Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Archives > Read-a-Thon #4 - Team Sign-up

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (last edited Dec 06, 2018 05:57PM) (new)

Laura | 3823 comments Mod
Our final read-a-thon of the year starts on the 22nd and has a team challenge!

For those of you who have done a read-a-thon for the this group in the past, this should look familiar. If you're new to this, allow us to explain!

What do I have to do to participate?
If you can commit to actively participating in the read-a-thon, then please sign up in the comments below. We have chosen the categories so this group activity is fair and fun for readers of all speeds.

Please only sign up if you can commit to checking in with your team (on Goodreads) at least 3 times during the time from December 22 to January 1.

How many teams will there be?
The number of teams and participants on each team will be determined once sign-up is complete. Without knowing how many participants will sign-up, this is difficult to determine now. Typically we have 3 teams.

Please try and sign-up by Thursday, December 20, to give us a few days to work out teams.

For general information about the read-a-thon, visit the announcement post.

QUESTIONNAIRE {This helps us sort teams! :D}
1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)?
2. How many books do you usually finish in a week?
3. What genre do you read the most?
4. Which country do you live in?
5. Are you reading in order for the AtY RC?
6. Will you be reading books for the AtY RC during the read-a-thon?
7. Can you commit to checking in with your team frequently during the read-a-thon?
*8. Are you interested in being a team leader for your group? (i.e. keeping track of team totals, needed tasks, updating spreadsheet, etc.)

message 2: by Edie (new)

Edie | 826 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)? Medium
2. How many books do you usually finish in a week? 2 but this late in the year I may want to get a start on books for the 2019 challenge which I can't finish until the first of the year.
3. What genre do you read the most? Lots of variety thanks to various challenges... fiction more often than non-fiction
4. Which country do you live in? United States
5. Are you reading in order for the AtY RC? I don't read in order.
6. Will you be reading books for the AtY RC during the read-a-thon? No, I have already finished the ATY challenge
7. Can you commit to checking in with your team frequently during the read-a-thon? Yes
*8. Are you interested in being a team leader for your group? (i.e. keeping track of team totals, needed tasks, updating spreadsheet, etc. I ended up being a team leader last readathon. Willing to do it again... assuming someone has set up a spreadsheet for tracking that I can use.

message 3: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina | 390 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)?
usually medium, but December is always a binge month so I'll say fast
usually 2, probably 3 or 4 for december
YA fantasy
USA
kind of? I'm behind so it's in order, but very late
yes
7. Can you commit to checking in with your team frequently during the read-a-thon?
yes
*8. Are you interested in being a team leader for your group? (i.e. keeping track of team totals, needed tasks, updating spreadsheet, etc.)
I can. I'll be on winter break from school so I'll have a ton of free time

message 4: by Beth (last edited Dec 09, 2018 02:55PM) (new)

Beth | 61 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)?
Medium

1-2, but I'll likely read more for the read-a-thon.

historical fiction but I'll read just about anything that strikes me

United States

No

Probably

Sure can!

Not sure--I'm a first time participant. It might be better if someone else did it.

message 5: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2633 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)?
I'd say medium.

2-4, depending on the length of the book and how much time I have.

Contemporary (YA and adult), fantasy, psychological thrillers

Canada

No. I'm doing multiple challenges, and reading in order on top of that would just be too much.

I can't say for sure. I currently have about 11 books remaining for ATY so it's quite likely, but I'm hoping to be done by then!

Yes, especially since it is over the holidays when I don't have work for a few of those days.

Unfortunately not. I can't guarantee that I'll have the time to commit to keeping everything as up-to-date as I'd like if I was leading.

message 6: by Bernadette (new)

Bernadette | 50 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)?
Medium.

Depends on the time I have. I finish at least 1 a week up to 4-5 books in a good week with lots of time. December will probably be up to 3-5 books a week.

Thrillers and Young Adults.

The Netherlands (that's also the reason why my English isn't that good).

Next year will be my first year joining the AtY reading Challenge.

Nope.

Sure!

I'm sorry this is my first time joining. Don't want to slow down my team, because I'm a first time participant that doesn't know quite sure what needs to be done.

message 7: by Lieke (new)

Lieke | 709 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)?
medium

1-2, but I think I have more time to read during the read-a-thon

Fantasy/YA/...

