Start by marking “Elegy for a Lost Star (Symphony of Ages, #5)” as Want to Read:
Elegy for a Lost Star (Symphony of Ages, #5)

Elegy for a Lost Star

(Symphony of Ages #5)

Elegy for a Lost Star sets the stage for a major turning point in the Symphony of Ages series.

The dragon Anwyn--who has lain for three years in deathlike sleep in a grave of rock and black coal is freed by the cataclysm that concluded Requiem for the Sun. Disoriented and confused, she remembers only two things: the person who trapped her in dragon form and locked her i
Mass Market Paperback, 427 pages
Published April 1st 2005 by Tor Fantasy (first published November 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Elegy for a Lost Star, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elegy for a Lost Star

House of Blades by Will WightRiddle-Master by Patricia A. McKillipThe Scourge by Roberto CalasHere Lies Death by Harlan VaughnWar for the Oaks by Emma Bull
Best Fantasy Books Under the Radar
1,973 books — 2,082 voters
Eragon by Christopher PaoliniThe Hobbit or There and Back Again by J.R.R. TolkienEldest by Christopher PaoliniBrisingr by Christopher PaoliniDragonflight by Anne McCaffrey
Dragons
1,217 books — 2,280 voters

More lists with this book...

Gaijinmama
Jan 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This fifth book in Elizabeth Haydon's Symphony of Ages series is a darned good read, but our heroine Rhapsody is starting to have a few Really Bad Days, and I mean Bad on the scale of Agent Jack Bauer from 24. While I adore Rhapsody, I was slightly annoyed that, more than in the previous volumes, she needed her (male) friends to save her pretty pregnant butt. We'll cut her some slack, though. Not only is she dealing with the worst case of morning sickness ever recorded, but she has pissed off a ...more
Jo
Aug 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2017
I don't have a pleasant review for this one. There's a reason that I never finished it the first time I tried reading it, way way back in 2008, besides the fact that I knew book 7 didn't have a release date (and wouldn't until 2014).

I know part of my displeasure with this book was the audiobook narrator, who just really needs to calm down and stop putting too much emphasis on all of his words. It creates this weird feeling of anticipation or building up without conclusion, like a series of independent
Doc Opp
Apr 07, 2008 rated it liked it
All you people thought I had stopped reading trashy fantasy novels because my last few posts were about novels that mature well-read, literary folk read. Ha, Fooled you!

Er... anyway, the continuing story of Rhapsody and her allies as they attempt to stop the destruction of the world by yet another insanely powerful magical nemesis. Those nemesi just keep popping up, don't they?

Rhapsody was considerably less whiny in this book, which was a definite plus. Grunthor was for the most part missin
Elb4966
May 31, 2012 rated it it was ok
(Only read 2/3 of the book.)

The book jumps from different POVs randomly without any unifying content, with a great deal of time spent on the back story instead of what was currently happening. Also, the book is giving previous side characters a main role, seemly without reason. A lot of the side/main characters pov could be cut down and add more meat to the main plot of the book.

After reading 2/3 of the book, I still do not know what the main storyline is supposed to be about. I think the auth
Lyn
Jan 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is the 5th in the Rhapsody series.
In this book we learn that when Emily and Sam had their first "encounter" she became pregnant. But because Sam/Ashe is a Dragon/Human the pregancy was put into a type of hybernation. So, until she and Ashe finally married and became a "spiritual union" the embryo inside her could not develop. So Now she's full on pregnant, and apparently it is a very, very long gestation, and since I've never been pregnant it is difficult for me to relate fully, but O
Rory
Jan 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoy this series. The first book was a little confusing but finally this fifth book answers the mystery that started it all. There are not as many characters as I am use to in a prolonged fantasy series but in this case it is a good thing because you become very attached. If you can bear not getting all the answers until late in the series than I highly recommend Elizabeth Haydon’s books.
Rose
Nov 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
Once again, there was still something missing. Seriously, I felt like I was just hearing about the characters instead of being right there with them, like how the first three books made me feel. Another thing that bothers me, is that they don't have anymore deep, romantic parts. I thought this book was considered romance?
Jessica
Mar 19, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2009
The series should have ended after Prophesy. It's almost like Elizabeth Haydon began fan-ficing her own work. Characters do unlikely things, develop new talents, and in general, it's sort of become, "Throw magic at it and make it all better," sort of writing.
Laurie (AFozenBookParadise)
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 4-star-books
4.5 The thing that bugged me was how many sub-plots there were. It was hard to keep track of and some of the plots had nothing to do with the main plot. I'm sure they will come into play in The Assassin King, but it left a lot of name bobbling around in my head after their story was dropped. Some reappeared neared the end and I almost forgot who they were and why they were important.

