EPBOT Readers discussion

Reading Challenges 2018 > Week 49 Check In

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 876 comments Mod
Hi everyone!

Hope your reading is going well.

For those trying to finish reading challenges, good luck! You can do it! For those finished, congratulations! For those not participating, hopefully you are doing well on any personal goals you might have :)

I've been in a re-read groove this week.

I finished Requiem for the Sun, working on the second trilogy arc of the series so I can read the newest trilogy next year.

Tall, Dark & Hungry - needed a mental break, the symphony of ages series is long and dense reading.

Currently reading Elegy for a Lost Star - second book in the second trilogy arc, it's shorter than the previous one, hopefully I get through it reasonably fast.

Also listening to Death Masks while i work on my cross stitch.

QOTW:

Do you like getting books as gifts, or do you prefer to do your own book buying?

Generally I like doing my own book buying. I read SO MUCH, it'd really take someone doing some good research to find a book that interests me that I haven't read. Also I have limited shelf space, so mostly i've been buying digital or reading from the library. Lately it has to be a book that I LOVE if i want it physically on my shelf. However book gift cards don't go amiss, and I'd probably appreciate a book gift if someone actually did take the time to go through my good reads and figure out my taste and what I have and haven't read.

message 2: by Daniele (new)

Daniele Powell (danielepowell) | 164 comments Finished X, which means I've completed alphabet soup for 2018.

Grand total of challenges completed = 5
Popsugar
Book Riot
ATY
Modern Mrs. Darcy
Alphabet Soup

95 books, at just over 24K pages. Going to try to get to 100, and maybe 104 (or 2 a week).

QOTW: I love them all. That being said, I've just had a flooding problem in my home, so that's kicking me in the butt to declutter and pare down my physical collection. Indigo and Amazon gift cards are always welcome :)

message 3: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Klinich | 140 comments I have several books on my wish list, ones that I know I'm going to want to reread multiple times in the future, or series where I'm only missing a few. I have some authors where I buy their books as they are released, but most of the time I do library books. I don't usually like people to pick books out for me.

message 4: by Susan (new)

Susan LoVerso | 291 comments I finished Moonlight Cove. That was a fluffy romance novel, it fit the bill for light reading and now I'm ready for something else.

I ended up having to return Play On: The New Science of Elite Performance at Any Age to the library as a DNF. I ran out of renewals. It was okay, not super engaging. I happened to pick it off the New Books shelf when getting something else at the library.

I am still listening to The Strange Case of the Alchemist's Daughter when I walk alone. It is going slow because my neighbor is in town and available to walk for next few weeks. So you'll be hearing about my slow progress with this for a while to come! I am thoroughly enjoying it though (about 2:45 into a 13+ hr audiobook). When I do listen I walk longer so that's a plus!

QOTW: I tend to not read books given to me as much as books I've chosen. I'm not sure why that is. Last Christmas my daughter got me a great compromise gift, a 3 month subscription to Book Of the Month club. That was enjoyable because I received a "book" as a gift but I got to choose it myself (from a limited selection). I enjoyed all 3 books I chose and would not have otherwise read them. I then passed them all on to her too.

But mostly it is the library for me.

message 5: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 876 comments Mod
Susan, I got The Strange Case if the Alchemist’s Daughter for my book flood last year! I really enjoyed it. Serves as an example that book gifts CAN be good if well researched :)