The Netherlands

No

Probably, I'm a long way from finishing my challenge

yes

No, I have competitions so I'm not sure I can check in every day

message 8: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Morrison | 404 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)?
Usually medium, but I’ve been in a slump lately so I’ll say slow right now. Hopefully this will change that.
1-2
YA, fantasy
USA
No
Nope, I’ve finished
Yes
*8. Are you interested in being a team leader for your group? (i.e. keeping track of team totals, needed tasks, updating spreadsheet, etc.) works usually pretty busy around Christmas so I’m going to have to say no.

message 9: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (patchworkbunny) | 1708 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)?
Medium

2-3 (but I'm off work for the whole period of the readathon so this could be widely inaccurate).

Science fiction and fantasy

UK

Next year will be my first year so not currently doing challenge reading.

No

Yes

No

message 10: by Diana (new)

Diana (dianapharah) | 49 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed?
I would say medium.

1-2+ books depending on length and amount of free time I have.

Literary fiction or fantasy.

United States.

Nope!

Yes! I joined the 2018 AtY challenge in October and I’m trying to read as many books for it before the new year (so I don’t have as much to catch up on during the 2019 challenge).

Yes, I can. However, I’m leaving for a trip on the 25th and won’t be back until the 30th, which may hinder my reading a tad bit, though I hope to get an hour or two before I sleep. I should still be able to check in via app, but I won’t be able to properly link the books I read until I get back home (which should be before the read-a-thon ends!).

8. Are you interested in being a team leader for your group?
No.

message 11: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (last edited Dec 07, 2018 10:22AM) (new)

Tracy (tracyisreading) | 2472 comments Mod
I'm going to say slow right now but usually during the read a thon I speed it up. I just don't want to make any promises

1-4 depending on length and how Im feeling

none really? My genres are all over the place with the challenges but what I have left is mostly general fiction, YA and fantasy

US

I only have 1 1/2 books left for ATY, so will hopefully be finished before the read a thon

I hope not :/ but its possible

Im always here on GRs LOL

As a last resort because Im not working right now. I actually enjoyed doing team lead the first read a thon. I'm just not great with spread sheets so I usually track on paper. But if theres someone else interested that has a little more energy have at it ;-)

message 12: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 704 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)?
Fast
Classics, Literary Fiction
US
Nope
No. I've completed it. Just working on a personal challenge now.
Yes
*8. Are you interested in being a team leader for your group? (i.e. keeping track of team totals, needed tasks, updating spreadsheet, etc.) I'd be awful at this, so no. You need somebody with mad spreadsheet skills!

message 13: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 2201 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)?
slow/medium

mystery, classics, contemporary

US

I was, but I'll be finished by the time of the Read-a-Thon

No, I'll be finished.

Yes.

*8. Are you interested in being a team leader for your group?
No.

message 14: by Traci (new)

Traci (tracibartz) | 943 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)?
Medium

2-3, last time I read many more during read-a-thon, but probably not this time since I'll be visiting family.

Literary fiction, historical fiction

US

Yes

No, I've finished.

Yes.

No, I won't be on GR as much as usual.

message 15: by Liz (last edited Dec 07, 2018 04:43PM) (new)

Liz | 501 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)?
Slow-medium

1-2

a good mix of literary fiction, mystery, fantasy . . .

US

no

yes. I want to finish up!

yes

I would be an awful team leader, so no.

message 16: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy | 827 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)?
Medium on the week scale, fast per page

2-3

Lots - contemporary, SFF, mystery, YA, historical...

USA

Yes

Yes

Yes, at minimum twice a day

Sure, I did the spreadsheet keeping last time, and I can do that again or be the leader, whatever’s needed.

message 17: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)?
Medium
2. How many books do you usually finish in a week? 2-3
Mysteries, Thrillers, Romance, UF
Israel
No. 2019 will be my first challenge
6. Will you be reading books for the AtY RC during the read-a-thon? No.
7. Can you commit to checking in with your team frequently during the read-a-thon? Yes
*8. Are you interested in being a team leader for your group? (i.e. keeping track of team totals, needed tasks, updating spreadsheet, etc.) As this is my first time participating, I would prefer not to.

message 18: by Johanne (last edited Dec 08, 2018 05:21AM) (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1614 comments I´m in!

Medium

2-4

I am an extremely eclectic reader. Mostly fiction: Children´s books, YA, fantasy, sci-fi, literary fiction, classics, romance, graphic novels...

Denmark

No

Possibly. I only jumped on in August, so I am putting Popsugar Challenge first, since I want to finish something this year.

Yes, mostly on the app, since I am visting family some of the period.