Now onto the many strong points of this novel. It's consistent with the rest of the series in lore and world buil
Laurel
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I just can't find the right words to tell people how much I LOVE this universe!
Aelvana
Dec 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
When the mountain peak exploded, it shook up more than boulders. Anwyn, confused but awake, is desperate to remember who she is, and who it is that makes her blood boil for revenge. Talquist slowly consolidates his hold on Sorbold; Faron somehow survives the wreck of Michael's ship, though possibly to a worse end. As danger mounts from every side, the Cymrian alliance is preparing for a renewal of peace; Rhapsody and Ashe continue preparations for the birth of their child. War is coming---the on ...more
Jeremy Preacher
Jul 12, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy
Look, I don't like these books, ok? I reread them because they'd been taking up space on my shelves for a literal decade and a half, but I don't like them, and they get worse after the first trilogy, not better as I was hoping. (To be fair, the *prose* gets a whole lot better - Haydon definitely improved her craft over time. But the characters, the pacing, and the story actually get *less* compelling.)

This volume is almost 100% filler and villain-building, because after the first tri
Reixma
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
"The dragon Anwyn has been freed and, disoriented and confusesd, remembers only two things; Rhapsody - the woman who trapped her in a dragon's body and locked her in the grave - and an all-encompasing desire to wreak vengance. Menwhile Achmed, the Firbolg King, rebuilds his shattered home as a guild of assassins plot to revenge themselves upon him for killing their leader. And horribly deformed, hugely powerful, magical being is travelling through a carnival of freaks towards an evil despot who ...more
Benedict
Oct 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, fantasy
This volume picked up significantly from the last. I found a lot more of the magic and worldbuilding that I enjoyed in the first series here, and some of the character development comes back around. In some of the weirder plotting I've seen from a fantasy novel, this book sort of does away with a number of premises and characters from the previous volume. Not that they're missed, but it's strange, if weirdly believable. The things that are retained are, at least, the more interesting ones, and t ...more
Jace Mae
Jun 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
I couldn't get past the first few chapters as the story jumps around to different points of view without establishing any character development or even a main plot. This is further confused by flashbacks to previous events that work to obscure the story rather than bring any sort of clarification. Admittedly I have not read any other book in the series but I know of several books I could jump right into the middle of and still get an idea of who the characters are and what they hope to accomplis ...more
Joshua
May 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
This second book of the second trilogy was ok. I read it much faster than the first book, as there was a lot more action. Now I know that I am reading fiction and that certain things need to happen to keep the story going, but I found the end with Faron and Talquist just a little too simplistic... I mean, why have Faron rampaging at all? Couldn't the two of them just have bonded upon his creation? I guess he had to get that last scale back and get all of his evil thoughts together before mutely ...more
Katie
I was pretty excited that there were more books after the original three, I didn't enjoy them quite as much, but they were still fun to read.
Taryn
Jan 01, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: paper-books, fantasy
Again, the end chapters in this book I think were maybe the best, simply because there was so much going on, so many of the characters had their own trials and tribulations to deal with apart from each other, you were dying to see what happened to them. Friendships and loyalties are tested, new beginnings come about and even a bittersweet ending. Though it ended on a bit of a humorous note, the story was built up to be ready to spill over into the final book, which I have just started.
Alix
Mar 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Not too bad, not as good as her other books, but if you'd like to finish the story it carries it along well.
EDIT: 2nd read through, I did not like it as much as the first three. It picks up exactly where "Requiem for the Sun" ended. An interim book that attend to tie up loose ends while introducing new antagonists, and leaves it floundering a bit.
Re-reading to catch up with the story before reading the final three books in in the series.
Sami
May 29, 2015 added it
I am still completely in love with this series. This particular book had a few slow parts that were repetitive of the previous books, but still well worth the read! Looking forward to the next one.

