Start by marking “Salt Magic, Skin Magic” as Want to Read:
Salt Magic, Skin Magic

Salt Magic, Skin Magic

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  609 Ratings  ·  155 Reviews
Lord Thornby has been trapped on his father’s isolated Yorkshire estate for a year. There are no bars or chains; he simply can’t leave. His sanity is starting to fray. When industrial magician John Blake arrives to investigate a case of witchcraft, he finds the peculiar, arrogant Thornby as alarming as he is attractive. John soon finds himself caught up in a dark fairytale ...more
Published August 9th 2018 by Lee Welch

To ask other readers questions about Salt Magic, Skin Magic, please sign up.
Lee Welch Thanks for the question. Sorry, I didn't see it until now because I'm in the middle of research for another book in the same universe (different…moreThanks for the question. Sorry, I didn't see it until now because I'm in the middle of research for another book in the same universe (different characters), but who knows quite what will emerge. I also have some ideas for another book about John and Soren. So, can I give you a definite maybe? ;-)(less)

Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Who are you, Lee Welch, and where did you come from?!

I. AM. GAGGED.

Salt Magic Skin Magic took me completely by surprise. I had never heard of Lee Welch before picking up this book, but I decided to give it a go because it reminded me of a K.J. Charles-ish story. I was completely blown away by what I found.

If you are looking for that perfect blend of magic and historical romance that is so hard to find, look no further. I loved the gloomy, dark English countryside setting with the crumbling ca
R * A Reader Obsessed *
4.5 Duly Impressed Hearts

I must say, this brought the best of historical romance and seamlessly mixed it with a new twist on magic as well as a known fantastical legend.

This starts off with Lord Thornby who is trapped. His father has made it his sole purpose to marry him off for personal greed and until Thornby agrees, he can’t leave the family estate. Literally. Surely that’s not possible right? Is Thornby slowly losing his mind from being confined for so long?

When mysterious guest Mr. Blake ar
K.J. Charles
DISCLAIMER I edited this book.

I enjoyed this one gigantically. The opening is terrifically creepy and compelling, the magic system is really unusual and intriguing--John's magic is gloriously inventive in particular--the romance is emotional and hot, the setting is Gothically vivid, and the author manages, extraordinarily, to make me absolutely desperate for a sequel starring a character that we haven't even seen on page. A lovely new voice in historical paranormal romance. More please!

(Note: I
Richard Derus
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: quiltbag
Real Rating: 4.75* of five

Almost perfect in its genre. Almost! I'm amazed, astounded, delighted that it was such a top-flight romance, since it came by way of a newly minted author. And what a coinage Author Welch has struck! Confident, unhesitant strokes of imagination and inspiration, several passages that made me stop. dead. and. savor, just a wonderful reading experience all the way around.
Renée
Aug 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: meh, lqbtq
This was a new-to-me author, and I really enjoyed Welch's writing style. It's engaging and flows easily.

There was a great deal of potential here, but the plot left me wanting, unfortunately.

Soren is trapped on his father's estate. He reacts violently every time he tries to leave. John Blake arrives on the estate, and, as a magician, sees about breaking whatever spell, curse, or other thing is keeping Soren trapped on this piece of property.

The romance was done well, and it evolved naturally. Wi
Cadiva
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow, what a refreshing change from the usual historical romance that was! Absolutely brilliant Victoriana with a magical twist looking at traditional British/Irish mythology and magic which is based on the "scientific" ideals of John Dee back in the time of Queen Elizabeth.

I love the thought that Dee's thoughts were based on something real and that people went on to study thermatology, alchemy, the magic of inanimate objects etc and made careers out of it. There's a lovely tie in with the Crysta
Christelle
**3.5 stars**
Not a real fan of magical historical romance, but I was very curious about this release and eager to give it a try.

The writing is really good and it’s adequately fast-paced : a page turner. However, the plot confused me. Maybe because I’m a newbie for this genre ? Renée’s review well described my thoughts.