No.

message 19: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 1526 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)? medium
2. How many books do you usually finish in a week? Normally 1.5 but I'll be off that week and have a ton of small or quick books lined up to read
3. What genre do you read the most? Hmmm I shift around a lot but I'd say YA, non-fic, or literary fiction. For that week I seem to have a lot of YA lined up. One to help with my book # for the year and two because I need to get some off of my list.
4. Which country do you live in? USA
5. Are you reading in order for the AtY RC? No
6. Will you be reading books for the AtY RC during the read-a-thon? I should be done the challenge by then so no.
7. Can you commit to checking in with your team frequently during the read-a-thon? yes I'll be off from work for most of it.
8. Are you interested in being a team leader for your group? (i.e. keeping track of team totals, needed tasks, updating spreadsheet, etc.) No - I'll be traveling one day and have to work a couple of days and on those days I don't think I'd have much time.

message 20: by Marina H (new)

Marina H | 1315 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)?
Normally I would say medium but since we're travelling and visiting family this Christmas it might be slow.

I don't think I'll finish more than 2 books during this read-a-thon

Contemporary, historical, mystery

Denmark

No

No

Yes

8. Are you interested in being a team leader for your group?
Not this time

message 21: by Mindy (last edited Dec 09, 2018 10:28AM) (new)

Mindy Jones (mindyrecycles) 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)? medium

2. How many books do you usually finish in a week? Two

3. What genre do you read the most? Fiction (literary fiction, classics, contemporary fiction, historical fiction, science fiction, thriller, mystery, YA, children's), but not heavy fantasy or heavy romance. Also memoir and narrative non-fiction.

4. Which country do you live in? United States

5. Are you reading in order for the AtY RC? Yes, but next year.

6. Will you be reading books for the AtY RC during the read-a-thon? No

*8. Are you interested in being a team leader for your group? (i.e. keeping track of team totals, needed tasks, updating spreadsheet, etc.) Sure, that sort of thing is right up my alley! Also I'm only working two days during the readathon period.

message 22: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Turcios | 1071 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)? Slow, very slow

2. How many books do you usually finish in a week? Half? :D However I always finish at least one book during read-a-thons (plus graphic novels)

3. What genre do you read the most? YA and Fantasy

4. Which country do you live in? Norway

6. Will you be reading books for the AtY RC during the read-a-thon? Looks like I will :(

7. Can you commit to checking in with your team frequently during the read-a-thon? Of course

*8. Are you interested in being a team leader for your group? (i.e. keeping track of team totals, needed tasks, updating spreadsheet, etc.) No, that week is always a really busy week and with me being a slow reader, being a team leader could result in a catastrophe :P

message 23: by Tabitha (new)

Tabitha | 38 comments 1. Medium.
2. 1-2, but I have 5 books I want to have finished by Jan 1.
3. Fiction, realistic fiction.
4. USA.
5. No.
6. No.
7. Yes.
*8. No.

message 24: by Kathy Jo (new)

Kathy Jo (kjsotr) | 261 comments 1) medium
2) 1-2
3) I've been resting more nonfiction recently. I enjoy suspense and a variety of fiction.
4) US
5) I tried, but it didn't of long! LOL
6) I just he one book left, hope to finish
7) yes
8) no, not sure I would have enough time I would have to do it right.

message 25: by Evelyn (new)

Evelyn | 253 comments 1. Medium
2. 2-3
3. Everything except fantasy.
4. USA
5. No maybe next year.
6. Yes
7. Yes
*8. No

message 26: by Ira (new)

Ira | 268 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)? Medium
2. How many books do you usually finish in a week? 2-3
3. What genre do you read the most? Fantasy
4. Which country do you live in? Norway
6. Will you be reading books for the AtY RC during the read-a-thon? Propably.
*8. Are you interested in being a team leader for your group? (i.e. keeping track of team totals, needed tasks, updating spreadsheet, etc.) No, I dont't think I am that oragnised right now

message 27: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (mich2689) | 476 comments 1. Medium
2. 2 average length books (~300 pages)
3. Literacy fiction, fantasy, classics
4. Myanmar
5. Yes
6. Yes, only ATY books
7. Definitely
8. I would rather not this time around because I am a bit behind on my ATY challenge and I’d like to spend as much of my time reading

message 28: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 330 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)? Fast
2. How many books do you usually finish in a week? 4
3. What genre do you read the most? Sci-fi/fantasy
5. Are you reading in order for the AtY RC? I'm finished
6. Will you be reading books for the AtY RC during the read-a-thon? I'm finished
*8. Are you interested in being a team leader for your group? I love my spreadsheets, but have never done this Read-A-Thon before. It would probably be best for me to be a helper.

message 29: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Emily Bourque (emilyardoin) | 7026 comments Mod
- Medium to Fast.. probably fast for this Read-A-Thon, since I'll be off work!

