! So excited to know you all better :) :)

message 46: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments I just joined in with the Blood Eagles discussion of horses with a few pics of my family's pet donkeys. Just in case you all would like to meet them... Here is Frosty and Angelica! :D ❤️ Honestly they are so sweet and funny!

Frosty -

Angelica -

message 47: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Barry wrote: "Woohoo back on the winning team! Welcome to new members too. Excited to be here. I’ve BR with some, but not yet with the others. So, hopefully we get a chance to do that this year.

Brief bio:

I’m..."

Welcome back Barry!

message 48: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Siobhan wrote: "I just joined in with the Blood Eagles discussion of horses with a few pics of my family's pet donkeys. Just in case you all would like to meet them... Here is Frosty and Angelica! :D ❤️ Honestly t..."

I absolutely love donkeys! I've always wanted a donkey and I would call him Benjamin which is an Animal Farm shout out. There was this baby donkey the kids were petting last summer which was the cutest thing ever.

message 49: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5020 comments Siobhan wrote: "Scott wrote: "Siobhan wrote: "I'm 28, living with my partner near Newcastle, UK.

I love fantasy most, but read all sorts. O..."

Depending on when you plan to start it, I would gladly join you :)

message 50: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments Scott wrote: "Siobhan wrote: "I just joined in with the Blood Eagles discussion of horses with a few pics of my family's pet donkeys. Just in case you all would like to meet them... Here is Frosty and Angelica! ..."

Omg baby donkeys are so darn cute! XD

That's awesome, Anni. I'm not planning any time soon, let's decide after Oathbringer! 😅

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 12 13