As I had just read The Magpie Lord, I couldn’t help making the comparison. I enjoyed the magical plot more in The Magpie Lord, and the sexual tension and romance more in this bo
Len Evans Jr
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
First off I just want to say that I am extremely impressed at the wonderful characters the author has peopled this book with, as well as the complex and awesome system of magic she put together for this book. This story was riviting, suspenseful and beautiful. I love Soren and John... together they are perfection. If the author can write like this for her second book... I can't wait t0 see what amazing things she does in her third!
Hollis
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Hollis by: Em
Recently I saw advance praise (two five stars in a row!) of SALT MAGIC SKIN MAGIC from folks on my flist and I'm not ashamed to admit that without really even knowing what this book was about, it sent me scurrying, almost immediately, to get my hands on this book. And boy am I ever glad I did.

I had only a vague idea of what this book was about, seeing as I am mostly averse to blurbs and tend to skim only for keywords as I like to keep the mystery alive, and right away the opening chapter hooked
Al *the serial series skipper*
Wow, this was terrific. Very good for a debut!
Caz
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Caz by: Em
4.5 stars rounded up.

First of all - don't let that horrible cover put you off!

Salt Magic, Skin Magic is a very impressive almost-début novel from Lee Welch – I say ‘almost’, because the author has previously published a novella – and I devoured it in two sittings.  I’m not widely-read in the fantasy genre, but the premise seemed quite unique, the world-building – in terms of the rules governing the use of magic – is well-thought out and explained, and the two central characters are engaging and
Lost in a Book
4.25 Stars

Well, Well, Well. This is a captivating (and a tad gruesome) read. Sign me up for immediate membership into Lee Welch’s fan club. I'll patiently await my official VIP card, please and thank you.

Lord Thornby is trapped on his father’s estate. Still. After being kept there somehow for well over a year, the days are bleeding together and he’s barely keeping a hold on his sanity. Thornby's father and step-mother arrive back in town and there’s an increase in the already peculiar happenings
Sofia
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Sofia by: Maya
I first heard this tale from Clarissa Pinkola Estes of Women Who Run with the Wolves fame. Clarissa tells a lot of tales in her books and I'm not going to tell you which tale I'm referring to. Please just take it from me that Lee Welch take on this particular tale is brilliantly done in my opinion. Subtle good writing with character. This character is then infused in all around even the most unexpected.

Well did you ever imagine that salt can be a character in itself, well read this and see.
Lotta
Oh, this was so good. Need to think a bit before I write my review. But basically, if you like paranormal historical romance, you should read this!

OK, let's give this a try.

This was definitely one of my favourite reads this year, with really beautiful language.

I liked the magic system (material magic vs. thermatology, and apparently based on some Elizabethan beliefs?) and would love to read more about it, perhaps in more books set in the same world? Hopefully?

I also found the characters compell
Francesca
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well that was a joy to read.
It felt gothic and claustrophobic, the characters were well fleshed out and manage a growth and redeeming arc even in the context of the mistery/magic going ons.
The book was beautifully written and the story gripping. Throw in magic that does not feel like "other" to the plot and a very romantic subplot and you have one of the best romances I have read in ages.
Highly recommended
Santy
What a ride this was!

I loved everything about this book and wish it was longer or at least had a proper epilogue. I never wanted it to finish.

I know this isn’t much of a review but if you like magical /historical/paranormal romance or a mixture of all three genres like this was, read this. You won’t regret it.

Lee Wench has found a new fan in me. 😊
Lisazj1
I loved everything about this! The world building, the storyline, the writing, the developing relationship between Soren and John, and maybe, a bit with the current Lady Dalton. I loved the way magic was written as an everyday, if not wholly accepted, part of life, and how the whole scope of that magic changed for John over the course of the story. The historical period the story was set in is one of my favorites and was well set without spending an inordinate amount of time doing so.

The chemis
Joyfully Jay
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jay
A Joyfully Jay review.

I really love the combination of historical and paranormal, so I was definitely intrigued by this book when I read the blurb. I think there is something about the rigid rules of formal society that contrast so well with the otherworldly paranormal themes. In this case, Lee Welch has created a fabulous story that is a wonderful mix of romance, historical setting, and fascinating paranormal world building.

First off, the paranormal elements Welch has built here are
Jax
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-star, historical, lgbtq
Loved this! The author managed to create the sense of genuine fondness between the MCs (in addition to physical attraction) and make it believable for feelings to develop in such a short period of time. Happy to have found a new writer to glom on to.
Barb ~rede-2-read~
ARC provided by the publisher through Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words in exchange for an impartial review.