- 2ish

- Historical fiction, contemporary fiction, YA

- The US

- Not this year, but I will be next year!

- Possibly... I may have one or two left to finish for the 2018 challenge, and I'll be starting 2019's challenge

- YES!

- Yes! You know I love a spreadsheet!

message 30: by Marin (new)

Marin (marinbeth) | 175 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)?
Medium

0-2, it really depends on the length of the book

Mysteries, horror

USA

No

Yes, but not exclusively

Yes, at least once a day

No -- this is my first one, so I'd like to get a feel for what it is

message 31: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Barstad (maidenoflight) 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)?
Medium

2-3

Nothing sticks out more then any other

USA

No

Yes

Yes

No, I don't have a computer so can't do spreadsheets.

message 32: by Debra (new)

Debra Barstad QUESTIONNAIRE {This helps us sort teams! :D}
medium
2 or more
horror, mystery, thrillers
USA
no
yes
yes
only if needed

message 33: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 943 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)?
Medium
1-2 but am hoping the read-a-thon will inspire me to end the year strong!
Literary and historical fiction
US
Nope
No, I already finished the challenge.
Yes!
No, I will leave this to the spreadsheet experts that we have in this group!

message 34: by Erica (new)

Erica | 458 comments 1. Medium
2. 1-2
3. Literary fiction
4. China but I’m in Canada for the holidays 😊
5. No
6.Yes, I have 1.5 left!
7. Yes
8. No

message 35: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 391 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)?
***Slow

***This will be a busy time for me, so I'll say 1-2

***Romance

***Canada

***I just joined so next year will be my first year

***No

***Yes I'm always on Goodreads

***No, since this will be my first time

message 36: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Brown | 379 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)?
Slowish

Usually 1, but I usually get 2 or 3 done for a read a thon.

Thriller, sci fi, mystery

USA

No

I can. I have so many prompts to catch up on.....

Absolutely

*8. Are you interested in being a team leader for your group? (i.e. keeping track of team totals, needed tasks, updating spreadsheet, etc.) It looks like we have enough volunteers already, so unless you need me, I will pass.

message 37: by Mini (new)

Mini (mini_sagas) | 65 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)?

Medium, I reckon.

Hm, some weeks none others upto five.

I'm not very genre loyal.

UK

No.

No.

Very much so (school hols!)

No.

message 38: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3469 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)?
Usually medium, but pretty fast at the moment.
I average around two a week, but so far this month I'm finishing one a day as I'm super motivated.
Nonfiction and classics.
Switzerland.
I was, but I'm finished!
No.
Yes.
I don't think so.

message 39: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hilded) | 770 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)?
In this sense, slow.

Everything from 0-2

Historical fiction, literary fiction and classics with an occasional fantasy and noir book thrown in the mix.

Norway

No

Probably

Yes, at least when the main Christmas days are over.

As much as I love a good spreadsheet, I will be travelling visiting family for Christmas, so will only have access via the app most of the time. So no, it's too hard to update only on mobile.

message 40: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 906 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)? Kind of slow right now
2. How many books do you usually finish in a week? 1 maybe two but read more during read-a-thons
3. What genre do you read the most? mystery
5. Are you reading in order for the AtY RC? Close but not in perfect order
6. Will you be reading books for the AtY RC during the read-a-thon? yes
7. Can you commit to checking in with your team frequently during the read-a-thon? yes
*8. Are you interested in being a team leader for your group? (i.e. keeping track of team totals, needed tasks, updating spreadsheet, etc.) wouldn't be able to commit.

message 41: by Veronica (new)

Veronica | 794 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)? Slow
2. How many books do you usually finish in a week? About 1 but usually finish at least 2 during the readathon
3. What genre do you read the most? Historical fiction and YA
5. Are you reading in order for the AtY RC? Yes
6. Will you be reading books for the AtY RC during the read-a-thon? Yes
*8. Are you interested in being a team leader for your group? (i.e. keeping track of team totals, needed tasks, updating spreadsheet, etc.) Not really, but could help someone else if needed

message 42: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Rayner (paperbackshay) | 14 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)?
Medium
2-3 depending on how much time I have, because it is Christmas break, it may be more.
Contemporary YA
Canada
2019 will be my first year for the challenge so I am not currently doing it
No
Yes!
No because it is my first time