(sorry had phone issues and forgot to do my book updates. I'm guessing on date completed. It did take me longer than usual to finish but not because the book was bad. just have been in a reading funk lately )
Robin Green
Aug 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I originally read this in 2005, I think. So last year I decided to re-read the whole series again since the author released more books in this series. I enjoyed this all over again. Here's one of my favorite moments:

"Grunthor lifted a glass and toasted the Archons.
"Well, Oi've always told you lads to use what ya got, and use what ya know. Oi guess this proves ya all know hrekin."

I just love Grunthor. He has a way with words.

Danielle
Sep 03, 2013 rated it liked it
This is as far as I got with this series and the reason I kept with it so long was mostly due to Achmed....also because up until the time I read these, I hadn't really read a ton of other fantasy and realized that there is much better on offering. The series is a decent read if you aren't picky about unrealistically beautiful people trying to save the world.
Joe
Mar 01, 2011 rated it it was ok
A very disjointed read. It wasn't until almost 3/4 of the way thru it that I actually became interested in the characters and what was happening with or to them. The ending was unsatisfying in that it just set up the next installment of the series.
This book might have been more enjoyable if I had read the preceding one. I won't be looking for it or the sequel though...
Joseph Vanucchi
Aug 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eating these up

Kinda wish that the ratings system went to 10 stars though I'm not at all saying this would get less than 10. It just feels like I am giving constant perfect ratings which I guess I am. Really like this author and series. Could be because I am so entrenched in this world, but whatever; awesome read
EJR
May 09, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
I've read a lot of reviews on this book and there is a lot of complaints about repetition and reminders from the other books (1-4) of the series. I agree she repeats a lot. When reading in order straight through it is annoying but not overly so.

This was not the best of the series so far, but a lot of build up for future books that promises good plots.
May 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
Haydon is a big fan of bringing enemies back from the dead -- you thought he was vanquished forever, but NO! -- and this book reaches the farthest. A little hokey? Yes. But an entertaining read, nonetheless.
M.L. Tishner
Mar 17, 2014 rated it it was ok
Out of Haydon's Symphony of Ages series, this one was the weakest. I love her world and I love her characters (which is why I will continue to read her works) but I felt that this one was even more soap opera-y than the others.
Ginn
Jan 21, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
It was interesting but way too long. The plot was centered around Rhapsody's pregnancy, which isn't interesting enough to carry a book. Basically this one was setting up the next book, which should be better.
Liz
Jul 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2009
I hope this series never ends!
Brenda
Oct 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: brenda
I just love all of her books..... <3

• Sinner (Wayfarer Redemption, #4)
  • Treason Keep (Hythrun Chronicles: Demon Child, #2)
  • Sons of the Oak (Runelords, #5)
  • Wolf Captured (Firekeeper Saga, #4)
  • Twilight Rising, Serpent's Dream
  • Dhiammara (Artefacts of Power, #4)
  • Legacy of the Wolf: Cheysuli Omnibus #2
  • Guardians of the Keep (The Bridge of D'Arnath, #2)
  • The Rose of the World (Fool's Gold, #3)
  • The Mageborn Traitor (Exiles, #2)
  • To Light a Candle (Obsidian Mountain, #2)
Elizabeth Haydon (* 1965 in Michigan) is a fantasy author, whose 1999 debut, Rhapsody: Child of Blood, garnered comparisons with Goodkind, Jordan, and even Tolkien. She has written two fantasy series set within the same universe, The fantasy/romance/whodunit fusion called The Symphony of Ages and the young adult series The Lost Journals of Ven Polypheme.

An herbalist, harpist, and madri

Symphony of Ages (9 books)
  • Rhapsody: Child of Blood (Symphony of Ages, #1)
  • Prophecy: Child of Earth (Symphony of Ages, #2)
  • Destiny: Child of the Sky (Symphony of Ages, #3)
  • Requiem for the Sun (Symphony of Ages, #4)
  • The Assassin King (Symphony of Ages, #6)
  • The Merchant Emperor (Symphony of Ages #7)
  • The Hollow Queen (Symphony of Ages #8)
  • The Weaver's Lament (Symphony of Ages, #9)