Good heavens, this was outstanding! I’m shocked that a new author could produce such an in-depth, riveting, complex, historical drama like this. Every single page was better than the one before it.

The characters were complex and their relationship understated enough that it was woven into the fabric of the story but was not the most important part of this epic tale.

Soren, Lord Thornby, h
Susan
Oct 31, 2018 rated it liked it

This book turned out very different than what I expected when I started this. And that wasn’t a good thing.

I love reading about magic and mysterious events, so I thought for sure this book would be a winner. But I had no idea this would be a book about (view spoiler). For some reason I can get on board with magic, ghosts, a magical world, or a fantasy setting, but (view spoiler)
VVivacious
This one was so so good! It was my guiltiest pleasure. This was the book I was reading before my deadline on a review for another book which I hadn't finished but I just couldn't stop reading this one, no matter how much good sense dictated I did. All in all, that single decision led me to have a very interesting day today but I still can't make myself regret reading this one.

God! I feel like there must be a sequel because I can't bear the fact that they never got to say their ILYs. Come on! I n
Daesy
**grm** **little spoilers**

This was the story of a man that had loved a selkie woman, and had been loved in return, for many years, until they were blessed with a child. They had been happy and the life had been full of smiles, until one day the woman had asked her husband to show their chil the other part of his life, the magic one, the one belonging to the sea. And it was in that moment, that the man had ruined his life, for fear of losing the woman he loved, also if she had promised him, she
Kathleen
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, fantasy
There were things I loved about this book, especially the flash-burn romance between Soren and John, the lush atmosphere, and 19th century notions of magic. The book started out strong, the magical aspect truly fascinating, and it finished with a pulse-pounding bang. I was thrilled when the “secret” was revealed. However, I struggled with the excessive, redundant narrative and the extremely slow pace of the middle section of the book. I was also a bit unsatisfied with the ending, (view spoiler) ...more
Roxana-Mălina Chirilă
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
If I could, I'd rate this 3.5 stars - it's quite nice, but some things just bug me about it.

"Salt Magic Skin Magic" starts beautifully. The first scene in the book is brilliantly written and has all the force of a horror story - it could go anywhere. Of course, it's a historical romance novel, so the actual genre gives away the fact that the story itself won't dabble in the horrific mysteries of the world, but it's pleasantly chilling.

Lord Thornby can't get away from his father's estate - and h
Stephanie   GooglyEyes
3.5*

Salt Magic, Skin Magic by Lee Welch is my first book by this author.
It’s a historical, magical book with an enemies to lovers theme.
Our main character, Lord Thornby, has lived his life without much word from his father. Sent off to school at 8 and basically never to return to the estate, especially after the strange death of his mother. That is until his father steals him from his life in London and locks him to the state until he marries a woman of wealth. His father has this underlying d
YullSanna
Aug 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Достойно внимания! Оригинальный сюжет, по крайней мере я такого раньше не читала. Романтика на месте, чуть судорожная, но это ожидаемо в условиях стресса, в котором герои знакомятся. Есть напряжённые моменты, есть и нежность, и сомнения... Приятный не скомканный финал.
Em
I gave Salt Magic Skin Magic a DIK, A at All About Romance. It's my favorite historical of the year.

This book. Oh my goodness. I was bewitched and captivated from the first page to the last, and I barely took any breaks in between. Magical. Romantic. Suspenseful. Mysterious. Sexy. It’s all of those things and a tremendously engaging story. It’s also Ms. Welch’s first full-length novel. Friends, Salt Magic Skin Magic will definitely find a place on my top ten list at the end of the year.

It’s Octo
Dumbledore11214
Isabelle Adler
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018

This was an immensely enjoyable read!
The magic system in this world was really fascinating, with the different kinds of magic and magical beings involved in it, and some aspects were absolutely adorable and heart-warming (i.e., Blake's connection to the items he carries). The romance was scorching hot, and yet sweet and enticing at the same time, and the plot kept me riveted until the very end.
The only quibble I have is that I'd have liked more in terms of resolution - I wanted to kno
Lee Welch lives in a house on a hill in the windiest city in the world – Wellington, New Zealand. She shares the house with her partner, two kids and two cats. Hedgehogs visit occasionally, which makes her happy.

Lee wrote her first novel (an unpublished pastiche of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe) when she was seven and has been writing on-and-off ever since.

She studied ancient history at Auc